Constitution gets congressional reading! - Page 2

Constitution gets congressional reading!

This is a discussion on Constitution gets congressional reading! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Could well be the first time some of these yahoos have ever read/heard the Constitution. I know that many are lawyers and that they should ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Constitution gets congressional reading!

VIP Member
    Could well be the first time some of these yahoos have ever read/heard the Constitution. I know that many are lawyers and that they should have studied it in law school, but they sure don't act like they did. At the very least it is a nice refresher and they no longer will be able to play the "I did not know" card. Time will tell what sticks.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    While it may be "theater" it sure beats the liberal drama of walking all over the document being read.

Perhaps reading the Constitution can serve as a reminder that there are ideals that need to be upheld and there are things greater than ourselves.

Biker
    + 1
    This country and her government have to start somewhere in changing the direction it is headed into and "theater" or not and I think not, it is a positive first step.

gdhs_2099_13118064.jpeg

I suppose some might think "The Gettysburg Address" was theater also.
    Last edited by Old School; January 6th, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

If those who are reading it honestly believe that the words can be freely interpreted to fit any agenda it means nothing. The words have no value.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    What makes you think any of them will pay attention to the part about limited powers. There are plenty of parts from which expansive powers can be and have been and will be derived.

Again, just theater.

One time the late Sen. Byrd who walked around with a copy in his coat pocket tried to get Sept. 17, to be a day on which all Federal employees would be required to spend some time getting formal training on the constitution.

Found somewhere on the web: "Attention Federal Government Employees

Many federal agencies include a free copy of the pocket-size guide “The U.S. Constitution & Fascinating Facts About It” in their training and new employee on-boarding materials to comply with the new federal regulation requiring the development of educational programming to celebrate Constitution Day on September 17th of each year"

I guess The House is just doing on its opening session for new members nothing more than what it requires of employees.
    BTW, I know where I worked we never got the required annual educational programs.
    I dont think my opinion will generate any particular alarm to the congress as far as pointing out their limited powers and who congress actually is suppose to work for. We as a people... that may have a direct influence. My direct hope is this may be a start to take the government back to the people, for the people. I think the prior election did speak to some but not all. We have more work to do in the upcoming election. The opposition to the reading should flag the undesirables. The message is being put out for all to see. Those that oppose the reading of our constitution are being outed. I hope those become the product for distane in the movement and will be pushed out. There are many still tone deaf as they still believe they now have a new career and not sent by the people. Self serving polititions will never go away. I will not give up hope. I pray others will not either. I will never give up what can be possible. I hope you dont either. Enough said.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Think so? I believe it’s time to face the piper with open eyes in order to right many wrongs. Some may well perceive the reading as adolescent, but I think it may help reaffirm the values of a lost generation, where responsibility and promises actually meant something.
    So did the late Senator Robert Byrd. That's why Sept. 17 was designated by Congress as Constitution Day. That' why Federales are supposed to be given educational material on it each Sept. 17, though I think that doesn't actually happen.

I have no problem with The House Reading the whole thing from the floor. My question, are any of them paying attention.

Then, our Constitution's meaning is not the simple clear concise stuff we all like to think it is. It is complex and nuanced and there are 200 + years of case law and Congressional decisions to be taken into account.

It is good theater. It will accomplish no more than our discussing and arguing about it here does. ZIP.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Could well be the first time some of these yahoos have ever read/heard the Constitution.
    I don't doubt that. So why did the voters vote for UNEDUCATED IDIOTS.

A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one.
    Benjamin Franklin
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

It's more congressional theatre. Shakespeare would be hard pressed to outdo the US congress.

Because those "UNEDUCATED IDIOTS" promised to take stuff from other people and give it to them for their vote. Politicians used to give out free whiskey to entice voters until the practice was banned. They have since switched to giving out what they have taken from others.
    Makes you wonder which is more corrupt.
    A politician buying kegs of whiskey to buy votes or same politician taking taxes from a person to buy those same votes from someone else.

Michael

Living Without Hope.......

Man can live about forty days without food,
    About three days without water,
    About eight minutes without air,
    But only one second without hope.

I will continue to believe that good will overcome evil and this nation will rise up because of the hope and actions of her people.

gdhs_2099_13118064.jpeg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Good question - although I would argue that most of them are educated idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Because those "UNEDUCATED IDIOTS" promised to take stuff from other people and give it to them for their vote. Politicians used to give out free whiskey to entice voters until the practice was banned. They have since switched to giving out what they have taken from others.
    Makes you wonder which is more corrupt.
    A politician buying kegs of whiskey to buy votes or same politician taking taxes from a person to buy those same votes from someone else.
    ^^^This^^^. In addition, we have undone some of the founders' wisdom. Under the original Constitution (unamended, except for the BOR), one had to be a landowner to vote. I have no problems with adding women and minorities (so long as they are here legally), but I do think that those who are net receivers from the government should be disenfranchised. Only those who are net providers to the government should have a vote on how the process works.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Only those who are net providers to the government should have a vote on how the process works.
    I think you'd immediately run into some considerable difficulty deciding who is who. Are the guys who got big bonuses after taking bail out money net contributors to the government? What about all the folks who got SBA loans at better than market rates, or the people who went to school on student loans at below market rate?

What about the guy who owns a company which builds roads and who lives entirely off government contracts?

How about the owner of a private jail, or private school, whose livelihood exists solely because of government.

I live in a town full of people who think "the government is too big." Seven of the top ten employers are government. Everything from schools to jails to cities to various Federal functions. The others, except for communications companies are hospitals which get lots of money (and tax breaks) from government.

K, sometimes its really hard to figure out who is the parasite and who is the host, and when the relationship is commensal.

K, sometimes its really hard to figure out who is the parasite and who is the host, and when the relationship is commensal.
    Very true. Many of the married people I used to work with got back more at the end of the year than they actually paid in to the federal government during the year.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; January 6th, 2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: I made another oopsie

VIP Member
    I think you'd immediately run into some considerable difficulty deciding who is who. Are the guys who got big bonuses after taking bail out money net contributors to the government? What about all the folks who got SBA loans at better than market rates, or the people who went to school on student loans at below market rate?

What about the guy who owns a company which builds roads and who lives entirely off government contracts?

How about the owner of a private jail, or private school, whose livelihood exists solely because of government.

I live in a town full of people who think "the government is too big." Seven of the top ten employers are government. Everything from schools to jails to cities to various Federal functions. The others, except for communications companies are hospitals which get lots of money (and tax breaks) from government.

Hopyard - you are right, it is tricky. Let me clarify my position a bit better as I was not totally clear. If you are earning money from the government (employee, contractor, supplier, etc.) that would not count against you. If, however, you are receiving funds that were not earned (welfare, farm subsidies [controversial I know], getting more back than you put into the taxation system as mlr1m noted, other government gimmies that are not a result of labor), you are disenfranchised. Otherwise it is like letting the inmates run the prison.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Sounds good on papaer, problem is, that paper is going to have $3.7 billion in earmarks and pork fat attached to it before they sign off on it. But we can hope for the best, right?
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links