FIRE MISSION: Dan is at it again

This is a discussion on FIRE MISSION: Dan is at it again within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://blogs.roanoke.com/dancasey/20...#comment-75406 It's kind of funny how certain gun activists blow a gasket whenever you point out murders, shootings or other crimes by idiots or insaniacs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIRE MISSION: Dan is at it again

VIP Member

Thumbs down FIRE MISSION: Dan is at it again

http://blogs.roanoke.com/dancasey/20...#comment-75406

It's kind of funny how certain gun activists blow a gasket whenever you point
    out murders, shootings or other crimes by idiots or insaniacs with handgun
    permits.
    SNIP
    Join in the fray. Mostly Pro-RKBA, so far -- but jump right in, the water is fine.

My reply:

4 .We often hear about the incidents in which car accidents claim lives.
    OTOH, We seldom hear about the thousands, if not millions, of times that vehicles save lives. It happens every day all around us, but you don’t publish these events in the newspaper. Police don’t file reports, the FBI doesn’t compile the stats, etc.
    It is much the same with firearms. Every day guns are used for legal, legitimate purposes by normal people like you and I and yes, they do save lives. As with vehicles, the good side is seldom heralded. In many cases, there is not a shot fired. Police don’t file reports, the FBI doesn’t compile the stats, etc.
    However, for mis-use of both these tools (vehicles and firearms) police do file reports, the FBI compiles the stats, and in the case of firearms, biased organizations cherry-pick them for their OMG, OMG, OMG tactics of mis-representative data and anecdotes.
    Facts are facts, a patently emotional reaction to one singular incident doesn’t invalidate those facts.
    As long as we are swapping anecdotes here is one where no shot was fired and a firearm may well have saved the life of a innocent.
    http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/G...spook-burglars
    Girl loads rifle to spook burglars
    11-year-old ready to defend herself
    Updated: Friday, 13 Aug 2010, 7:04 AM MDT
    Published : Wednesday, 11 Aug 2010, 6:23 PM MDT
    Maria Medina
    ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – When three teenage burglars pried open the door of a northwest Albuquerque home they had no idea they would be met by a brave little girl, police said Wednesday.
    Alyssa Gutierrez, 11, took matters into her own hands Tuesday when police said when Miguel Marquez, Eduardo Zubiate and Jesus Quintana broke into her home.
    Gutierrez armed herself with a loaded rifle.
    “I was planning, if they came right next to me, I would shoot them,” Gutierrez said.
    But Gutierrez, who will start sixth grade next week, never got the chance because she’d spooked the burglars.
    SNIP
    And another where an attacker was shot and killed:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ooting10m.html
    A 25-year-old man who was fatally shot while attacking a stranger Saturday at Westlake Plaza had previously served time in prison for setting fire to a day-care center his mother operated out of her Phinney Ridge home.
    Daniel Culotti was shot shortly after 11 a.m. by a 52-year-old man he was assaulting in an unprovoked attack, according to Seattle police. The victim of the assault was carrying a handgun and had a concealed-weapons permit, police said.
    Comment by DaveH — August 30, 2010 @ 12:35 pm
    Last edited by DaveH; August 30th, 2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo & added FIRE MISSION to title
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

while its impossible to convert a jackhole like Dan, at least you can convert some readers.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Come on folk.

Most of the 30 comments are Pro-RKBA -- but we need to more.

Let's bury this thread on his blog.

Please repost on other RKBA sites -- as well as reply, yourself.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Dan's articles and the Roanoke Times are good for 1 thing....lining the birdcage!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Posted.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'm posting away, numerous times. Dan is a one-trick pony and he has this same crap-ola about once a month. Same song, same verse.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    BugDude, thanks for the support!

Hope others from this Forum are also joining in.

As ctsketch said,
    while its impossible to convert a jackhole like Dan, at least you can convert some readers.
    WE might convert some readers. The "we" would be stronger if more joined in. The anti-RKBA folk on Dan's blog try to shout down the few pro-RKBA through repetition and out numbering the anti-RKBA folk. IMHO, the pro-RKBA need to stand fast and not give the anti-RKBA forces a bully pulpit to reinforce each other with their mantra repetition.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I posted as well, but I cannot continue. I can only put up with stupid for so long before I start saying things I shouldn't(like the current 2 bedwetters using the guns to penis size argument as soon as they realize they're on the losing end of the argument).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I posted as well, but I cannot continue. I can only put up with stupid for so long before I start saying things I shouldn't(like the current 2 bedwetters using the guns to penis size argument as soon as they realize they're on the losing end of the argument).
    Come on packing.

You can do it.

Take a deep breath.

