Open Carry in a CCW State?

Open Carry in a CCW State?

This is a discussion on Open Carry in a CCW State? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First things first: the name of this site is "Combat Carry" but all I see being discussed here are primarily concealed issues. Somewhat of a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry in a CCW State?

Open versus concealed

First things first: the name of this site is "Combat Carry" but all I see being discussed here are primarily concealed issues. Somewhat of a disparity in my opinion.

Secondly: the moderators seem sensitive when it comes to folks entering into some honest debate. So I guess everyone just better agree with everything that everyone else posts or the moderators will silence them using the age old fallback, "this is a private forum and you better...blah, blah, blah..."

Finally: let's have a heated debate regarding open versus concealed carry. May I suggest you begin your post with qualifying information such as the number of years you have carried concealed and/or open.

My shot across the bow: concealed seven years, open three years.

Open carry is far quicker to draw from versus concealed. Crimes happen in fractions of a second - you don't have time to fumble around and dig for your tool. The more attention you focus on drawing the less you can pay to the situation at hand. If you knew you were going to be in a gunfight, which would you rather draw from...be honest. Which would you rather draw from if your primary or alternate arm were injured and useless. Try drawing concealed with one hand versus open.

When a criminal enters a potential crime scene what is on his mind? He is looking for police cars, cruisers, etc. He is not looking for a pistol hanging off the hip of some guy like you or me. I have been carrying open for the past few years and for every one person that has recognized a pistol on my hip I have passed by one hundred others that have not. When people see a black thing on a hip most folks think "cellphone" or "PDA" not gun!

Please, someone, just one person, any of you, share a story about a citizen carrying open that has been blown away by a criminal. Anyone...anywhere...just one article.

I know I have been within spitting distance of violent felons while carrying open and guess what? They knew I was prepared to defend myself, they were fully aware that I knew where they were, none ever attempted to "take my gun away and shoot me" while some actually left the area unusually fast.

So let's have some fun here and hang it out. Open guys comment on open experiences - concealed guys comment on concealed ones. I have carried both ways so I am covered on both.

Honest Debate Is Fine As long as it is not a Flame fest ..

And it has its own topic.. And if you have a problem with the way we mods do things theres 2 things

#1 You can Pm us

#2 or Leave

Now that is harsh . We have Rules and wether that is a blah blah fallback to you that is the way it is..

Now with all that said hopefully this will be a good Thread

Debate all you want keep it friendly and this will be left Run .

Hope someone does have a Story or 2 about it as i Havn't seen any one open Carry here.

I prefer to draw from where I conceal my weapon as I can access it from both hands, besides I dont think you can open carry in FL. I think you need to conceal or have it in a 3 step case but im not 100% on that.

Lead Moderator
    Do as you wish, keep your posts level headed and not insulting and you will be fine. Misbehave and flame or troll ya get
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    The problem with concealed vs open is - proven over and over - it becomes or is a contentious subject - you defend your corner and Joe Blow defends his.

You want ''heated'' debate, then you all but guarantee the thread will not survive - because some folks when heated will break forum rules by getting way too personal. It happens - I have seen it way too often - ''mine is better than yours''.

I am not concerned how folks choose to carry - their decision entirely. I have to say tho even tho my area is pretty gun oriented in SW PA - I have yet to see in any store in this region anyone carrying open - over the near five years I have concealed carried. Rather wish I did.

I carry open at home and around home - if someone out front sees it - tough dodo - I am not concerned.

I do not however choose to display to possible crazy sheep who might disturb my otherwise quiet life and also choose to be discrete as a ''one upmanship'' deal - anything goes down - I am there and initially an unknown source of pain!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I personally open carry because I am not comfortable enough with the sequence of events involved with concealed carrying: identify target, clear cover garment, draw weapon, acquire target, fire. Open carrying just seems to be less complicated.

I have carried concealed for six months now. They do not allow open carry in California. It is concealed or nothing.

As for this forum I appreciate our mods and the civilized nature of things here. One thing is that you can be new and learning and nobody makes you feel bad about it. I have only seen the mods step in when things are heading in the wrong direction. The plain fact us none of is are forced to stay here.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Here in Fl. the weapon has to be concealed. The 3 step rumor doesn't apply.

