Bloomy's gun-plan backfire

This is a discussion on Bloomy's gun-plan backfire within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mayor Bloomberg's plan to slash fees for pistol permits is facing a blaze of opposition in the City Council, with many members saying the move ...

Thread: Bloomy's gun-plan backfire

Mayor Bloomberg's plan to slash fees for pistol permits is facing a blaze of opposition in the City Council, with many members saying the move is a misfire for one of the nation's leading voices against gun violence, The Post has learned.

Bloomberg is pushing a council bill -- introduced at his request by Public Safety Committee Chairman Peter Vallone (D-Queens) -- that would cut the $340 price for original or renewal applications to between $25 and $110, depending on the type of permit.

During a closed-door caucus meeting of about 15 Democratic members of the council yesterday, roughly 10 lawmakers voiced objections to the measure, several sources said.

"There's no way I could vote on this. Since I've been in the council, we've voted on numerous bills where fees and fines were increased and it would send a strange message to New Yorkers that the one fine we look to reduce is the fee and fine to permit a gun," Councilman Erik Dilan (D-Brooklyn), who did not attend the caucus, said.

City Hall sources said the bill, which seems to undercut one of the mayor's signature causes, is intended to avoid legal battles.

"The National Rifle Association is very good, and we don't want to open ourselves up needlessly to legal challenge," one source said.

But Dilan called that rationale "very questionable."

"I don't know how anybody could . . . speculate that we're going to be sued by the National Rifle Association or any other entity for the fee when it's been set at that rate for several years," he said.

Council members are scheduled to meet today with city Criminal Justice Coordinator John Feinblatt, who will try to persuade them to support the bill, sources said.

Bloomberg announced in May his proposal to decrease fees as part of a broader plan to ease the city's gun-application process.

He also announced that the NYPD would accept credit cards for renewal fees and post applications online.

The announcement was seen as a response to the 2008 Supreme Court ruling that struck down parts of the gun-control law in Washington, DC, and other legal challenges to gun laws elsewhere in the country.

"This bill cuts red tape without reducing our ability to keep guns out of the hands of criminals," Bloomberg spokesman Jason Post said.

[LINK]

VIP Member
    "There's no way I could vote on this. Since I've been in the council, we've voted on numerous bills where fees and fines were increased and it would send a strange message to New Yorkers that the one fine we look to reduce is the fee and fine to permit a gun," Councilman Erik Dilan (D-Brooklyn), who did not attend the caucus, said.
    I have long considered any “fee” to exercise ones Second Amendment rights a fine or punishment.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Bloomberg announced in May his proposal to decrease fees as part of a broader plan to ease the city's gun-application process.
    Interesting. The mayor is proposing simplifying the administrative process, hence the reduction in fees. Yet the Council members are haranguing for increases (in these tough times) as well as implying the "strange message" would be that Guns, of all things, would be easier to get. A strange bias to have, when amazingly enough the mayor is showing a distinct lack of bias in simply relating a fee reduction to a simplified administrative process ... as it should be.

Note, too, that the two who are quoted for their ingenious remarks did not attend the Council gathering. Note, as well, Councilman Dilan's statement that he "could not vote on this." Well, isn't that a Councilman's job? He's going to take the money for the job, but refuse to do the job?

I suppose my having quoted just a little bit of that article means that I have taken the statements "out of context." Yeah.

Political hacks to the end. Way to go, City Council.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"I don't know how anybody could . . . speculate that we're going to be sued by the National Rifle Association or any other entity for the fee when it's been set at that rate for several years," he said.
    Has Councilman Dilan had his head buried in the sand?

Fortunately, the city's criminals don't have to worry about background checks, fees, and permits.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    It does not surprises me; that guy is totally out of his mind.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    "....Since I've been in the council, we've voted on numerous bills where fees and fines were increased and it would send a strange message to New Yorkers that the one fine we look to reduce is the fee and fine to.......
    I don't know what grates on them more.....the fact that a fee/fine would be reduced or that it deals with guns! What's worse is voters keep re-electing this boobs!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    ..."This bill cuts red tape without reducing our ability to keep guns out of the hands of criminals," Bloomberg spokesman Jason Post said.
    It's still amazing to me, that the social elite and Harvard grads are so markedly unintelligent.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    It's still amazing to me, that the social elite and Harvard grads, are so markedly unintelligent.
    Exactly what I was thinking. The stats are pretty clear. When are these ignoramuses going to realize that a simple little thing like a high license cost directly translates into lives lost.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Note, too, that the two who are quoted for their ingenious remarks did not attend the Council gathering. Note, as well, Councilman Dilan's statement that he "could not vote on this." Well, isn't that a Councilman's job? He's going to take the money for the job, but refuse to do the job?
    Why not? We have Congressmen who sign legislation without reading it first.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

fine...interest choice of words....are gun owners punished?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I think the whole nation should follow Vermonts law on guns the we would be good. What's that sane if you out law guns only out law will have guns.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Has Councilman Dilan had his head buried in the sand?

Apparently, he hasn't been paying any attention to this year's SC rulings...

Sponsored Links