EPA Considering Banning Lead Ammunition. Action Needed!

This is a discussion on EPA Considering Banning Lead Ammunition. Action Needed! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone else seen this? http://www.nssfblog.com/epa-consider...ke-action-now/...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPA Considering Banning Lead Ammunition. Action Needed!

EPA Considering Banning Lead Ammunition. Action Needed!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    WOW this is suckin'. I am sorry but there are no other ammunition alternatives. Steel does not conform to a barrel, warp, or alter it's shape during the transition from molded and formed to deformed and squeezed through the rifling of a firearm.

We all know this. How do we fight this non sense?

I believe that unless there is an alternative technology that can be sold to all mainstream America, a ban on lead bullets is a direct violation and infringement of the 2a. The right to bear arms, not written but ammunition, go hand in hand as a firearm is not a firearm with ammunition. That would be a violation. I believe that the supremes would need to be involved in this if it were to pass.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    This is Obama's EPA, with Obama's thug running it. They are having a period for public comment, but I'm not holding my breath. What's next, wheel weights?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

GM
    It does not surprise me at all.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Bullets are made slightly larger than the bore they are being rammed through. Not by much but how else do you get a good tight seal...

Anyways how do we fight this? I am not feeling or liking the thought of ramming steel rounds through my barrel.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

State Associations are putting out the word on this.... as legit and needs reaction NOW.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I went to EPAs website and of course they don't have anything about this on there (that I could find). I even went to their lead page and didn't see anything.

That would pretty much put ammunition manufacturers out of business,and trickling down from there everyone elseThey can have my casting equipment when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    I can see a news article in the future,today the Customs and enforcement agents stopped and arrested a white 50sumpin year old trying to smuggle 2 tons of lead into the USA,he claims he needs it to make some plinkin rounds,The Border guards became suspicious when they noticed all four tires looked flat,but a pressure check showed 200 psi
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    State Associations are putting out the word on this.... as legit and needs reaction NOW.
    Yep!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Actually, there is some serious concern about the possible problem of lead levels on indoor ranges. There are alternatives to lead e.g. copper
    http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature%20...eenBullets.htm
    http://www.iws.org/Lead%20Alternatives.htm
    http://www.condorinfo.org/What_the_Experts_Say.pdf

There is a thread about lead levels here
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ure&highlight=

The EPA has also hinted that they might make lead fishing sinkers illegal. This would pretty much shut down many sporting fisheries (e.g. fluke/sea bass charters along the East Coast.)
    The lead issue is simply a means to an end... the end of hunting, shooting and fishing. And there are many who want it to happen.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Please read the article and pay attention to the part where it says that Congress specifically forbid EPA from doing what is now being claimed they are doing. One thing about Federal Agencies, they do nothing without elaborately laying out the legal authority they have to do it. So, everyone take a deep breath and relax. Congress forbid them from regulating this and they won't.

From the article linked to by the OP: "the Toxic Substance Control Act of 1976, a law in which Congress expressly exempted ammunition."

Nothing is going to happen until Congress changes the law and that ain't going to happen. Relax.

Now, as for lead based fishing lures, Congress didn't exempt those, but there are other substances which can be used. There are plenty of dense ceramic materials. Folks have made sinkers out of pebbles since eternity.

What is really needed is a big bunch of R&D directed to finding (creating through research) a material which will be an adequate substitute for lead or which can be used to greatly reduce the lead content of bullets. That is not an impossible or unreasonable goal.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That would pretty much put ammunition manufacturers out of business,and trickling down from there everyone elseThey can have my casting equipment when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    I can see a news article in the future,today the Customs and enforcement agents stopped and arrested a white 50sumpin year old trying to smuggle 2 tons of lead into the USA,he claims he needs it to make some plinkin rounds,The Border guards became suspicious when they noticed all four tires looked flat,but a pressure check showed 200 psi
    I thought OBAMA wanted to create American Jobs not destroy them?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    There is another side effect this would have. Law enforcement agencies have to qualify their members at least anually. Can you imagine what it would do to the budgets of most small departments? Even if a substitute such as copper were used, can you imagine how much copper bullets would cost, considering the cost of copper?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Dear EPA,

I am only doing my ecological part by recyling used lead back into the soil from whence it came.

Sincerely,
    OldVet
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links