What is the most important reason Americans should be armed? - Page 2

What is the most important reason Americans should be armed?

This is a discussion on What is the most important reason Americans should be armed? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by shockwave Being "armed" is something that happens between your ears long before you hold a weapon in your hand. It happens long, ...

View Poll Results: What is the most important reason Americans should be armed?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • We want guns...that's all

2 2.13%
  • It's a right that should be exercised

12 12.77%
  • To defend against foreign invasion

0 0%
  • To make sure our government stays in line

15 15.96%
  • To defend ourselves and ours

65 69.15%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the most important reason Americans should be armed?

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Being "armed" is something that happens between your ears long before you hold a weapon in your hand. It happens long, long before that.
    AMEN.....Say it again brother!!!!
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Although some people here would be horrified at the thought, most of the founding fathers believed that an armed populace was needed to keep the Government in check.

Of course, self defense is the principal reason...whether it be from some thug on the street or a rogue government that abuses its citizens.
    I fully agree with your initial statement, but in the context of the poll, I had to go with the obvious if I'm ever going to survive in court.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Many more reasons than enumerated.

Primary reason, to protect me and mine. But there are lots of ancillaries there that include the iterated reasons after the first.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Pretty good selection of choices, but I would add one more: "Because we allow such total airhead losers to assume office in our congress and state legislatures that we need to be ready to defend against idiocy at any given time", or something like that.

Best regards.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;"

Michael

Because in a life threatening situation, the police are only one call away.....and 15 minutes.

At this time in our history, I'd say for self-defense against thugs and criminals. At the Founding, it was for an armed citizenry to help defend against a foreign invasion.
    The reasons have evolved since the writing of the Bill of Rights. Today I would say protection of self and family.
    Although I didn't answer the poll specifically, I'll say the reason is to solidify the 2nd amendment, our nation, and ourselves. Evolving reasons and at this point in history are some of the same reasons the 2nd amendment is under attack by our very own government. The words are plain and simple and lead to no conjecture.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The best answer is: ALL OF THE ABOVE.

All Americans should own firearms to defend themselves from criminals, foreign invasion and terrorists, to keep the government in line and most importantly to exercise their right that is protected by the 2nd Amendment.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    I didn't vote, it's ALL of the above and then some.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Exactly!
    I feel the same way!!!

All of the above!!

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    "I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;"

Michael
    Funny how many who take that oath do so little to protect and defend the Constitution. While so many who have never officially taken that oath have to actually explain to those that have what it means.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Funny how many who take that oath do so little to protect and defend the Constitution. While so many who have never officially taken that oath have to actually explain to those that have what it means.
    Well said!!! & sad that it's so true.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Wrong question.

I don't care if anybody's "armed."

We've seen lots of people show up here, who tell us that they are "armed." They have a handgun, and the magazine is stored separately from the weapon, and the cartridges are stored in some other location, so that everything's all safe 'n' stuff.

And undoubtedly many of our fellow countrymen are "armed" with weapons they may have never fired. Or fired once 10 years ago.

Just having a firearm doesn't really mean anything - and in many cases it's probably a heckuva lot more dangerous that ill-trained and untrained persons have loose guns about, fodder for burglars to fence for easy cash.

And then there's that guy we saw in the news this week. You know the one. He shot and killed his wife during some kinky sex game in bed (if we believe his account of the matter). Was that a person who should have been "armed"? Some blind fool who'd point a gun at a loved one thinking it was some kind of toy to be used for bedroom hijinx?

Nobody should be "armed" unless they have the sense and wherewithal to train themselves and acquire the requisite skills to deploy their weapons effectively and without harm to the innocent. And, in my experience, there aren't that many of us who fit the bill.

So. Being "armed" is something that happens between your ears long before you hold a weapon in your hand. It happens long, long before that.
    Best subject matter response regular man forum post I've seen in some time, not just here but anywhere as related to guns and the 2A.

:golf claps:

This is reflecting exactly how I feel about this threads question.
    There is to my view and mind no "most important" reason nor reasoning that Americans, or any human being anywhere for that matter, should be armed.

What is important is NOT being armed.
    What is VERY IMPORTANT is to have and retain the _RIGHT_, as an individual _choice_, to defend ones person, family, residence and ones way of life.

Retention and defense of this basic right of all beings living is what is important, and by history of man US and otherwise...is very often why arms of any and all sort are taken up.

This is no different than the right to speak freely, to vote, or to practice or not practice religion of ones choice.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links