Media wrong again? AR law changed??

This is a discussion on Media wrong again? AR law changed?? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://arkansasmatters.com/news-fulltext?nxd_id=380816 It's not illegal to have a concealed weapon on college campuses around the state, but it is against the individual school's policy. That's the ...

Thread: Media wrong again? AR law changed??

http://arkansasmatters.com/news-fulltext?nxd_id=380816

It's not illegal to have a concealed weapon on college campuses around the state, but it is against the individual school's policy.

That's the point Nicholas Stehle's group, Arkansas Carry is trying to get across. According to state law, it's legal to carry a concealed weapon, if you have your permit. However, schools around the state have bans that could expel students if caught with a gun on campus.
    This is in direct conflict with what we were taught in the CC classes.
    Prohibited places 5-73-306:
    11-any school, college or university campus or building, unless for the purpose of participating in an authorized firearm related event or activity.

It's number 11 on my list, number 14 on handgunlaw.us
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arkansas.pdf

so tell me Arkies, has something changed VERY recently that I should know about???
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

The laws change all the time. The law-abiding are the last to know. Taxpayers that we are, they never send out updates. I'm interested in this one since you've brought it up. May have to call the ASP tomorrow since they are THE authority. 501-618-8600

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The laws change all the time. The law-abiding are the last to know. Taxpayers that we are, they never send out updates. I'm interested in this one since you've brought it up. May have to call the ASP tomorrow since they are THE authority. 501-618-8600
    You mean you can call them and the person on the phone will actually know what they are talking about?

I know you can't do any good asking a cop what the law is, or the girl at the desk answering the phone.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I've found hangunlaw.com .... to NOT be updated at times. I found in our state, they were about 3 changes in the laws behind and emailed them the info to update it. Best to check the State AG's site or Legislature / Statute links.

It may be like ours : it said the same things, then they changed it and added in the first sentences "IF conspiciously posted".... and it's amazing how many people think that means it totally illegal to carry in those places. No, only "IF conspiciously posted" with the AG's "no conceal carry" signage.

It's legal here to carry in schools, campuses, school buildings, etc. .... unless IT IS POSTED (only bldgs can be posted), but the school can have a policy that students cannot carry and if they do then they will be expelled. That's the way it is here right now.

The stupid Bd of Regents Chairman argued to keep students from being able to carry on campuses with the same lame argument, basically .... it was they have lots of 18-19 yr olds how like to party (drink) and carrying guns would not be a good mix. The problem is.... it's ILLEGAL for 18-19 yr olds to be drinking, they cannot get a CCL until they are 21, and it's illegal for them to carry at all..... so what are they talking about ? We sent 100's of letters to the Bd of Regents on that one.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I've found hangunlaw.com .... to NOT be updated at times. I found in our state, they were about 3 changes in the laws behind and emailed them the info to update it. Best to check the State AG's site or Legislature / Statute links.
    Well, our legislature website had been down for "maintenance" for dang near 6 months.... Would be hard to keep your website updated with laws if the law website was down, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    You mean you can call them and the person on the phone will actually know what they are talking about?

I know you can't do any good asking a cop what the law is, or the girl at the desk answering the phone.
    I have in the past. That's their job through the regulatory commission. Best resource I know. If they can't answer your question over the phone, just let me know, and I'll put my resources to the test. Better yet....run this by HotGuns and maybe he can tell you without you making the call.

Forget about links and the internet to keep up with the most recent changes in the laws. Sometimes it will take the better part of a year before those are made.

Senior Moderator
    so tell me Arkies, has something changed VERY recently that I should know about???
    It is not illegal to have one in the vehicle on a college campus unless it is clearly prohibited by being marked. You still cannot carry one in any of the buildings on your person. This applies only to university's and no other school.

That law was amended when several others were in 2009, if my memory serves correctly.

As for getting your info from the state police, forget it, they get it wrong more often than not. Lt. Cora Gentry is the one to talk to and she is expert on the law and she administers the AR CHL program. There have been numerous conflicts with info over the years even between the clerks that work for her.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

The stupid Bd of Regents Chairman argued to keep students from being able to carry on campuses with the same lame argument, basically .... it was they have lots of 18-19 yr olds how like to party (drink) and carrying guns would not be a good mix. The problem is.... it's ILLEGAL for 18-19 yr olds to be drinking, they cannot get a CCL until they are 21, and it's illegal for them to carry at all..... so what are they talking about ? We sent 100's of letters to the Bd of Regents on that one.
    Not to mention that the vast majority of parties, both small and large, happen right off campus where firearms are not banned whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It is not illegal to have one in the vehicle on a college campus unless it is clearly prohibited by being marked. You still cannot carry one in any of the buildings on your person. This applies only to university's and no other school.

That law was amended when several others were in 2009, if my memory serves correctly.
    Well I'll pass that along to my sister then. She goes to UCA and has a permit and would REALLY like to carry at least in car, for the commute to and from school.

Senior Moderator
    Just tell her to make sure the vehicle is locked and NOT to be carrying in the buildings.

My youngest son graduated from UCA. Like a dummy, he had been duck hunting and had a shotgun in plain view in his locked truck. Although the UCA campus cops questioned him about it, that was all that they did other than to tell him to hide it. Had the vehicle not been locked, he would have been in violation.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Just tell her to make sure the vehicle is locked and NOT to be carrying in the buildings.

My youngest son graduated from UCA. Like a dummy, he had been duck hunting and had a shotgun in plain view in his locked truck. Although the UCA campus cops questioned him about it, that was all that they did other than to tell him to hide it. Had the vehicle not been locked, he would have been in violation.
    Of course.
    I am also trying to talk her into a car safe. Car break-ins are pretty frequent on campuses ya know.

Senior Moderator
    Car break-ins are pretty frequent on campuses ya know
    I did.
    I transfered a shotgun a few days ago to an Arkansas Tech cop that was investigating some break ins at Tech. It seems to be a common occurrence.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Well I'll pass that along to my sister then. She goes to UCA and has a permit and would REALLY like to carry at least in car, for the commute to and from school.
    It's not ILLEGAL, per se, to have the gun in her car, but it is very much against school policy, if their policy is anything like the UA system policy. She won't go to jail, but she could easily be expelled, if caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltz View Post
    It's not ILLEGAL, per se, to have the gun in her car, but it is very much against school policy, if their policy is anything like the UA system policy. She won't go to jail, but she could easily be expelled, if caught.
    The way both myself and my sister sees it, there's not a whole lot of risk of getting caught if she locks it up before coming on campus nobody will ever be any wiser. She commutes, and she has had blow outs on the highway. Single girl sitting alone on the side of the interstate = easy pickins for bad guy. I'm thinkin it's in her best interest to be carrying in the car for the trips to and from. Of course it's up to her to weigh the risks, but we have talked about it on several occasions.

When I went to school there I had my now-hubby come and get me to go hunting, he brought the rifles we met in the parking lot and we left. I think it's like HotGuns posted, if locked in the car you're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Forget about links and the internet to keep up with the most recent changes in the laws. Sometimes it will take the better part of a year before those are made.
    Not in our state, on internet you can read any Bill being considered, when it comes to a vote, the next day who voted what way on it , when it's up for the Gov to sign it, when it's signed, and when it's due to become effective. Plus, all of the language of it, etc. Here, it is the MOST accurate source.

Plus our AG has a site specifically designed for Conceal carry issues, laws, etc. .. as well as emailing them with questions, etc. They are extremely good about it and the CC unit of the AG's office is TOPS ! ! !

Sorry you have such issues where you are, but we don't have those issues.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sponsored Links