Statement from Rep. Carolyn Maloney Regarding yesterday’s tragic events in AZ

This is a discussion on Statement from Rep. Carolyn Maloney Regarding yesterday’s tragic events in AZ within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; “While it is too early to come to any conclusions about the causes or consequences of yesterday’s tragic events, it is never too late to ...

Thread: Statement from Rep. Carolyn Maloney Regarding yesterday’s tragic events in AZ

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Statement from Rep. Carolyn Maloney Regarding yesterday’s tragic events in AZ

“While it is too early to come to any conclusions about the causes or consequences of yesterday’s tragic events, it is never too late to reflect on lessons we have learned from earlier such tragedies, and take them to heart.

“Guns kill. And those who glamorize gunplay or worship gun ownership do no service to humanity.

“Words matter. And those who use inflammatory rhetoric to achieve cheap political gain wound our country and weaken the ties that bind us.

“Democracy triumphs. The fundamental wisdom that has long distinguished our nation and has led her to greatness resides in our unwavering commitment to settle our differences with ballots, not bullets.

“My thoughts and prayers go out to Congresswoman Gifford. I hope for her swift and complete recovery. And to her family and to all the friends and family members of all those who were victims of today’s horrific events.

“As we approach the observance of Martin Luther King Day, let us recall the words that Bobby Kennedy spoke on that tragic occasion so many years ago: ‘Let us dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this world.’ “

I find her comment about guns killing people are just crazy. A firearm is an inanimate object that isn't going to do anything on its own. It took malice and forethought by that nut job to get a gun and to put it into operation to kill those people. I find it just nuts that a reasonable woman such as Ms. Maloney must be to make such a statement.

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunately this is exactly what the anti-gun folks want. They want an event to happen so they can say gun laws are not tough enough and will go further to completely ban the object entirely. It's just the way they feel emotionally. They need a "crisis" so they can act to take away your rights.

However, we have multitudes of law against the very thing this maggot did and not one of them stopped or deterred him from doing it. Laws and bans do not and have not prevented most crime . It is just a fact of life, but the Left seems to believe that once a object is banned or there are a million laws against it, then the crime associated with that object will cease. With that thought in place, it's time to go feed my Unicorn.

They may as well believe in the Tooth Fairy for all that matters. A criminal will be that way no matter how many bans or laws are in effect. The best way is to keep the law abiding citizen righfully armed to protect themselves from the criminal nut cases, not the opposite. I have to give the Utopians credit, they do keep trying.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

While few would disagree with efforts for a less violent, kinder world, to believe that those efforts will effect those of evil intent who are either unwilling or unable to change is, in the kindest words possible, naive at best.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I find her comment about guns killing people are just crazy. A firearm is an inanimate object that isn't going to do anything on its own. It took malice and forethought by that nut job to get a gun and to put it into operation to kill those people. I find it just nuts that a reasonable woman such as Ms. Maloney must be to make such a statement.
    Don't let them get to you with their words. Plenty of "reasonable" government officials stoop to a lower level than those things or people they speak against. Once their mouth starts flapping is the best way to evaluate their true intelligence and just how reasonable they are. We elected them to office for one reason or another. If we put these people in the positions they are in.........are we being reasonable in doing so?
    Those whom actually can't think for themselves have their speeches written for them by someone else.

diapers and politicians......
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

She is absolutely not a reasonable person. You should read the AWB she sponsored in 2007. In fact, here it is:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

She loves when crap like this happens so she can use it as an excuse to push her unconstitutional agenda. She is a terrible person unworthy of public office.

VIP Member
    Would anyone disagree with this, modifying what she wrote: "Guns in the hands of dangerous people kill. And those who glamorize gunplay or worship gun ownership do no service to humanity."

I don't know her or a thing about her, but I suspect that is really what she meant.

I believe she meant what she said. unless she says different that is all there is to go by.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    “Guns kill. And those who glamorize gunplay or worship gun ownership do no service to humanity
    {Problem here is that she is covered in wool, and a smart sheep can bring harm to those whom protect the flock}

.“Democracy triumphs. The fundamental wisdom that has long distinguished our nation and has led her to greatness resides in our unwavering commitment to settle our differences with ballots, not bullets.
    {Alas she is a product of liberal american college education - Im honestly getting sick of correcting both conservatives and liberals alike that we are NOT a democracy}{Last time I checked we are a republic or used to be atleast}
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Would anyone disagree with this, modifying what she wrote: "Guns in the hands of dangerous people kill. And those who glamorize gunplay or worship gun ownership do no service to humanity."

I don't know her or a thing about her, but I suspect that is really what she meant.
    Hopyard though I completely understand what you wish she said, I believe she knew exactly what she was saying and where she was going with it. Please do not side with this, you are a proud gun owner and I know you have to see the danger of this person mentality politically.

Anyways had this been a Machette or a sharp stick, would you want the headlines to read "Sharp Sticks in the hands of dangerous people kill"?
    All it will lead to is some law banning the sharp stick, this case the gun, from the law abiding citizen so next time this person could kill another 6-10 people more than what was already.

Maybe the correct re-wording should have been, "Evil people kill other people, and there is nothing we can do about it. Life goes on!"
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

MSNBC has an interview with the little girl who was killed father. At the end of the interview he says "This is what could happen in a free society. I prefer this over the alternative".

Links