State Reciprocity

This is a discussion on State Reciprocity within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now that there is republican control of the Senate, can we expect to see them bring the state reciprocity bill back up again? It almost ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Reciprocity

State Reciprocity

Now that there is republican control of the Senate, can we expect to see them bring the state reciprocity bill back up again? It almost passed last time, and now after the recent SCOTUS ruling on McDonald vs. Chicago, it should be more difficult for opposition to actually vote No.
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

2. Remove Ads

I also believe that if you are issued a CC permit by your State that it should be honored by the other States, just like your driver's license is honored by other States.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I also believe that if you are issued a CC permit by your State that it should be honored by the other States, just like your driver's license is honored by other States.
    Just as it should be...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight412 View Post
    Now that there is republican control of the Senate, can we expect to see them bring the state reciprocity bill back up again? It almost passed last time, and now after the recent SCOTUS ruling on McDonald vs. Chicago, it should be more difficult for opposition to actually vote No.
    We cannot 'expect' anything. With expectations become hopes. Hopes derive out of desperation. Where would you say we are now?

I've always wondered why the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the Constitution hasn't been applied to CCW permits.. still wonder really
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

The Republicans don't have control of the Senate, only the House. They don't have the votes for a bare majority in the Senate and certainly aren't close to the 2/3 majority needed to override the inevitable veto. Also, the previous try was not as close as it appeared. A number of the Yes votes were cast only when it was apparent that there was no way it would pass. That allowed some law makers to have their cake and eat it too; they could point to a Yes vote on the bill to appease pro-2A voters while the failure of the bill provided them with cover from anti-gun voters.

I also don't think such a law would survive a Constitutional challenge. The ink wouldn't be dry before multiple states would try to get it overturned, and however much we might like this Supreme Court for Heller and McDonald, Scalia was pretty clear in his arguments and opinion that he had no problem with the dreaded "reasonable" restrictions, carry among them. And remember, only Thomas sided with McDonald on the basis of Privileges and Immunities; the remaining justices made their decision based on due process.

As much as I'd like to be covered 'coast to coast' when I travel, I'd rather the states come to an agreement and the fed gov not be responsible for it. "He who giveth can taketh away." As inconvenient as it may be, let the states govern themselves on it.

This is where I get into the state powers vs. federal powers thing. I would like to see the states do this not the federal government, I want them to stay out of as many things as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    This is where I get into the state powers vs. federal powers thing. I would like to see the states do this not the federal government, I want them to stay out of as many things as possible.
    +1! I want the federal government to stay out of state business as much as possible! I'd like to see the states work this out themselves.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    The ONLY way I see all states agreeing on full reciprocity is for the rules to be the same everywhere. Since I live in the state with the least restrictive gun laws, for me the rules could only get more restrictive.......no thanks!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I am hoping more lawsuits against these states like CA and NY and cities like Chicago can break these laws eventually. One can hope right?

VIP Member
    It is crystal clear that Congress can legislate in this area as they certainly did with both LEOSA and the interstate travel rules which allow you to bring a gun from one place where you are legal to another where you are legal.

So, I don't see a state's rights issue here at all. If Congress did actually do something, some states like NY, IL, WI, would be unhappy, and some like AZ and UT would be unhappy, but most would be just fine with a moderate law which provided for nationwide reciprocity and nationwide travel.

Republicans don't control the Senate, they control The House. It is entirely possible that given the very close balance between the sides within the Senate, and given that some Dems are pro-gun Dems or from pro-gun states, The Senate could muster a vote to send a bill to The President. It might be very close, 51:49 but it could happen.

I do not think he O is as doctrinaire on this issue as many think, and if the bill is "clean" and doesn't contain some poison pill making it unpalatable, if it wasn't designed just to garner political points by forcing a veto, I think it could get done.

It won't of course, but that is because everyone is going to be too busy trying to win points and maneuver into position for the 2012 games, so expect nothing but gridlock --for two more years.

Face it folks we have a broken political system in which nothing meaningful or effective can get done except by accident or bribe by big bizz.

If both sides don't start to act in a responsible way, and think through policy from the point of view of goals that benefit the public instead of the politicians, we are doomed.

Senior Moderator
    If both sides don't start to act in a responsible way
    Really now,when was the last time that happened?

Which brings me to this conclusion...
    we are doomed.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I am a little surprised to hear people say they want the feds to stay out of this and let the States handle the CCW issues. All these lawsuits that have been filed in the last couple of years and keeps being filed are against States and cities since they feel their SA is being violated. The Second Amendment Foundation is chipping away on the restrictions the states and local governments have been putting in place (Heller, McDonald, and several new ones that are waiting to be heard). In the McDonald case the Supreme court ruled that the second amendment should be incorporated into the 14th Amendment so it would be part of the Bill of Rights that would apply to the states, and not just the Federal Government. This was a great ruling for gun owners, but it would have been much better if they had applied strict scrutiny, but they deferred what restrictions the states could apply to a later case so this was a little disappointing. If they had come back and said the states can not apply ANY restriction, then ALL state gun laws would have to be wiped off the books! Since most of the 20,000 gun laws in the US are by states, it would have reduced the number significantly. We would still have to abide by federal law, but we have to do that today anyway. I'd much rather have to deal with one authority that 50+. We have a similar condition in RI where we have two issuing authority for concealed carry.
    1. Attorney General who is May Issue and you have to give a good reason to get a permit. It's not good enough to say you want to be able to protect yourself.
    2. The local police chief is Shall Issue. Most people would prefer to apply to the Chief, but the problem is many of them don't accept applications or have requirements that cannot be met. Even though there is case law that the Chief SHALL issue, many still don't comply. It costs thousands of dollars to sue, and you would have to sue each chief in the state (even when a new chief is in charge). I would much rather have one authority (AG) be Shall Issue so only one person would have to be sued if he doesn't comply with the law.

I doubt we will see a national reciprocity bill passed like the one that was voted on a little wile ago. I also heard like someone mentioned that they tracked the votes and that it wasn't as close as it appeared. I also doubt the Supreme Court will help us on this issue either, at least any time soon. We can all work with our elected official at the state level and pass legislation that gives reciprocity to all other states. This was done in IA, and as of 2011 any Concealed Carry permit from any state is valid in Iowa. If all of us in the remaining 49 could do the same, the problem would be solved for all of us :-)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    This was done in IA, and as of 2011 any Concealed Carry permit from any state is valid in Iowa. If all of us in the remaining 49 could do the same, the problem would be solved for all of us :-)
    ALL permits are valid in Utah already that only leaves 48.....don't hold your breath!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links