Constitution gets congressional reading!

This is a discussion on Constitution gets congressional reading! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/01/...ex.html?hpt=T2 They're going to blow the dust off this thing called the "Constitution" and take turns reading it. Anybody remember what this is? I thought ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Constitution gets congressional reading!

Thumbs up Constitution gets congressional reading!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/01/...ex.html?hpt=T2

They're going to blow the dust off this thing called the "Constitution" and take turns reading it. Anybody remember what this is? I thought it was a boat or something...

I know it's just symbolic, but it seems like a great way to start to me.

Republicans will have the Constitution read on the House floor Thursday morning in a nod to the conservative Tea Party freshmen that helped put them back in the majority.

The reading will start at 10:30 a.m., with members taking turns until they complete the document -- a process that could take up to a couple of hours.

"This historic and symbolic reading is long overdue and shows that the new majority in the House truly is dedicated to our Constitution and the principles for which it stands," said Rep. Bob Goodlatte of Virginia.

"As the written expression of the consent the American people gave to their government -- a consent with restrictions and boundaries -- the public reading of the Constitution will set the tone for the 112th Congress."

In new House rules passed Wednesday, all bills and joint resolutions submitted for approval will be required to have an accompanying statement explaining their Constitutional authority. Republicans and the members of the Tea Party have argued that Democrats regularly overreached the Constitutional powers granted to the House of Representatives and believe this rule will refocus legislative priorities.

Bills also will be required to be posted online for 72 hours before they can come to a final vote, banning the practice of rewriting legislation shortly before it is to be voted on, so that all Americans have time to go online, read a bill and then lobby their member of Congress.

Another major change in the rules affects the budget, specifically giving the chairman of the House Budget Committee greater authority to set spending limits.
    Man can dream...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just theater.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just theater.
    And it's usually either a Comedy or a Tragedy. However, I do like the idea of reading the Constitution. Maybe it will stir something. I am not holding my breath, though.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Just theater.
    ^^ This...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    They're going through the motions. At least it's a start.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

May be theater but if they can remind themselves that they operate on limited powers and were installed by the people...who knows. It does call out the wolves who oppose the reading...New Your Times, Left leaners. Theater that may set the stage for 2012 elections.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

While it may be "theater" it sure beats the liberal drama of walking all over the document being read.

Perhaps reading the Constitution can serve as a reminder that there are ideals that need to be upheld and there are things greater than ourselves.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    May be theater but if they can remind themselves that they operate on limited powers and were installed by the people...who knows. It does call out the wolves who oppose the reading...New Your Times, Left leaners. Theater that may set the stage for 2012 elections.
    What makes you think any of them will pay attention to the part about limited powers. There are plenty of parts from which expansive powers can be and have been and will be derived.

Again, just theater.

One time the late Sen. Byrd who walked around with a copy in his coat pocket tried to get Sept. 17, to be a day on which all Federal employees would be required to spend some time getting formal training on the constitution.

Found somewhere on the web: "Attention Federal Government Employees

Many federal agencies include a free copy of the pocket-size guide “The U.S. Constitution & Fascinating Facts About It” in their training and new employee on-boarding materials to comply with the new federal regulation requiring the development of educational programming to celebrate Constitution Day on September 17th of each year"

I guess The House is just doing on its opening session for new members nothing more than what it requires of employees.
    BTW, I know where I worked we never got the required annual educational programs.

I am 100% behind the effort to stand by the constitution; if the tea party / rep party are as well (as they claim) we should expect a repeal of the patriot act soon; as it was by far the most egregious attack on the constitution ever. Patrick Hennery never said “take some of my liberty to keep me safe”

VIP Member
    Just theater.
    Think so? I believe it’s time to face the piper with open eyes in order to right many wrongs. Some may well perceive the reading as adolescent, but I think it may help reaffirm the values of a lost generation, where responsibility and promises actually meant something.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    It may be just theater but I like they way they are acting.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It may be just theater but I like they way they are acting.
    There is a saying where I work, "False motivation is still motivation"

If you pretend something long enough, after a time, you stop pretending. I for one, like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    We used to say "Fake it till you make it."
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Just theater.
    Its a good way to keep them busy. I'd rather have them doing this than to be passing laws that take away my freedoms.

Michael

I'd like to think that this new bunch wants to remember their guiding document. In addition, in the house, any new legislation much refer to the particular part of the Constitution from which it gathers its authority. No plausible authority, no legislation. Good idea.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links