We have only had CCW in Missouri for a little over 2 years and most counties dragged there feet in issuing permits, held it up in court and as you say bla, bla, bla. So, in a nut shell I have almost a year carrying concealed and for me that is all I would want to do, concealed that is.

Really, it is IMO a personal preferance on how one carries or even can carry in there state and I feel and I know I can draw as fast maybe even faster than OWB open carry. How do I know this you ask? well, I practice, practice and practice some more, with like minded fiends, alone, with my GF, with LEO friends that I have, taking DP classes locally, etc.

There are faults and concerns with both methods of carry, neither are perfect or immune from failure. I myself would rather not be spotted by anyone and have the element of surprise as well. I also have other defensive skills that can be used/applied in a situation that is going down and or going bad. It was my only means of defense for many years before CCW.

That's basicly it, I prefer concealed carry as my method even if I could open carry.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I think it is uncalled for, for you to come on and start bashing the moderators. I don't think you have had time to see and learn what goes on here. The moderators do a good job regulating the posts and making sure they stay on topic. Furthermore, the only time they "silence" anyone is if they are vulgar, or get off topic. I don't agree with your statements you have made, and that is ok, but unlike other forums, it is expected that namecalling and bashing will not occur.
    Although it is no ones business, I have been carrying concealed everyday for 3+years. I feel it is necessary because of the profession I am in, and the public I deal with. People do not need to know I have a gun, or that I carry one. again none of there business. I do feel like I can draw from my 3:00 strong position conceal pretty darn fast, and I think it is a matter of training and practice. I don't want the added attention open carry would bring. For me, carrying a gun is not a status symbol or a don't mess with me sign. It is a means of me protecting myself and my family....period.
    There is my response.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Concealed carry for 15 years because I have to in CT open carry around the house, however that said I believe I would still conceal just because I would not want the attention it could draw. There have been many a summer day that open carry would be perfered but like I said no open carry allowed.
    As far as draw for concealed or open it makes little differnce for me the time it takes is splitting hairs.
    Tactically I think you have a greater advantage concealed as nobody expects it but thats me.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

concealed 1.5 y, open: 0 y

I have seen many sensible reasons for carrying concealed posted by those who conceal, and have seen good reasons for open carry posted by those who practice open carry. I don't feel strongly either way. We can all imagine numerous scenarios where open carry saves the day and an equal number where concealment wins.

I conceal exclusively only for the pragmatic reasons that I prefer to avoid public debates with antis and to avoid potential problems with ticked-off LEOs who may be dispatched to investigate the proverbial "man with gun".

If everyone who carries did so openly, so that sightings of pistols carried by nonLEOs were extremely common, I would do so too. That would be the ideal situation! If that were the case, I wonder if laws would soon be enacted to allow property owners to selectively choose to ban only concealed pistols or only openly-carried pistols...

Texas bans open carry, as do several other states. Open carry is theoretically legal in this state outside of Denver and (I think) a couple of Denver suburbs. I just don't want to be the first one "out of the closet".
    Last edited by Anubis; June 30th, 2006 at 12:21 AM.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    O.C. for 8 months. I've never had any serious problems and I realize I've only been carrying for a relatively short amount of time..... But, I do believe that concealment, as someone said earlier, will win the day sometimes. Other times, a criminal may see an armed citizen and think twice about possibly doing something. The latter is a somewhat passive-aggressive tactic depending on how you look at it. I don't believe one is superiour to the other nor is it really a debate anyone is going to win - though "winning" is doubtfully the goal of this thread. haha

I used to carry very rarely. My friend Taylor Behl went missing on Septmeber 5th of last year. I won't go into it and I'm not looking for a pity party, but I'm sure that if more people had been OCing in the area of where she went missing (V.C.U. - Richmond, VA), I'm sure she would still be alive today. This is why I open carry and will probably why I will do so for a long time. I can conceal if the situation warrants it.

OD*
    28 years concealed now, no real interest in open carry.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I agree with some of your comments in regard to "open" carry. However, "open" is a very loose term and I am not exact on how you meant it. Is this a IWB vs OWB debate or strict OPEN carry (As in no cloths covering the firearm)? If you mean strict open than I would argue that it takes away the element of surprise that you hold over a BG....also I don't like the idea of having my weapon in plain site and vulnerable to being pulled away from me.
    Last edited by WJP9; June 30th, 2006 at 01:19 AM.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links