University security officers "on leave" after exposing university's anti-gun policy

University security officers "on leave" after exposing university's anti-gun policy

This is a discussion on University security officers "on leave" after exposing university's anti-gun policy within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...olicy.html.csp A pair of University of Utah public safety officers are on paid administrative leave after internal guidelines that would ban the open carrying of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...olicy.html.csp

A pair of University of Utah public safety officers are on paid administrative leave after internal guidelines that would ban the open carrying of firearms were made public.

Gun rights activists say such a policy violates state law, and legislators are getting involved in the dispute.

Zachary Wellman, a security guard at University Hospital, said he and another campus police officer were put on leave last week after Wellman shared the guidelines with a friend, who took the U. protocols to gun advocacy groups and state lawmakers.

Wellman said he did it because he believed U. lawyers were going around the Legislature to rewrite the law.
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13891515

University of Utah is a notoriously liberal ("Marxist") school.

UofU says that it is not "anti-gun". Yes, they are. They only allow guns because Utah passed a law that very specifically requires them to allow weapons on campus for CCW permit holders and says that they cannot have a school policy that restricts this.

So now they are following the lead of another school in Utah, UVU, and saying that a "concealed" weapons permit allows you to carry "concealed" not "open". Otherwise it would be an "Open weapon permit", right?

This is flagrantly in violation of the intent of the laws here and these universities will be smacked down (again) by the legislature in the upcoming session.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

BTW, good on these two for putting their keisters on the line for our constitutional right!
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---

Zachary Wellman, a security guard at University Hospital, said he and another campus police officer were put on leave last week after Wellman shared the guidelines with a friend, who took the U. protocols to gun advocacy groups and state lawmakers.
    My question is, what does a STATE university have to hide? Why don't they want their protocols subject to review?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    My question is, what does a STATE university have to hide? Why don't they want their protocols subject to review?
    It's not because the University as an institution has anything to hide, it's because left wing, progressive, uber liberals who run the institution know their beliefs are not the norm of the majority. So they hide their true intentions and beliefs all the while acting like a majority of people share their views. They are the same people who believe the Constitution is out dated or a "living document" (whatever that means) and thus needs to be changed. And of course the changes are always towards less liberty and freedom and more towards social justice. And if they had their way, the 2nd Amendment would be removed from the new modern Constitution altogether.

Of course that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

Of course that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.
    If you were a liberal you could call your opinion fact and start teaching it in public schools.

I wonder if federal whistle blower laws will help these guys.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

The guidelines sent to police officers directs them to arrest anyone openly carrying a firearm if they don’t have a concealed-weapons permit.

But isn't that the law in UT? You need a permit to carry openly or concealed, no?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Ex Member
    Each to his own but I believe open carry serves NO purpose other than to look cool, and scare the crap out of non gun people. I have done a number of FTF deals at a large gas station and never had a problem till Rambo showed up with a .50 Desert Eagle with a 8-10 inch barrel strapped to his hip. Yes that WILL cause the Police to be called.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Each to his own but I believe open carry serves NO purpose other than to look cool, and scare the crap out of non gun people. I have done a number of FTF deals at a large gas station and never had a problem till Rambo showed up with a .50 Desert Eagle with a 8-10 inch barrel strapped to his hip. Yes that WILL cause the Police to be called.
    I agree, just because you can doesn't mean you should. CC is always better in this changing climate.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I agree, just because you can doesn't mean you should. CC is always better in this changing climate.
    Climate isn't going to change back until more people get used to seeing guns.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    The guidelines sent to police officers directs them to arrest anyone openly carrying a firearm if they don’t have a concealed-weapons permit.

But isn't that the law in UT? You need a permit to carry openly or concealed, no?
    No. A non-permit holder can carry openly, but not loaded. They cannot carry within a 1000 feet of a school.

A permit holder can carry loaded and onto school property.

In Utah an unloaded gun is one that is at least two actions away from firing.
    ---

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    I don't know you or your feelings but with me FORCING me to "GET USED TO" something in not the way to win my heart, and mind.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Even though I agree, this is not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    In Utah an unloaded gun is one that is at least two actions away from firing.
    As in insert magazine - rack slide, or rack slide - pull trigger? Gotta pull the trigger before it fires!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    As in insert magazine - rack slide, or rack slide - pull trigger? Gotta pull the trigger before it fires!
    A semi-auto that has a full mag, but nothing in the chamber is "unloaded" in Utah. 1) Rack slide, 2) pull trigger.

If you have a CC permit, you may carry loaded.
    ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links