Carry permit confiscated apparently by being critical of TSA security - Page 2

Carry permit confiscated apparently by being critical of TSA security

This is a discussion on Carry permit confiscated apparently by being critical of TSA security within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Trav i dont either, its the fact that they also revoked his state issued ccw. On the surface, I agree with you; ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    i dont either, its the fact that they also revoked his state issued ccw.
    On the surface, I agree with you; however I will fully admit that I have no idea what goes into holding a CCW in his state. Depending on what the TSA decided to investigate him for and what the state requirements for holding a CCW are, it very well might be perfectly reasonable to temporarily suspend it. Cali has too many firearm restrictions for my taste anyway, so nothing would surprise me there.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The media exposes security leaks on the nightly news all the time. They set up security by passing so called investigative reporters through check-points with all sorts of banned substances and things that could be used for weapons and then report the results to millions of viewers with no apparent concern that terrorists or nut-jobs might be watching. But leave it to the government to ruin an average citizen for voicing his concern. Way ta go Uncle Sam!

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    On the face of it it looks like this pilot was deprived of several Constitutional rights including Due-Process. We asked for change and now were getting it. Our founding fathers would be so proud!

I don't see why they confiscated his carry permit. As for the rest of the issues, post negative stuff about your employer and don't be surprised that it is career limiting. Not the best way to win friends and influence people when trying to get ahead. Fair or not, he did not exercise good judgement in doing so.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I wonder if Federal whistle blower laws would come into play here.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    On the face of it it looks like this pilot was deprived of several Constitutional rights including Due-Process. We asked for change and now were getting it. Our founding fathers would be so proud!
    I guess "Whistle Blower Protection" only applies to things that are favored by the current administration.
    Hope and Change makes me cringe.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I don't see why they confiscated his carry permit. As for the rest of the issues, post negative stuff about your employer and don't be surprised that it is career limiting.
    In most parts of California you cannot get a concealed carry permit without first proving you have a reason. The reason for his was, most likely, because he was part of that program.

Once he lost his gun & badge he had no reason for the permit. That's California for you.

Distinguished Member
    You mess with the bull... you get the horns.

VIP Member
    Had he lived in a state like Virginia, he'd still have his CHP! the permit is not issued by the police or sherriff......it's issued by the circuit courts. They would have to go to a judge & show cause to revoke his personal permit.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelyw View Post
    In most parts of California you cannot get a concealed carry permit without first proving you have a reason. The reason for his was, most likely, because he was part of that program.

Once he lost his gun & badge he had no reason for the permit. That's California for you.
    That's pretty much what I figured would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Had he lived in a state like Virginia, he'd still have his CHP! the permit is not issued by the police or sherriff......it's issued by the circuit courts. They would have to go to a judge & show cause to revoke his personal permit.
    If he lived in any reasonable state he wouldn't have had it taken away (regardless of who issued it) because most states don't expect you to prove you need a permit, just wanting to protect yourself is reason enough.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I wonder if Federal whistle blower laws would come into play here.
    I was wondering the same thing Timmy. I'm just not sure if it technically qualifies for whistle blower protections since he merely posted the video's in public domain and not attempted to report the deficiencies to any governing authority which would be responsible for correcting the deficiencies. But I'm not an attorney and not sure of all the nuances provided in the Whistle Blower Act.

One could argue from TSA's standpoint he is being punished because what he revealed could be used by terrorists to exploit lacking areas of airport security.

However given Big Sis's track record, as well as TSA's and Eric Holder's, I'm sure this is just them sticking their finger in his eye because he did the same to them. This entire administration seems to be just that childish and petty.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    From what I read, that was the whole point behind what the TSA did. If he, as part of his being deputized, agrees to not distribute or publicly display known security issues, then he is most certainly putting his status with them in jeopardy by posting videos like that on youtube. If the TSA own the gun and the badge, then they have every right to take it back if they have reason to question his continued relationship with them. If his concealed carry permit was indeed issued based on his TSA status, then that being revoked or suspended as well makes sense.

I say 'makes sense' based solely on the specific situation, not in the general context of concealed carry. I personally don't believe that you should have to come up with an excuse to carry. I also don't live in CA, NY or any other place that chooses to keep law abiding citizens from owning and carrying firearms. I wouldn't ever live in any of those places because of the laws that they burden their honest citizens with.

Nothing big likes to have a finger stuck in its eye by something smaller.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Because locals will most times, bend to the feds wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    And they so shouldn't bend to the FED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Even worse than money. If Fed Air marshals have the same power as US Marshall's then you do what they say or they just take over the agency temporarily and they tell your people what to do. Ask one of our local Chief's about have rank pulled on him. He got two options- cooperate or go home and they would take care of it themselves.

I can see TSA taking the gun and permit for carrying on the plane. But to take the state permit is nothing more than harassment IMO.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    He's decided to come out of the closet;

Chris Liu: I am the YouTube airline pilot
    http://www.news10.net/news/story.asp...114138&catid=2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links