"Kicks For Guns" lies..... But so did I.

This is a discussion on "Kicks For Guns" lies..... But so did I. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The link is here, go read it after you take your blood pressure meds. http://www.news-journalonline.com/mt...mit=20&x=0&y=0 Let me start by saying that I hate, loathe, and ...

Thread: "Kicks For Guns" lies..... But so did I.

The link is here, go read it after you take your blood pressure meds.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/mt...mit=20&x=0&y=0

Let me start by saying that I hate, loathe, and despise gun "buybacks" in general but hold a special deep and abundant hatred for any administered by the DBPD in particular. Many years ago they destroyed a beautiful Colt Officer's Model Match revolver turned in at one (and for those of you who don't know, the OMM is not a short 1911 .45) and a Costa Mesa AR180 and I was unable to save either one. The only credit I will give them is that they did get smarter than the days when they offered $50 cash for anything shaped like a gun and $200 for an "assault weapon" when Lorcin .25s could be had for $29 wholesale in bulk and SKS rifles $60 each if you bought a whole crate. My job was stripping them for parts before turning them in.

But how did they lie, you ask? Well first they never said there were different prices for different stuff. We collcted up all the junk and unrepairable guns, frames, BB guns, and barreled actions that collect in gunshop backrooms over the years and took them to the event. The first thing the Firearms Expert did was ask where they all came from. When reminded of the no-questions-asked policy he backpedaled. As they examined the motley collection of dangerous guns that needed to get off of the street to make our children safe the topic of price came up. When the opinion that one of the BB guns might be worth more than $10 and therefore should not be turned in came up, a supervisor said "once they hit the table, they are mine". Meaning he would not return private property he had illegally confiscated. Let me just say, if you don't have a gun friendly lawyer number in your cell phone, you should. If that lawyer happens to be representing another person who had a legally owned gun confiscated and destroyed by abuse, theft, and neglect while in DBPDs evidence locker that is just a plus. In the pile was a flea market type pistol crossbow and they declined to pay for that but didn't want to return it either. Fortunately they were reasonable.

Now I don't know if it was the lady quoted in the article, but a lady there mentioned to one of the experts that her gun was not "registered". They didn't correct her so in case they knew something no other gun owners did the question needed to be asked. "How does a gun owner register a gun, where, and how much"?

Avert eyes, cough, shuffle feet, backpedal, spin answer.

Now I'm not saying if the person they mention in the article was a male or female but of all those nasty guns they turned in ( broken Grendel, cracked Firestar, several corroded top breaks in .32 S&W long or .32 short Colt, Mauser action with failed rechambering, broken Lorcin .25 or 2, a couple of single shot shotgun receivers, and a couple BB guns and a pistol crossbow) they payout was nowhere near $600. Liars.

Unfortunately, it was so slow and so poorly attended that plan B of sitting in the parking lot with cash and the Blue Book was deemed to low a priority considering the heat. And besides, that neighborhood is way too dangerous to be siting in a car with cash. Makes me wish the DBPD would do something about the crime problem.

Your thoughts are welcome as always.
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; August 26th, 2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: fixed link?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    I am another that considers gun buy back programs as a publicity stunt to make people think the government is trying to fight crime. If they really want to make a difference how about a turn in a criminal program instead.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Gun buybacks are among the long list of asinine and misguided ideas promoted by the gun grabbers. Other stupid ideas include ballistic fingerprinting, registration schemes, magazine capacity limits, and waiting periods.

But personally, I'm of the mind that the real powers behind these ideas aren't as stupid as they look to us. Sure, there are morons who actually believe that such ideas will work, but the people behind them have other reasons for wanting to disarm the American citizenry.

I won't say any more because I don't want to hijack your thread.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Thats the link. Sorry about that. I fixed it to a search link to all the stories. The Aug 21st is the one. I see they printed a correction about "registering" guns which is not possible in FL.

Short version is that they advertised it as $50 a gun no questions asked. We didn't have a lot of notice at the gunshop where I work or we could have collected more junk. One guy turned in a pen gun for $50, which is a good deal considering it's an illlegal NFA item that could have got him real prison time.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I'm kinda hoping St Louis MO has one shortly after I get home. Being a civilian contractor in a combat zone pays danged well and I plan on being as close as I can get with a sign reading....

SHOW IT TO ME FIRST

Might pick up a couple good buys

Sponsored Links