EPA Considering Banning Lead Ammunition. Action Needed! - Page 2

EPA Considering Banning Lead Ammunition. Action Needed!

This is a discussion on EPA Considering Banning Lead Ammunition. Action Needed! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Geez! The EPA is way out of control. I have to test my well water, I mean my Trancient Commercial Public Water System, 4 times ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EPA Considering Banning Lead Ammunition. Action Needed!

Geez! The EPA is way out of control.

I have to test my well water, I mean my Trancient Commercial Public Water System, 4 times per year for coliform bacteria or they get reall ornery. In 24 years we never failed a test. But keep testing and spending money looking for a hasrmless bacteria that doesn't even exist in the system or we'll come shut you down.

Next thing you know they'll be telling us we can't hand load depleted uranium or tungsten-nickel-cobalt alloy!

Interesting copper alloy propaganda: http://www.iws.org/Lead%20Alternatives.htm
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reinhold View Post
    Geez! The EPA is way out of control.

I have to test my well water, (deleted) 4 times per year for coliform bacteria or they get reall ornery.
    Are you sure that you aren't being asked to comply with State or local health laws rather than Federal/EPA regs.

My folks had a deep well dug in 1947, and even back then they were required by The State Health Dept. to bring a water sample in periodically for testing. There is nothing new about this and I think you may be mistaken about the source of the requirement. And anyway, it is for your health. What if you had young kids drink water at your home and it was contaminated by E. coli; especially the O157 strain which makes kids so deathly ill?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Are you sure that you aren't being asked to comply with State or local health laws rather than Federal/EPA regs.

My folks had a deep well dug in 1947, and even back then they were required by The State Health Dept. to bring a water sample in periodically for testing. There is nothing new about this and I think you may be mistaken about the source of the requirement. And anyway, it is for your health. What if you had young kids drink water at your home and it was contaminated by E. coli; especially the O157 strain which makes kids so deathly ill?
    Maybe a kid could get his toe stuck in the bicycle chain so we should take the bike in for an inspection every 2 weeks to make sure the chain is at the appropriate tightness for a small fee of $50.00.

This could be waived if the chain was made out of cotton balls. But then some kid might be allergic to cotton and die from that. Probably laced with that 0157 strain.

Government is great when it comes to inspecting agriculture that feeds millions but a mans privately dug well for personal consumption should never be under the same level of scrutiny.

NANNY NATION -

I almost went and wiki'd bicycle chains for a moment so I could sound like an intellectual but no need to prove anything here :P

Back on subject - like an earlier poster said here ... LEAD came from earth and hence it shall return through the means of high speed projectile deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by reinhold View Post
    Next thing you know they'll be telling us we can't hand load depleted uranium or tungsten-nickel-cobalt alloy![/url]
    Umm I wouldn't touch depleted uranium, might get cancer. Not joking. We used it in the Military - Nasty stuff, still decaying. I wouldnt mind not handling that stuff. Still should not be a regulation against that if you ask me. We have too much government and not enough individual.

Anyways what is a rule or regulation to the man whom doesnt follow it anyways. If they ban lead ill just mine the crap my self or melt car batteries and make my own bullets.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Please read the article and pay attention to the part where it says that Congress specifically forbid EPA from doing what is now being claimed they are doing. One thing about Federal Agencies, they do nothing without elaborately laying out the legal authority they have to do it. So, everyone take a deep breath and relax. Congress forbid them from regulating this and they won't.

From the article linked to by the OP: "the Toxic Substance Control Act of 1976, a law in which Congress expressly exempted ammunition."

Nothing is going to happen until Congress changes the law and that ain't going to happen. Relax.

Now, as for lead based fishing lures, Congress didn't exempt those, but there are other substances which can be used. There are plenty of dense ceramic materials. Folks have made sinkers out of pebbles since eternity.

What is really needed is a big bunch of R&D directed to finding (creating through research) a material which will be an adequate substitute for lead or which can be used to greatly reduce the lead content of bullets. That is not an impossible or unreasonable goal.
    ---Hop-- I agree with everything you said here! Seriously this time :-P ..... for once haha

And I do fish all the time and I honestly hate lead weights they are dirty and I like to eat alot of fish I catch therefore I do not think that lead sinkers ought to be banned but there needs to be tons of incentive to research and manufacture alternative materials. If they did lead would slowly disappear off of the shelves anyways.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

That have a lead substitute for fishing, tungsten. Same problem as ammo though. It's more expensive. Lead is just a lot cheaper than any other alternative right now.

And glad to hear they cut the comment period short and admitted they did not have the authority to do this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

http://politics.usnews.com/news/wash...-protests.html

EPA Surrenders to NRA on Gun Control Issue
    EPA rejects attempt to regulate lead in bullets after NRA protests

By Paul Bedard

Posted: August 27, 2010

In a swift and unexpected decision, the Environmental Protection Agency today rejected a petition from environmental groups to ban the use of lead in bullets and shotgun shells, claiming it doesn't have jurisdiction to weigh on the controversial Second Amendment issue. The decision came just hours after the Drudge Report posted stories from Washington Whispers and the Weekly Standard about how gun groups were fighting the lead bullet ban.

I wonder how many Congressmen and Senators also called the EPA during this process. I know "ours" heard a LOT from people.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I thought OBAMA wanted to create American Jobs not destroy them?
    That's what happens when one thinks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links