An email from Assemblyman Michael patrick Carroll

This is a discussion on An email from Assemblyman Michael patrick Carroll within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe NJ can get something going? Although I wont hold my breath. I recieved this email this morning. I encourage NJ residents to send letters ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An email from Assemblyman Michael patrick Carroll

Maybe NJ can get something going? Although I wont hold my breath. I recieved this email this morning. I encourage NJ residents to send letters as well!

Recently, I sent the following letter to the Chairman of the New Jersey Assembly Law and Public Safety Committee:

Hon. Gordon Johnson
    545 Cedar Lane
    Teaneck, New Jersey

Re: A-1384

Dear Chairman Johnson:

Shortly after my election to the Legislature in 1995, I introduced the predecessor of the above-cited Bill. Same was referred to this Committee, as has been every subsequent incarnation thereof, where it languished.

In light of the recent decision by the United States Supreme Court in McDonald, there exists essentially no doubt that many of New Jersey’s draconian restrictions on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms will not survive a legal challenge. As a result, New Jersey has essentially two choices: legislatively respect the constitutional rights of its citizens, or face the inevitability of being compelled to do so by the judiciary.

The consequences of legislative inaction – leaving aside the denial of fundamental constitutional rights – could be hugely expensive for the taxpayers. Litigation is, as you know, very costly and, since the plaintiffs are almost certain to prevail in a challenge, they would likely be entitled to an award of counsel fees in addition to invalidating NJ’s unconstitutional laws.

I respectfully request, then, that the Chairman schedule the above proposal for Committee consideration with all deliberate speed.

Respectfully,
    Michael Patrick Carroll

As you have written me in favoring Second Amendment rights, let me ask you a simple favor:

Write to the committee chairman, as well as each member of the Committee, respectfully requesting that this measure be posted. In order to maximize the impact, I ask you to do it via snail mail (we old folks tend to respect paper more than electrons). Use your own language so that it cannot be dismissed as a form letter. Ask each of them to respond to you, in writing, respecting their position.

Already, some Members of the Majority see the handwriting on the wall. Senator Van Drew recently introduced a concealed carry law. Although it needs work – the fees are unconscionably high and the training requirements disconcertingly vague – it represents a welcome step in the right direction. Now is the time to press for true reform.

The addresses of the other committee members are here:

Assemblyman Nelson T. Albano
    21 North Main St.
    Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

Assemblyman Jon M. Bramnick
    251 North Ave. West 2nd Floor
    Westfield, NJ 07090

Assemblywoman Elease Evans
    100 Hamilton Plaza Suite 1400
    Paterson, NJ 07505

Assemblywoman Amy H. Handlin
    890 Main St.
    Belford, NJ 07718

Assemblyman Paul D. Moriarty
    129 Johnson Road Suite 1
    Turnersville, NJ 08012

Assemblyman David P. Rible
    1955 Highway 34 Bldg. 2A
    Wall Township, NJ 07719

Assemblywoman L. Grace Spencer
    223 Hawthorne Ave.
    Newark, NJ 07112

Assemblyman Gilbert L. "Whip" Wilson
    Audubon Commons Shopping Center
    130 Blackhorse Pike 1st Floor Suite D-3
    Audubon, NJ 08106

Together, we can bring New Jersey into the mainstream of America once again.

Michael Patrick Carroll
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think I'd vote for him.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

That's one heck of a response!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Moderator
    Sounds good.
    I'll beleive it when I see it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Any change is going to need to begin at a grass roots level. It is only 5 weeks until elections. Find out who supports your second Amendment Rights locally and statewide. Start writing letters and even think about distributing flyer's to friends and businesses that care about their rights. Does NJ have a gun forum? Send them your info. too.

http://www.nrapvf.org/
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Most of the voters in NJ are anti's, could care less about guns and/or they are uninformed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Most of the voters in NJ are anti's, could care less about guns and/or they are uninformed.
    Right there is Opportunity! Catch apathetic eligible voters when their guard is down. It can work both ways.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I think I'd vote for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Any change is going to need to begin at a grass roots level. It is only 5 weeks until elections. Find out who supports your second Amendment Rights locally and statewide. Start writing letters and even think about distributing flyer's to friends and businesses that care about their rights. Does NJ have a gun forum? Send them your info. too.

http://www.nrapvf.org/

I'm in the same camp as these guys.

Hopefully they will see that there is nowhere to hide on this issue and they must reform and concede or move over, for someone who is behind ones right for self protection.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Based on this he sounds like a decent guy. I guess you'll have to see if he puts his money where his mouth is on this though, but at this point I would say promising...

He is one of the good guys in NJ. The problem is that his bill can't get out of committee, indicating there may be a possiblity it could pass or some politicians may pay some kind of political price for voting against it. Add to that the new governor can't be counted on to veto such legislation.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

I think he brings this bill or some form of it with him every year. The interesting part, anyone I talk to says they are for the rights of gun owners. Guess I'm mixing with what the rest of the state would call a bad crowd.

NJ does have a gun forum. I am active on it. I actually just emailed the ANJRPC because they may be looking for someone who has been denied a CCW in NJ so they can file a lawsuit I believe.. I have not been denied, but decided to withdraw my aplication . I recieved an immeadiate response via email by their legal council. I gave them times when I could be reached via phone and awaiting their call to explain my story. We will see where this goes.

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Quote Originally Posted by joecs1 View Post
    NJ does have a gun forum. I am active on it. I actually just emailed the ANJRPC because they may be looking for someone who has been denied a CCW in NJ so they can file a lawsuit I believe.. I have not been denied, but decided to withdraw my aplication . I recieved an immeadiate response via email by their legal council. I gave them times when I could be reached via phone and awaiting their call to explain my story. We will see where this goes.

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/
    They're looking for someone who has been denied(on need grounds,presumably) post McDonald.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Thanks for the link to njgunforums. Just joined.
    I'll do what I can to get things moving here in Jersey.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

GM
    I like that.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links