Amtrak now allowing firearms in checked baggage

This is a discussion on Amtrak now allowing firearms in checked baggage within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1248542762713 Firearms in Checked Baggage Effective December 15, 2010, passengers will be allowed to check unloaded firearms and ammunition between Amtrak stations and on Amtrak ...

Thread: Amtrak now allowing firearms in checked baggage

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1248542762713

Firearms in Checked Baggage

Effective December 15, 2010, passengers will be allowed to check unloaded firearms and ammunition between Amtrak stations and on Amtrak trains that offer checked baggage service. The following policies apply:

Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL. Online reservations for firearms/ammunition are not accepted.
    All firearms and/or ammunition must be checked at least 30 minutes prior to train departure. Some larger stations require that baggage be checked earlier.
    All firearms (rifles, shotguns, handguns, starter pistols) must be unloaded and in an approved, locked hard-sided container not exceeding 62" L x 17" W x 7" D (1575 mm x 432 mm x 178 mm). The passenger must have sole possession of the key or the combination for the lock to the container. The weight of the container may not exceed 50 lb/23 kg.
    Smaller locked, hard-sided containers containing smaller unloaded firearms such as handguns and starter pistols must be securely stored within a suitcase or other item of checked baggage, but the existence of such a firearm must be declared.
    All ammunition carried must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's container; in fiber, wood, or metal boxes; or in other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. The maximum weight of all ammunition and containers may not exceed 11 lb/5 kg.
    The passenger is responsible for knowing and following all federal, state, and local firearm laws at all jurisdictions to and through which he or she will be travelling.
    All other Amtrak checked baggage policies apply, including limits on the number of pieces of checked baggage, the maximum weight of each piece (50 lb/23 kg).
    Firearms/ammunition may not be carried in carry-on baggage; therefore, checked baggage must be available on all trains and at all stations in the passenger's itinerary.
    At the time of check-in, passengers will be required to complete and sign a two-part Declaration Form.
    BB guns and Compressed Air Guns (to include paintball markers), are to be treated as firearms and must comply with the above firearms policy. Canisters, tanks, or other devices containing propellants must be emptied prior to checking and securely packaged within the contents of the passenger's luggage.
    Notice: Passengers failing to meet the above-mentioned requirements for checking firearms will be denied transportation.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

mrm
    Bout freakin time!
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Ugh, this whole brouhaha ruined my blissfully ignorant concealed carrying aboard Amtrak trains.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    With all those rules, no wonder Amtrak is going the way of the dodo bird.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    And these regulations fail to address the AutoTrain, which is one of Amtrak's very few financially viable lines and it's most popular.

There is no checked baggage service on the AutoTrain, so according to these rules you can't transport a firearm with you. Even in your vehicle (which, like your checked baggage, you cannot access enroute).

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    I sent a letter to Senator Wicker of Mississippi (who authored the amendment that requires Amtrak to accept checked firearms):

Dear Senator Wicker,

As a law-abiding firearms owner, I appreciate your efforts to introduce Amtrak to the Second Amendment. Amtrak announced their new policies for allowing firearms in checked baggage, in accordance with your amendment to the appropriations bill.

However, Amtrak has, in my opinion, disregarded both the legislative intent and the letter of the law in their new policy. Specifically, they have made no provisions to permit the lawful transportation of firearms on their most popular passenger route, the AutoTrain.

The AutoTrain does not offer checked baggage service. Instead, passengers store their baggage in their vehicles, which are not accessible during the trip.

Since the vehicle is not accessible during the trip, this would seem to me to be the equivalent of checked baggage (which is also not accessible during the trip).

I submit, therefore, that the proper thing for Amtrak to do would be to permit Auto Train passengers to transport firearms in their baggage, so long as the firearm is stored in accordance with their policy on firearms in checked baggage (unloaded, in a locked rigid-sided container within the passenger's baggage).

Perhaps the good folks at Amtrak need a reminder from the Congress that compliance with the amendment to the appropriations bill is not optional, and that the rights of those passengers on it's busiest passenger line are to be protected.

Sincerely,

Matt ********
    Perhaps some contact from the Hill will motivate Amtrak. I am also going to send Amtrak a letter.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Good letter, Matt.

I wish one could also carry on their person, since it is just the train after all. But nonetheless, this is a good step.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Curious - what about LEO's? Do they have to do same or can they Conceal Carry?
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Good letter, Matt.

I wish one could also carry on their person, since it is just the train after all. But nonetheless, this is a good step.
    For three years I just did this anyway.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Well done, Matt!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

What I am unable to find are the penalties for improper carry on the train. In my state as long as I have a concealed license I can carry in or upon any vehicle. So if I decided to CC on Amtrak and not check my weapon under what USC would I be charged?

USC title 18 section 922 (E) talks about interstate commerce. But if I am not selling the weapon and only carrying for self protection, what code am I violating?

Lead Moderator
    What really surprised me was the 24 hour notification...... Even the airlines/TSA doesn't require that!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    With all those rules, no wonder Amtrak is going the way of the dodo bird.
    When your firearm laws/rules are worse than Canadian laws, you know they are truly stupid. My mind boggled when I heard they didn't allow guns onboard even in cargo. Guess their security measures and employee loyality are quite questionable.

Sponsored Links