Reciprocity between VA and GA?

This is a discussion on Reciprocity between VA and GA? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For those who live in Virginia, maybe you can answer a question. Why doesn't Virginia reciprocate with Georgia? I've asked this question on a GA ...

Thread: Reciprocity between VA and GA?

Reciprocity between VA and GA?

For those who live in Virginia, maybe you can answer a question.

Why doesn't Virginia reciprocate with Georgia? I've asked this question on a GA forum and the answer I got was that GA would be more than willing to reciprocate, however VA will not. Get VA to accept GA's permits and GA will be happy to reciprocate.

Does anyone know exactly what the hold-up is or the reason the VA will not accept GA's permits?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

No, I don't know why. But I too would be interested in hearing the answer.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I sent a request to our newly elected House Rep (R) for my district to see if he could pursue getting the reciprocity with Georgia to happen for us. Since I voted for him after all.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

For permit reciprocity or recognition, Virginia law requires that the issuing authority provide the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day. Georgia has reported that they do not have this capability at this time.

West Virginia has total reciprocity with Virginia, but not Georgia, so we too feel your pain.

Not sure why, but until then I use a non resident New Hampshire permit that Georgia will recognize. Go figure. It was easy to obtain.

I guess it must be the requirements associated with getting the permit that is the hold up on reciprocity.

It would be nice if all states would at least recoginze the permits of other states in some capacity.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

All the facts you seek can be found in here... http://www.usacarry.com/ ...well, not some of the finer points/questions.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    All the facts you seek can be found in here... http://www.usacarry.com/ ...well, not some of the finer points/questions.
    That's what I'm looking for Ret, is the finer points. The what-for and "why" the two states don't have a reciprocity agreement.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Good answer by mrjam2jab. A work-around for GA if you already have a VA permit is to get a PA non-resident permit. Got mine, all done via mail, in less than a week at a cost of $26.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Good answer by mrjam2jab. A work-around for GA if you already have a VA permit is to get a PA non-resident permit. Got mine, all done via mail, in less than a week at a cost of $26.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

PA will be changing their process beginning 2011...will have to apply in person.

An alternative...although a little more expensive...can be done thru the mail...is Arizona. Reciprocity is almost identical to FL.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    For permit reciprocity or recognition, Virginia law requires that the issuing authority provide the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day. Georgia has reported that they do not have this capability at this time.
    I believe this is also why WV doesn't recognize GA. 24-hour database is required.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I hate it that SC doesnt accept our permits either. THere is a really nice lake right on the border and I cant visit there unless I wear wool.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    I hate it that SC doesnt accept our permits either. THere is a really nice lake right on the border and I cant visit there unless I wear wool.
    SC needs to be sued. They have no unlicensed carry, do not issue to non-residents, and do not accept non-resident permits. So a GA resident is screwed. CO is being sued along these same lines(Peterson v. Lacabe).
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    SC needs to be sued. They have no unlicensed carry, do not issue to non-residents, and do not accept non-resident permits. So a GA resident is screwed. CO is being sued along these same lines(Peterson v. Lacabe).
    You left out the fact that they don't honor GA resident permits either. So yeah, you're right. If you live in GA and have a GA GFL, then you are screwed as far as SC goes. It is completely a "no carry zone".
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Links