Finally, a Post Office lawsuit to quash firearm ban, by NAGR

This is a discussion on Finally, a Post Office lawsuit to quash firearm ban, by NAGR within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.ammoland.com/2010/11/22/l...ffice-gun-ban/...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Finally, a Post Office lawsuit to quash firearm ban, by NAGR

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

That one part struck me,"cannot leave your weapon in your car on their property." I have always left my gun in my truck when i go to mail something.

The parking lot is part of the buildings property & facility, by extension, at a conventional USPS.
    Note how USPS vehicles and such park and are stored there.

We've been through this before here in great detail.
    This is no different than any other parking lot/driveway such as being part of property at ones own home.
    Same goes for the lawn and other contiguous _or_ non-contiguous grounds around it as well.

These facilities are typically leased, or owned, by the General Service Administration (see GSA.gov) for the functional purpose of being a federal facility.
    Exclusions include franchise type USPS locations which are a whole different animal.

Property is not singular to a physical building structure; Unless specifically defined, and by that limited, as so by law or regulation.
    On the rare times that I go on to USPS _property_ I always park my vehicle on some other adjacent property (office park or parking lot for a local gas station in my town) and walk over with my parcels in hand leaving my gun behind at my vehicle secure and state laws as well as Federal regulations compliant.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Hope they win the lawsuit.

There is usually a sign at the driveway entrance that states no firearms allowed on property,same goes for the Veteran Hospitals/clinics no firearms on the property,parking on a lot next door or the street and securing your gun and your legal if you dont have a gun safe,the cable lock that comes with guns around a seat post and thru the ejection port and magwell will deter any theft
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep. ^^

This is a rule of govt. regulation that is not exactly new nor obscure.
    It applies not just to USPS buildings, as is written into the Postal Code, but in fact applies to all Federal govt. 'property' (buildings, facilities, land, etc) including parking lots be it your local USPS or that of the Pentagon (!).
    Again this is nothing at all new nor obscure & unknown.

The only singular notable exception is and has been the passing last year of revision to allow keeping and carrying of firearms at National Park Service property, but specifically not into said buildings and structures (!).
    Also well discussed here many times in the past recent as well as long ago.

Federal facilities are always posted as being federal facilities, and along with that there is always prominent display of no weapons signage including but not limited to firearms in specific.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    There is usually a sign at the driveway entrance that states no firearms allowed on property,
    Strange, I've never seen one...
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The parking lot is part of the buildings property & facility, by extension, at a conventional USPS.
    Note how USPS vehicles and such park and are stored there.

We've been through this before here in great detail.
    This is no different than any other parking lot/driveway such as being part of property at ones own home.
    Same goes for the lawn and other contiguous _or_ non-contiguous grounds around it as well.

These facilities are typically leased, or owned, by the General Service Administration (see GSA.gov) for the functional purpose of being a federal facility.
    Exclusions include franchise type USPS locations which are a whole different animal.

Property is not singular to a physical building structure; Unless specifically defined, and by that limited, as so by law or regulation.
    On the rare times that I go on to USPS _property_ I always park my vehicle on some other adjacent property (office park or parking lot for a local gas station in my town) and walk over with my parcels in hand leaving my gun behind at my vehicle secure and state laws as well as Federal regulations compliant.

- Janq
    What about Plazas that also have a post office? if I park in front of the bank and walk to the USPS is that still a no no?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    What about Plazas that also have a post office? if I park in front of the bank and walk to the USPS is that still a no no?
    Not in FL ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    We've been through this too, and many other yeah but what if's, before...and it was only this past summer.

Best bet would be to run a query on this subject at the search.
    It should come up right away with a May or June time frame as a I recall.

The answer toyour question in such a _specific_ not the majority norm instance of course the parking space used for banking. mall shopping and buying flowers at the local flower hut is open to any and all customers being non-specific to the USPS and NOT being USPS property/grounds...contiguous or otherwise. Same goes for USPS 'franchise' stores at such places (i.e. being inside of a dollar store or some such) as well as those that are located inside of supermarkets.
    Though there are many of these type places around the vast majority of USPS locations are formal USPS only branches and buildings. That is what this item is toward.
    The 'others' such as you describe would clearly not be applicable as the parking spaces are mixed use toward various and multiple general access & use, unlike say ones own home driveway or private parking lot.

- Janq

How about a USPS sub-station that is in a pawn shop that also sells guns? Yes we had one for awhile. I always wondered what the legalities of that was.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

This is really a non-issue in small town post offices...our postmaster is realistic.
    But still, I would never break the law.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    How about a USPS sub-station that is in a pawn shop that also sells guns? Yes we had one for awhile. I always wondered what the legalities of that was.
    If you're talking about a PSC (Postal Service Center), my understanding is that many of them are basically licensees that are privately run and on private property. That's definitely been the case with the few I've actually used. (pretty much just amounts to a counter in a store)

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Wow. Well, the local PO is not posted outside, much less at the parking lot entrances. (I don't think it matters, but the USPS vehicles are parked around back in a lockable yard.) Sure creeps me out to have to go someplace where no law abiding person can carry, even if I'm not at the moment.

I guess I'll use the one in the strip mall, or the station in the local pharmacy. I never thought about leaving it in the car, I see where your coming from however.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links