ATF attempting to reclassify small arms ammunition without public input

This is a discussion on ATF attempting to reclassify small arms ammunition without public input within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...t-public-input SNIP It was learned that ATF was seeking to create a definition of small arms ammunition under the aegis of the Safe Explosives Act. ...

Thread: ATF attempting to reclassify small arms ammunition without public input

VIP Member

Thumbs down ATF attempting to reclassify small arms ammunition without public input

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...t-public-input
    SNIP
    It was learned that ATF was seeking to create a definition of small arms ammunition under the aegis of the Safe Explosives Act. The definition was being created as an opinion letter and had no input from the firearms community.
    SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member
    The ATF is no longer in business to enforce laws now they are trying to disarm America with one chicken crap law at a time.

I actually left a comment on the article with the link provided.

Since when does any government agency look for "public input" before making a decision or handing down the law?

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Boot the BATFE. There is no law enforcement organization that I have more contempt for than the BATFE. Of course they have their uses. But to harrass and entrap gun owners/licensed gun dealers so that they can make a case/prosecution in order to receive more govt. funds, is just plain shady to me. "The Gang" DVD really opened my eyes and exposed the BATFE for what they really are, a bunch of govt. jack booted thugs. And this is JMHO, if anyone's wondering.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Cut their funding.

Wasn't the ATF created due to Prohibition ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Wasn't the ATF created due to Prohibition ?
    Not exactly, but it came to prominence then, but when prohibition ended, since you can't terminate federal employees they had to find something else for them to regulate.

Its earliest history dates from 1789 according to the Oxford University Press. At first tax revenue was its top priority since all three of these items brought in heavy taxes and with that existence of fraud and neglect of duty.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Not exactly, but it came to prominence then, but when prohibition ended, since you can't terminate federal employees they had to find something else for them to regulate.
    So when are they going to stop messing with constitutionally protected rights and start doing something about the underage drinking that killed at least two teens last week in a car that the oldest person and intoxicated driver at that was only 17.

From the MADD fact sheet....
    In 2006, about 10.8 million young people aged 12 to 20 (28.3 percent) reported drinking alcohol in the
    past month. Approximately 7.2 million (19.0 percent) were binge drinkers and 2.4 million (6.2 percent)
    were heavy drinkers. These numbers have essent ially stayed the same since 2002. x
    Traffic crashes are the number one killer of teens xi and 28 percent of fatal traffic crashes involving teen
    drivers are alcohol*related. xii
    Alcohol is the number one youth drug problem xiii in America and more young people die from alcohol*
    related incidents than from all other illicit drugs combined. xiv
    Or how about they join in with the FDA and help with the regulation of tabacco labels?

Glock Certified Armorer

As to when did a government agency ask for comments from the public before making rules...

It's part of the Administrative Procedure Act, and it's required when federal agencies want to promulgate rules. One of those things that so called "constitutional scholars" never bother to learn about because it isn't in the text of the 2nd amendment and doesn't occur to them that they have to read the rest of the constitution for congress's authority to make laws (Article I, Section VIII, Clause 18...) and delegate power to federal agencies as it deems necessary.

I would love to know on what basis they believe anything above .50 would be considered so dangerous...

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.....sounds like it should be a convenience store not a gov't agency.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links