Carry permit confiscated apparently by being critical of TSA security

This is a discussion on Carry permit confiscated apparently by being critical of TSA security within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; SACRAMENTO, CA - An airline pilot is being disciplined by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) for posting video on YouTube pointing out what he believes ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry permit confiscated apparently by being critical of TSA security

TSA Takes Away Pilot's Firearm and Revokes his CCW for Exposing Security Flaws

SACRAMENTO, CA - An airline pilot is being disciplined by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) for posting video on YouTube pointing out what he believes are serious flaws in airport security.

The 50-year-old pilot, who lives outside Sacramento, asked that neither he nor his airline be identified. He has worked for the airline for more than a decade and was deputized by the TSA to carry a gun in the cockpit.
    He is also a helicopter test pilot in the Army Reserve and flew missions for the United Nations in Macedonia.

Three days after he posted a series of six video clips recorded with a cell phone camera at San Francisco International Airport, four federal air marshals and two sheriff's deputies arrived at his house to confiscate his federally-issued firearm. The pilot recorded that event as well and provided all the video to News10.

At the same time as the federal marshals took the pilot's gun, a deputy sheriff asked him to surrender his state-issued permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Full Story:
    http://www.news10.net/news/article.a...=top&catid=188
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Don't mess with BIG BROTHER or he will show you why he's BIG BROTHER.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    What has any of this to do with flaws in TSA's security? And they wonder why the wackos run off and join the anti-gov't militias.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I don't really get this and I think it stinks. I understand him violating TSA policy is one thing. But to take away his CCW permit is a violation of his civil rights. Unless he is a danger to the public, he shouldn't have it revoked.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Oh yeah, I got it, since it's in the PRK. If he moves to another state, I bet his application would be denied and he has a right to challenge it. Again, another example of the govt. going awry, even at the state level.

Because locals will most times, bend to the feds wishes.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    I don't really get this and I think it stinks. I understand him violating TSA policy is one thing. But to take away his CCW permit is a violation of his civil rights. Unless he is a danger to the public, he shouldn't have it revoked.
    I wonder if there is some law that prohibits someone from exposing security flaws, and that is their justification? I'm not sure either and think that they shouldn't have been able to take his CCW.

I also believe he was foolish to post security flaws on the Internet. It can be dangerous and also goes along the same lines as cussing out your boss at the Christmas party.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    I hope there is more to the story and a reasonable explanation for Uncle's acts.

I hope we get to hear the rest of the story.

Strange incident.

He didn't expose any security flaws -- all these "problems" are well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Because locals will most times, bend to the feds wishes.
    And they so shouldn't bend to the FED.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

"asked him" to surrender his CCW ..... that's his choice, but I'm sure I would refuse that request.

A "civil" action ? Give me a break.... and they think he should give up his 2A rights ... why ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Ok, not the greatest idea to post the videos, but, wow, the retaliation!

A California-based commercial pilot says the Transportation Security Administration retaliated against him after he posted videos online showing what he described as shortcomings in airport security.

The series of videos showed scenes from inside the San Francisco International Airport and were narrated by the pilot, who pointed out the contrast between the passengers who were heavily scrutinized, while a single door separated employees who worked on the airfield from the airport.

"I was trying to bring up the obvious, ludicrous TSA-type of security," the pilot said, referring to the cell phone videos he posted, and later removed, from the popular video-sharing website YouTube.

The pilot requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

He said he didn't think much about posting his videos online in late November, but that within a matter of days, his chief pilot called him to ask him to remove the videos because they were "stirring a commotion."

A few days after that, the pilot was informed by the TSA that he was being suspended from a program in which he participated, the Federal Flight Deck Officer program. As an officer in the program, he was deputized by TSA to carry a handgun in the cockpit.

"Basically, an air marshal in the sky," the pilot said of the volunteer program. After his suspension, four air marshals and two local deputies showed up at his home near Sacramento, California, to personally confiscate his weapon.

The only answer he could get from the TSA as to why he was suspended from the program was that he may have violated a regulation, he said.

The TSA said that it holds those serving as federal flight deck officers to "the highest ethical standards," and said it took action because the pilot was in the program.

"FFDOs must be able to maintain sensitive security information as a condition of the FFDO program," TSA spokeswoman Sarah Horowitz said. "As the issuing authority of credentials and firearms, TSA reviews each possible violation of those standards and acts accordingly up to and including removing an individual from the assigned role."

Horowitz also defended security measures at the San Francisco airport, saying that there are "measures in place that are both seen and unseen."

In the aftermath of the incident, the pilot said he resigned from the program.

In the age of WikiLeaks, where divulging sensitive information can be so controversial, why did this pilot decide to share his videos so publicly?

"I didn't think anything would come of it," said the 50-year-old pilot, a veteran who was a maintenance test pilot.

"This is really about getting the message out and demanding intelligent security," Don Werno, the pilot's attorney, said. "No state secrets are being shown here. What's being shown here is a lack of security."

Beyond the TSA action, the pilot's airline had not taken any action against him, and he counts on the support of his union.

However, when the sheriff's deputies showed up at his house with the air marshals, they also took his California concealed weapons permit. The pilot said this permit was unrelated to his work for the TSA.
    My understanding is that he gave himself a large decrease in pay by getting himself ejected from the program...
    Last edited by Coder; December 24th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

VIP Member
    He was asked to return his federally issued badge and firearm, I don't really see any problem with that given what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    He was asked to return his federally issued badge and firearm, I don't really see any problem with that given what he did.
    i dont either, its the fact that they also revoked his state issued ccw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links