Colorado SUPREME Court will review guns on campus

Colorado SUPREME Court will review guns on campus

This is a discussion on Colorado SUPREME Court will review guns on campus within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Various links: http://www.theconstitutionalisttoday...im-gun-rights/ http://www.ammoland.com/2010/10/25/c...er-cu-gun-ban/ http://www.ednewscolorado.org/2010/1...un-case-appeal http://volokh.com/2010/10/25/colorad...lege-campuses/ Whether the General Assembly intended the Concealed Carry Act to divest the Board of Regents of its constitutional and ...

Thread: Colorado SUPREME Court will review guns on campus

VIP Member

Thumbs down Colorado SUPREME Court will review guns on campus

Various links:
    http://www.theconstitutionalisttoday...im-gun-rights/

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/10/25/c...er-cu-gun-ban/

http://www.ednewscolorado.org/2010/1...un-case-appeal

http://volokh.com/2010/10/25/colorad...lege-campuses/

Whether the General Assembly intended the Concealed Carry Act to divest the Board of Regents of its constitutional and statutory authority to enact safety and welfare measures for the University of Colorado’s campuses.
    Whether a constitutional challenge to a statute or ordinance regulating the right to bear arms is governed by the deferential “rational basis” standard of review or a more stringent “reasonable exercise” standard of review.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Good luck. No problems in Utah since this was opened up that I'm aware of. Plenty of students and university staff packing...

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a victory for the good ole 2A.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Strange that the question even needs to be asked, isn't it? The 2A is pretty darned simple, clear in its meaning, stated at a time when the debates swirling around it supported the concept of a citizenry being able to defend themselves. I believe that, deep down, judges in every state know the 2A has been abused to within an inch of its life. Let's hope that the trend in renewed sanity keeps rolling, and that the Colorado SC judges will be honorable to what must be done. The 2A didn't say only white dudes or rich aristocrats or temporarily-elected putzes may arm themselves; rather, it acknowledged a preexisting right of all people to arm themselves, and TO BE ARMED if they chose, without restrictions beyond the restriction against government to violate that. It's about bloody time we see the whole ox cart turned over, with respect to wholesale denial of citizens' ability to be armed wherever and whenever he deems it suitable.

Go, Colorado, Go!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Strange that the question even needs to be asked, isn't it? The 2A is pretty darned simple, clear in its meaning, stated at a time when the debates swirling around it supported the concept of a citizenry being able to defend themselves. I believe that, deep down, judges in every state know the 2A has been abused to within an inch of its life. Let's hope that the trend in renewed sanity keeps rolling, and that the Colorado SC judges will be honorable to what must be done. The 2A didn't say only white dudes or rich aristocrats or temporarily-elected putzes may arm themselves; rather, it acknowledged a preexisting right of all people to arm themselves, and TO BE ARMED if they chose, without restrictions beyond the restriction against government to violate that. It's about bloody time we see the whole ox cart turned over, with respect to wholesale denial of citizens' ability to be armed wherever and whenever he deems it suitable.

Go, Colorado, Go!
    While I agree with you, the bolded comment would require uber-liberal judges to actually produce LOGICAL thought...not gut-level reactions. I don't see most of them capable of keeping their deepest fears and ingrained prejudices from producing a well-thought-out ruling.

Hope there are enough who aren't thinking out of those prejudices to actually get this right.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Go, Colorado, Go!
    100% agree and it is interesting to note that the stats show that CC is MORE beneficial for:
    1. Minorities
    2. Low income
    3. Densely populated areas
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Hope there are enough who aren't thinking out of those prejudices to actually get this right.
    The mere fact there hasn't been widespread review and reversal from above (appeals courts and SCOTUS) proves the myopia and disease is endemic. It's called POWER, and it has blinded nearly everyone who has it.

Perhaps being "run out of town on a rail" should be brought back into vogue. Being tarred and feathered, perhaps. IMO, if one can't at the very least adhere to the Constitutionality of a proposed statute or case, then that person has zero business being allowed to occupy a Judge's seat for any length of time.

