New York must modify tough gun laws to make it less vulnerable to legal assault

This is a discussion on New York must modify tough gun laws to make it less vulnerable to legal assault within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New York is loosening the superstringent rules for obtaining a gun in the city. We are the last people to want more guns on the ...

New York is loosening the superstringent rules for obtaining a gun in the city.

We are the last people to want more guns on the streets - but trust us, this is a good thing.

[LINK]

Well it's a step in the right direction. I still wouldn't live there.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

If they loosen the restrictions to get a cc permit, they will put in place many more ways to disqualify you from getting it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    To steal a line from Braveheart, the only problem with NY is that it's full of NY'ers (except for those who have invaded FL).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If they loosen the restrictions to get a cc permit, they will put in place many more ways to disqualify you from getting it.
    That's their acknowledged / published plan. It's has all been discussed here before.

It's an absolute rear-guard action of massive resistance to any real change. What they can no longer do boldly up front and in your face, they plan to accomplish by hundreds of roadblock. One comprehensive statutory road block is too big a target to survive a court challenge. So, the plan is to create a maze of obstacles.

Maybe these three threads should be merged.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Notice the reasoning behind this. It is not because they feel we have the right to do it...it is because they fear the lobby and the lawyers. Their minds have not changed... its all PR
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

King Bloomberg laughs at you silly little people and your misguided peasant ideas of "rights" and "freedom".
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Notice the reasoning behind this. It is not because they feel we have the right to do it...it is because they fear the lobby and the lawyers. Their minds have not changed... its all PR
    Exactly. The last thing NYC wants is another McDonald vs. Chicago, so they're doing the bare minimum to comply with the SCOTUS ruling. I don't think it'd stop the lawsuits from coming though.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

Some of the lawsuits in the works in NYS are directed towards the draconian administrative restrictions that state law currently allows local licensing authorities to place on the state licenses they issue. State law allows for the issuance of unrestricted licenses to NYS citizens so that they can carry 24/7 other then in "sensitive places" like schools, court houses, etc. Many counties within the state issues unrestricted licenses.

Unfortunately state courts have upheld the power of the licensing authority to establish significant administration restrictions on the licenses they issue including having to prove extraordinary need (documentation of direct threats against their life) in order to be issued a license without these carry restrictions. This is the situation in NYC, Nassau or Suffolk county.

At a minimum licensing requirements are arbitrarily applied within the state. The right to an effective means of self-defense (firearm) doesn't end when I exit my home. The extraordinary need requirement is capricious and ignors the reality that thousands of individuals walk out the door of their home in the morning with no foreknowledge that they are going to the victim of a violent crime that day.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    "Oh, gee. We are all out of forms. Sorry about that."

"We only accept applications during certain hours on certain days. I'm sorry, but you will have to wait for the next application period. Sorry, I don't have any idea when the next will be."

"Oh, sorry, they changed the application opening to yesterday. Didn't you see the notice? It was right there on the bulletin board. Oops. Someone must have taken it down."

And so on

and so on

Links