Then destroy them. Or maybe call Dan out on his "I'm not anti-RKBA, but...." Don't let wear you down

BTW -- which post were yours?

BTW2 -- thanks for the support.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Come on packing.

You can do it.

Take a deep breath.

Then destroy them. Or maybe call Dan out on his "I'm not anti-RKBA, but...." Don't let wear you down
    LOL... I DID
    BTW -- which post were yours?
    BTW2 -- thanks for the support.
    No sir. Thank you. You're doing most of the work
    I think I can I think I can I think....
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I know all too well what you mean by only being able to take stupid for so long. I've been battling the stupid on Dan's blog for months and months. Same crap over and over again. The funny thing is they just can't argue their point successfully and I've been able to make some considerable progress with many of the blog readers over this period of time. If you take every opportunity to use their "logic" to expose the fallacy of their position, you gain a little ground every time this pony puts on his same old, tired trick.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I know all too well what you mean by only being able to take stupid for so long. I've been battling the stupid on Dan's blog for months and months. Same crap over and over again. The funny thing is they just can't argue their point successfully and I've been able to make some considerable progress with many of the blog readers over this period of time. If you take every opportunity to use their "logic" to expose the fallacy of their position, you gain a little ground every time this pony puts on his same old, tired trick.
    Yup

BTW.

I just answered a shot at you.

For anyone interested here's my latest:

206. …. “Are you saying that if Cara Holley had owned a gun she would be alive today?
    SNIP”
    Not speaking for Tom.

However, I would never say in any case that “had “X” owned a gun (s)he would be alive today.”
    Carrying is no guarantee.

It’s just like the fire extinguishers that I keep in my kitchen, basement, workshop, garage and vehicles are no guarantee that I could successfully fight off a fire and save my life, my family, my house, etc.

However, when seconds count and the FD is minutes away (at best). Those fire extinguishers give me a fighting chance to save lives and things.

Does having those fire extinguishers mean that I have some irrational fear of fire? No. It just means that I am taking responsibility for my safety and the safety of my family in the unlikly event of a fire — by being prepared to defend them until the FD can arrive.

Will I be able to save them or myself in case of a fire? I hope so. I would like to have a fighting chance to. But the fire extinguisher is no guarantee.

Guns are no different. They do not guarantee that I will be able to save my family or myself when seconds count and the LEOs are minutes away (at best).

Whether the fire extinguisher or the gun, the fighting chance to safe your family or yourself is all you get. A fighting chance is all I am asking for.

There are no guarantees in the crises of life. A fighting chance is the best you will get. Being prepared to for that fight gives one a far better chance that doing nothing and depending on dumb luck.

Re: your other questions:

If I wearing pants, I am carrying – unless banned by situs law (and I avoid such locations when I can).

Being a man, your “gynecologist’s feet-in-the-stirrups” is not a problem, for me. However, I do carry in a number of doctors’ offices (whenever there is no situs ban).

As for bathing, swimming, etc most modern guns work well as long as the barrel is clear. However, if you are worried there are some that work quite well.

As for your “engaging in intimate activities” there are a number of ways to conceal a gun nearby — some rather ingenious.

All that being said, SA (Situational Awareness) is first requirement and likely best tool in SD (Self-Defense). There no winners in a gunfight — only survivors, at best. The best gunfight is the one you avoid through SA. Had Cara Holley had better SA, carrying a gun might have been academic. However, her SA having failed, carrying a gun could have given her fighting chance; especially had she has good training.

So, get trained, get armed, be smart, wise in your associates, sharp in you SA, and be trained & prepared to for fighting chance to save your life — on the off chance you need it.

Comment by Dave — September 1, 2010 @ 1:57 pm
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Well DaveH, I think we finally wore them down on that one...it was an endurance race. Persistence looks to have paid off. Not that it changed their minds, but it sure did quiet them down. They haven't had anything to say on that particular thread today. I think we make a pretty good team battling the insanity over there. It's tough to do by yourself.

What was interesting to me (unless I misunderstood what the article said) was that Dan claimed to be a permit holder. If he is (as the article said) a permit holder
    why is he trying to do such a job on other permit holders who choose to carry? I think Dan has a problem.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justjim View Post
    What was interesting to me (unless I misunderstood what the article said) was that Dan claimed to be a permit holder. If he is (as the article said) a permit holder
    why is he trying to do such a job on other permit holders who choose to carry? I think Dan has a problem.
    He got a CHP to prove that in VA you can get a CHP without ever having had a handgun in his hand. Part of his OMG, OMG, OMG manta.

There is nothing to prove. Any honorable discharge, a hunter safety course, or the on-line course he took is qualifying. Just hype, on his part.

BTW -- he says he has never actually carried. I'm not sure he even own a handgun.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links