Why do / does the NRA / GOA wait for the Brady Bunch?

This is a discussion on Why do / does the NRA / GOA wait for the Brady Bunch? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why can't they release a statement proactively bringing up the positive ways that right to carry holder could have influenced a situation. For example the ...

Thread: Why do / does the NRA / GOA wait for the Brady Bunch?

Why do / does the NRA / GOA wait for the Brady Bunch?

Why can't they release a statement proactively bringing up the positive ways that right to carry holder could have influenced a situation.
    For example the School Board in FL:

They could make a statement about while the armed security guard stood by waiting for the gunman to open fire a legally armed citizen ended the incident without further bloodshed.

I do not handle press releases so I am sure they can do a better job but you get the idea. I just don't like that we wait for it to be made ugly they we have to prove that wrong to get to neutral then put the positive spin on it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    They should also point out the fact that this guy was a felon, and was already breaking the law by having a gun in his possesion. Therefore, more gun control laws would not have stopped him.
    Walk softly ...

In the immediate aftermath of an event like this, the only proper thing to do is to offer hopes/wishes/prayers/condolences to those involved. Anything else is tasteless pandering.

In the immediate aftermath of an event like this, the only proper thing to do is to offer hopes/wishes/prayers/condolences to those involved. Anything else is tasteless pandering.
    +1
    The NRA and othe pro-gun organizations are pretty savvy in this respect.

The NRA has no intentions of doing what is necessary to change public opinion about handguns and gun violence. The "war" on the second amendment is a cash-cow for the NRA (Wayne LaPierre makes over $1MM per year on salary alone). The NRA's agenda is to send out monthly "We NEED your donations NOW!" flyers to every member in the name of "legal expenses" so they can fight really small battles in city/county/state courts (to show progress) and keep the cash rolling in. LaPierre is the single highest paid lobbyist in Washington.

Think about this for a second. Let's say the NRA launches a real advertising campaign to explain the benefits of an armed public. And let's say they storm Capitol Hill with lawyers and challenge the infringement of the second amendment rights by federal and local government ..... what happens if they win? What happens if the NRA once and for all gets the Supreme Court to uphold the Second Amendment and make it illegal for any municipality to infringe on those Constitutionally given rights? What flyer will they send out the next month? How will they scare you into sending them a check so Wayne and the other execs can continue to pay their property taxes?

Drug companies love to create pills that address a symptom. Do you have a runny nose? We have a pill that will dry that up right now! WHY you have a runny nose isn't important, and the last thing they want to do is cure you of whatever ailment is causing that runny nose ... once cured you'll never need to buy their runny-nose-fixing pill again. Do you really think the NRA is any different? Forget the money you've given them over the years for a second (and I did too, I was a member once) and think about this objectively.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

What you read in the news media isn't always the truth. They are so slanted and biased there is no way the report will come out as it really happened. It's a shame the news media has been bought off the way they have been. Secondly, I'm sure the GOA, NRA and others are doing much more "behind the scenes" than we are let do believe. As a previous poster stated, about Wayne Lepeire. I support the NRA, but don't send in my contribution everytime I receive a request. Most of it gets trashed or shredded, without even opening it. After a time, I get caloused, is that the word? Or at least immune to some of the "Crying Wolf" requests.

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    I would agree however sometimes when something is going to be used against you it is better to be proactive. Nobody but Fox has even addressed if he should have owned a gun under current laws. Every other news source is just using this story to create fear and hate against us. You can't always fight the noble fight when the other side fights dirty. Unless you want your rights to go down like a martyr.

I support the NRA. and I'm a member as well. But I no longer receive their mailings or phone calls requesting donations. It was easy. When they last called, I told the gal that if they didn't stop phoning or mailing me these requests I would end my membership. They promptly stopped.

The reason the NRA doesn't come scrambling out to be in front of every gun-related issue is a matter of strategic basics.

The NRA is the largest, most-powerful lobby of its kind. Sure, the pharma and oil industries have lobbyists who control immense sums of cash, but they can't deliver votes the way the NRA does. The NRA can deliver an election because it represents voters - very passionate voters. And it has a lot of cash, too.

The Brady campaign is a failed organization with very little clout. If you're a politician and you have to irk one group or the other, it's an easy decision:

Adviser: Ah, if you do that, the Brady people are going to be upset.

You: So?
    In terms of strategy, then, when you are a large, powerful entity, you don't run around engaging the opposition on small matters because that's what equals do. When one party in a conflict is overwhelmingly more large and strong, the correct approach (per Sun Tzu) is to let your presence be felt as a large, looming structure, like a tower or wall, standing silent and brooding. It's the "sleeping giant" thing.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
    Think about this for a second. Let's say the NRA launches a real advertising campaign to explain the benefits of an armed public. And let's say they storm Capitol Hill with lawyers and challenge the infringement of the second amendment rights by federal and local government ..... what happens if they win?
    The NRA is a nonprofit lobbying group (albeit a huge one) and compromises way too much to deal any deciding blow against the antis. If you want to wage an ideological battle, send your money to a pro-2A thinktank (ie- the Cato Institute).
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

makes sense Cornelius ..........
    O. D. A. T.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Well, there are different thoughts on how to handle all the situations that arise. You can full out blitz the media and area effected and probably not win or make points or you can selectively target certain aspects of the media only after the initial shock has worn away (the smart way in my view). You don't take the bull by the horns if your smart no matter what that saying is. You selectively make points after things have calmed down, but I will say the NRA does give to much on some of this, but in all fairness, the media is anti-gun and anything the NRA or any other gun advocate group would get right after such an event in trying to defend that the criminal got a gun anyways would be see, their doing it again trying to sway us away from the gun issue. It's a no win scenario sometimes, a game of chess, strategically played.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Because otherwise they would be exploiting a situation for purely political benefit - which is something the Brady Bunch does. The NRA tries to stay a bit more classy than that.

Links