NC travel during a state of emergency

This is a discussion on NC travel during a state of emergency within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The following would be important to know for anyone traveling through NC during a state of emergency. From a VA-ALERT. [Re-posted with prior approval of ...

Thread: NC travel during a state of emergency

VIP Member

Thumbs down NC travel during a state of emergency

The following would be important to know for anyone traveling through NC during a state of emergency.

From a VA-ALERT.

[Re-posted with prior approval of VCDL]

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

An alert from Grassroots North Carolina reminds us that anytime the NC Governor declares a state of emergency, gun rights outside of your residence go out the window. So, if you are traveling down that way armed, you might not want to do so if there is a state of emergency going on.

Virginia does not have this problem - VCDL successfully pushed a bill after Hurricane Katrina that prevents gun owners from being disarmed during an emergency. There is a loophole in it though - if you are sheltered in a K-12 school, you cannot have a gun outside of your vehicle.
    --

GRNC Alert 09-01-10:

Gov. Perdue's Order Suspends Rights of NC Gun Owners

HIS NAME IS EARL AND YOUR RIGHTS ARE NIL

With the approach of Hurricane Earl, the North Carolina state of emergency statute (N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-288.7) has once again reared its ugly head. Gov. Perdue has declared a state of emergency for the entire state of North Carolina.

As a result it is a Class 1 misdemeanor "for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance." There is no exception for recreational shooting. There is no exception for hunting. There is no exception for having a concealed carry permit. The prohibition applies to all possession -- open carry, concealed carry and transportation in a vehicle.
    Be warned!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

What if one was traveling 'through' the state when a State of Emergency is declared?
    It can't be tucked away in a trunk?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Or you could take the word of the state and travel without worry.

http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/Index2...,001948,001963

I trust the state web site and an email stating that it was not impacting the carry of weapons off premise over the juvenile name calling by the GRNC.

BUT only for this one. The next SOE and the calls will start again and continue until they get tired of being pestered and get the law changed.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What if one was traveling 'through' the state when a State of Emergency is declared?
    It can't be tucked away in a trunk?
    Until they address the whole bad law there is NO provision for ANY transport anywhere in the state off ones premise. That's why the memo from the Gov and AG are kind of like a hall pass but that could even be called into question until we get things fixed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Until they address the whole bad law there is NO provision for ANY transport anywhere in the state off ones premise. That's why the memo from the Gov and AG are kind of like a hall pass but that could even be called into question until we get things fixed.
    I agree, until our benevolent masters in the state legislature change the law I have little faith in anything put out over the Internet.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

We need a change of leadership in Raleigh so they can appoint some 2A friendly folks into this committee chairs. Then we might get a real Castle Doctrine, loose this and other bad laws, and make some positive steps in regards to 2A.

There is also a lawsuit filed by the SAF on this very law. Either the legislature will change it, or the courts might.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links