The November 2 Election may in fact have an effect here, interestingly enough, because there is a conservative movement afoot to displace all of the Colorado SC Justices (Vote "No" against re-seating them) due to their progressive tendencies. While not a Colorado SC expert (or even the Colorado Judicial system), I hope the election has an impact, if none other than to send them a strong message.

Here's the information I was referring to:

Clear the Bench Colorado:

In addition to the need for replacing many of the liberal legislators and the governor in Colorado, the Colorado Supreme Court must have a replacement for the liberal judges in place. Do not rely on the information from the Blue Book. Repeated rulings by Colorado's Supreme Court – called the "most activist, partisan state Supreme Court in the nation" – have demonstrated their contempt for the very Constitution they are sworn to uphold.

* Check out http://www.clearthebenchcolorado.org/ for important information on the judges and the need to vote NO on them remaining in office.
    We need to get some 2A Suporting SC Justices in place now.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    One of the things I looked for in voting for judges on this ballot was their stance on gun control. It tells you a lot about how they view the people and the constitution.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    One of the things I looked for in voting for judges on this ballot was their stance on gun control. It tells you a lot about how they view the people and the constitution.
    Heavy supporters of gun control while holding seats in office equates to a solid fear and hatred of the thought that citizens might be able to employ weapons, irrespective of the fact that such deployment has everything to do with helping citizens survive violent attacks against them. In short, such people are against life, against citizens surviving criminal attack, and effectively FOR criminals and the status quo. Absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The November 2 Election may in fact have an effect here, interestingly enough, because there is a conservative movement afoot to displace all of the Colorado SC Justices (Vote "No" against re-seating them) due to their progressive tendencies. While not a Colorado SC expert (or even the Colorado Judicial system), I hope the election has an impact, if none other than to send them a strong message.

Here's the information I was referring to:

We need to get some 2A Suporting SC Justices in place now.
    This will only matter if the elected governor is not John Hickenlooper. If it is he'll just replace the Justices with others having the same judicial philosophy and nothing changes. As a side benefit, if he is elected, the whole of Colorado will become a sanctuary, not just the city of Denver. He's leading in the polls.

the whole of Colorado will become a sanctuary, not just the city of Denver. He's leading in the polls.
    It depends on the poll, but you're generally correct, as much as it irritates me to no end. We need to start the cleaning somewhere. We'd at least get the chance to put the lobbying pressure on him if he had to appoint some. Our 2A rights are pretty clean out here (except Denver), but a good fight must be given. Unfortunately, I am in Denver tonight.

I read elsewhere that Colorado is about 30% "Independent", so maybe that bodes well for Tancredo? He is 2A friendly compared to JH.

I fear that the swing is going to go from one extreme to the other. A complete polarity shift will not bode well.

I am honestly surprised that it is going this far in court, and that the regents keep fighting. They already have in state proof that campus carry had no detrimental effects other than a panicked flock of sheep once they realized that there were students and possibly teachers armed for the last 8 years on a couple of campuses with no incidents, and a large number if incidents on a campus that has been no carry from the start.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I fear that the swing is going to go from one extreme to the other. A complete polarity shift will not bode well.

I am honestly surprised that it is going this far in court, and that the regents keep fighting. They already have in state proof that campus carry had no detrimental effects other than a panicked flock of sheep once they realized that there were students and possibly teachers armed for the last 8 years on a couple of campuses with no incidents, and a large number if incidents on a campus that has been no carry from the start.
    What do you mean by 'the other extreme', that everyone is carrying? That would be GOOD!
    Utah has had the right to carry in K-12 schools without incident for quite a while, but no one talks about it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What do you mean by 'the other extreme', that everyone is carrying? That would be GOOD!
    There are other issues/political stances that the Pro 2A candidates have that I strongly oppose. As always, a choice of evils. Our third party leading candidate is just about perfect except for one point, and it is a touchy one. Wait and see I guess.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Utah has had the right to carry in K-12 schools without incident for quite a while, but no one talks about it.
    True for CCW permit holders. Otherwise regular laws apply. To my knowledge, no incidents have been reported. I can tell you that on college campuses there are a lot of people carrying, even on the private campuses...
    ---

Links