Ohio May Allow Concealed Carry in Alcohol Serving Establishments

This is a discussion on Ohio May Allow Concealed Carry in Alcohol Serving Establishments within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saw this article in our paper today. Interesting. Ohio House step closer to voting on guns in bars December 07, 2010 The Associated Press COLUMBUS, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio May Allow Concealed Carry in Alcohol Serving Establishments

Saw this article in our paper today. Interesting.

Ohio House step closer to voting on guns in bars
    December 07, 2010

The Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) A state lawmaker says he has the necessary signatures from his colleagues to allow the Ohio House to consider two gun bills including one that would allow concealed guns in bars, restaurants and other places that sell alcohol.

The bills had stalled in the Democratic-controlled chamber. But state Rep. Danny Bubp (buhp), a West Union Republican, said Tuesday that 43 Republicans and seven Democrats signed his petition to get them out of committee.

If successful, the rarely-used procedural move would avert committee action on the bills and send them straight to the House floor. The vote could come within days.

The second bill would allow people with certain misdemeanor drug offense convictions to have guns.

Both measures have already passed the GOP-controlled Senate
    http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...n-guns-in-bars
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The second bill would allow people with certain misdemeanor drug offense convictions to have guns.
    No comment.

Well, hopefully it goes through. This is one of the things I like least about the current concealed carry laws in Ohio. If I'm not drinking at dinner, why can't I carry in Chili's?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Concealed carry in places serving alcohol should simply not be controversial. Liberal little Connecticut has never prohibited it nor placed a restriction on consuming alcohol while carrying, and it simply has never been a problem warranting restrictive legislation - regardless of your personal beliefs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I'm of the opinion that adult actions should have adult consequences.

Therefore stop treating voting adults like children and let them pay for their own stupidity if they do something they shouldn't while carrying concealed in a Bar, Restaurant, or other such establishment. There is no need to punish the majority of adults, that act responsibly, because of the actions of a minority.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Amen to that.

I handle claims and lawsuits for a living, if people started taking responsibility for their own actions I would be out of work!
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

It was passed 2 yrs ago here ... you can carry into any bar, etc. There have been ZERO incidents ... unlike some that protested loudly said there would be.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Given that the current law requires otherwise unnecessary gun handling and leaves weapons unattended in cars outside restaurants, the passage makes a lot of sense.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I talked with my rep today. While the bill made it out of the OH Senate and got pulled out of the House committee that was trying to kill it, the House leadership will not schedule more meetings this session (ends 31 Dec 10), so we are back to the drawing board. Given the results of this last election, both the House and Senate will now be led by Republicans and it is likely that this legislation will be back in early 2011. Time will tell...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

Therefore stop treating voting adults like children and let them pay for their own stupidity if they do something they shouldn't while carrying concealed in a Bar, Restaurant, or other such establishment. There is no need to punish the majority of adults, that act responsibly, because of the actions of a minority.

Biker
    Amen Amen a few bad apples should not spoil the barrel.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Concealed carry in places serving alcohol should simply not be controversial. Liberal little Connecticut has never prohibited it nor placed a restriction on consuming alcohol while carrying, and it simply has never been a problem warranting restrictive legislation - regardless of your personal beliefs.
    Works pretty well here in PA, too. It's simply a non-issue.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

The left leaning Dayton Daily News ran an editorial on the 14th about "Do you really need to pack heat in bars?" Typical liberal leftist biased incorrect crap!
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs..._right_to.html

I don't "pack heat"! I carry a firearm for self defense! Gangstas and punks "pack heat". But of course being able to carry a firearm into a restaurant that also serves alcohol wouldn't grab the attention of the people the same way as packing heat in a bar!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

i really hope this gets pushed through.
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    FL allows CC in alcohol-serving "restaurants" (no bars or taverns), and it's not "illegal" (maybe not wise) to consume alcohol while carrying. I don't see where CCing in Chilis and the likes has ever been a problem here. It more of a problem with the home drinkers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

im with oldvet, i cant carry in an olive garden, chilis, etc just because they have a small bar in the establishment. quite silly when i am just there to have dinner with the family.
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links