National Constitutional Carry...

This is a discussion on National Constitutional Carry... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Constitution clearly points out Federal responsibilities...then goes on to say anything not in that list is a state responsibility... Permitting, licensing, registering, etc...is something ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: National Constitutional Carry...

The Constitution clearly points out Federal responsibilities...then goes on to say anything not in that list is a state responsibility...

Permitting, licensing, registering, etc...is something left to the states...

Even conservative members of SCOTUS have said the states have some authority to regulate firearms...

DON'T GET THE FEDS INVOLVED IN THIS ISSUE.....Please....
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

I agree on keeping the feds out of it. As much as I would like the idea of nationwide carry rights, do you honestly think the feds do anything without strings attached?

This battle is best fought at the state level. Once all states are converted to pro self defense, the feds won't be able to ignore the pro gun citizens any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Why is it we all scream when the Federal government ignore States Rights? Then when we believe we have the numbers on our side insist that they ignore States Rights to force what we want on the other States?

Michael
    The states do not have rights; every individual has rights. Anything that advances individual freedom is something that should be supported, the concept of "states" rights is a collectivist notion that should only be incurred if the states in question are advancing individual liberty against a federal government that is trampling it. A good example of this is the lawsuits over the health mandate. However, the states do not have any right to repress you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    The states do not have rights; every individual has rights. Anything that advances individual freedom is something that should be supported, the concept of "states" rights is a collectivist notion that should only be incurred if the states in question are advancing individual liberty against a federal government that is trampling it. A good example of this is the lawsuits over the health mandate. However, the states do not have any right to repress you.
    As you used the term "rights" you are right, the states don't have rights, but that isn't what "states rights" are all about.

Translation, "The Tenth Amendment explicitly states the Constitution's principle of federalism by providing that powers not granted to the federal government nor prohibited to the states by the Constitution of the United States are reserved to the states or the people."
    (from WIKI)

I happen to think the 10th needs amending because it isn't especially workable in a nation of 310 million people with both rapid transport and communications.

ANYWAY,

I want either one set of Federal rules on CHL, or my CHL to be recognized throughout the entire nation. And frankly, I'm not sure how to get to these goal and I'm not sure I care how we get to this goal.

If ALL states could be persuaded to follow the MO approach I think we could get somewhere, but then we know that won't happen. So, the next model is LEOSA. If LEOSA hasn't done "violence" to the 10th, a similar law for civilian CHL holders wouldn't either.

Sadly, I think after what happened yesterday there will be very considerable opposition to extending LEOSA like privileges to us ordinary CHL holders.

The thing is, according the US Constitution, there should be nationwide carry. Concealed or open, or both, but not neither.

If you don't believe that, then the article I quoted says that a license issued by one state has to be honored by any state. Hence my CPL should be good in any place I wish to travel.

Either way, you're covered. Of course, we don't really use the constitution anymore now, do we?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Keep the Feds out of it. Federalizing our "gun rights" might take away some of those "privileges" many of us enjoy now or eventually strike them altogether, which would end in a national war over those rights.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    The thing is, according the US Constitution, there should be nationwide carry. Concealed or open, or both, but not neither.

If you don't believe that, then the article I quoted says that a license issued by one state has to be honored by any state. Hence my CPL should be good in any place I wish to travel.

Either way, you're covered. Of course, we don't really use the constitution anymore now, do we?
    We already have that right as guaranteed by the Constitution. This right to bear arms has been infringed upon for many many decades now by the requirement of some states to purchase a "license" or "permit" to carry a gun anywhere.

There is no need to fight for Constitutional Carry as it already exists. What we need to fight for is getting the right people elected that will do what should be done and that is to force each state to actually uphold the Constitution.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Who the heck is John Bayer? Do you mean the Speaker of the House John Boehner?
    Yes. I posted it from my iPhone originally and did not get the spelling corrected. But you are correct.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Using the logic here that some have posted about federal interference, then we should try to get the LEOSA reappealed as it is clearly the feds sticking their nose into states rights as well as the Gun Owners Protection Act. If New Jersey wants to arrest someone for passing through with a gun in the car, who is the Fed to say they cannot? That is essentially what you are saying, that the feds have no right to interfere with the states in regards to some issues.

the way to get this going is a lawsuit in each state to get Constitutional carry like AZ and AK in every state.
    change the state law not invite the feds. when that is done in every state, then every state will have the same requirements and an you will have national carry.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Yes. I posted it from my iPhone originally and did not get the spelling corrected. But you are correct.
    I love my I-phone, but the one thing I would change is the aggressive "we know better than you what you are trying to say" spell checker.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I don't want the Federal Gov't involved. It seems like they destroy everything that they touch.

Honestly, if they can give, then they can take away. Why do we need more laws? Why can't the 2A be sufficient for all free men to carry the necessary tools to remain free?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

As much as I would like the idea of nationwide carry rights, do you honestly think the feds do anything without strings attached?
    Bingo!!!!
    i shudder to think what some future anti-gun administration and anti-gun congress could do to concealed carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post

If you don't believe that, then the article I quoted says that a license issued by one state has to be honored by any state.
    Clearly this is not the present state of affairs. Clearly a license issued by one state does not have to be honored by other states and this has been tested right up through the SC. In a notable example, sorry I don't have the citation, a NY police officer was convicted of felony possession for carrying in NJ. The felony was upheld by The Supremes. I would imagine the clause you think provides for nationwide recognition entered into the debate before the court.

We all mislead ourselves about the law when we think that the plain letter of the constitution or any other law is all there is to it.

make our CC permits reconized just like our state issued drivers lic's. it really is that simple
    NRA Life member:
    Maine Non Resident Permit
    New Hampshire Resident Permit
    Connecticut Non Resident Permit
    Utah Non Resident Permit
    Mass Non Resident Permit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links