New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting (MERGED)

This is a discussion on New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting (MERGED) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by hamlet I can't say I disagree with having regulations on 30+ magazines. Until they go after all magazines and your right to ...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 186

Thread: New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting (MERGED)

  1. #31
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post

    I can't say I disagree with having regulations on 30+ magazines.
    Until they go after all magazines and your right to own a weapon....... why do you even own a firearm if you think this way?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,322
    Well he obviously had some sort of mental illness from what the reports this morning are saying. Hopefully that will slow down the charge. He wasnt a paramilitary right wing nut. VT was bad and didnt change anything.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  4. #33
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850

  5. #34
    Senior Member Array Chevy-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    30? 20? 15? 10? 5? 0?
    Good post. The only number that will appease the 'anti's' is ZERO!
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

  6. #35
    Member Array wolfshead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Renton WA
    Posts
    493
    What happened in Arizona is a tragedy. I think the media decided to blame the Republicans before the facts came out that the shooter supported a communist ideology. Then they shifted focus to the fact that the shooter could legally purchase a Glock.
    I think the main reason incidents like this happen are because the school system ignores people who seem mentally unstable. They label them as loners and weird and brush them off. Eventually these silent types lash out - either hurting themselves or others.

    In my class back in '98 we had 2 such individuals who ended up killing themselves in separate incidents. Mental illness is a bigger problem than anything else when it comes to our education system. Controlling or banning guns won't make this go away. The mentally unstable will find other ways to harm others and themselves.

    Prayers and condolences to everyone affected in the Arizona shooting.

    God Bless.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

  7. #36
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    Exactly

    In a profile online, he listed his favorite books: "Animal Farm," "Brave New World,"..."The Communist Manifesto," "Siddhartha," "The Old Man and the Sea," "Gulliver's Travels," "Mein Kampf,"...

    A 22-year-old woman in Arizona, Caitie Parker, claimed on her Twitter feed that she went to high school and college with the gunman, and was in a band with him. She described his politics in the past as "left wing, quite liberal, & oddly obsessed with the 2012 prophecy." She also described him as having a lot of friends "until he got alcohol poisoning in '06" and dropped out of school. "Mainly loner very philosophical."

    Parker described the gunman meeting Rep. Gabrielle Giffords previously: "He was a political radical & met Giffords once before in '07, asked her a question & he told me she was 'stupid & unintelligent.'"

  8. #37
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,592
    Gee, didn't see that coming...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

  9. #38
    3D
    3D is offline
    Senior Member Array 3D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    517
    Magazine capacity is not the issue.

    The root cause of situations like this is the fact that the U.S. is operating as a "free" society. One consequence of that new-to-the-world approach to governance is that all kinds of people [including 'nut-jobs'] freely roam the landscape. No legislation that limits mag. capacity will change that liability.

    Like one of our members 9MMare reminds us with her signature line: Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    I definitely accept the freedom . . . and the a accompanying personal responsibility to make it safe for me and "mine". I strongly oppose laws that add to the erosion of the 2nd Ammendment.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

  10. #39
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,592
    Man, I can imagine how magazine sales are going today across America. Likewise, when you read the news blame game, it wasn't the shooters fault. It was political dialogue, so now I guess we'll have to reject the first amendment along with televisions and the Internet.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

  11. #40
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I wonder if he had murdered and injured all those people by driving an Suburban though the crowd if she'd be on board to ban all SUVs?
    No, she would not.
    I am sure of this because exactly that has already happened a multiple of times within the last decade at both Wash., DC (my hometown) and in NY too.

    She is not focused on people and actions of criminals; She is focused on GUNS.
    If she were focused on people and the actions of criminals then she would be applying her energies toward mental health care reform in the US.

    It was a crazy person known prior to be mental who committed this crime and that was the impetus, not the gun he used.
    It was a crazy person established afterward to be mental who killed McCarthy's husband and severely with permanent brain injury results wounded her adult son as they were trapped on a commuter train, not the gun he used.

    For some odd reason people find it easier and most logical to demonize the tool rather than the actor, and the means behind the action.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_F..._%28convict%29
    http://crime.about.com/od/murder/p/frguson.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBvO59SCQok

    At the time (pre-internet) this guy made a complete mockery of the judicial system including representing himself, pleading innocent, badgering victim witnesses of the crime while they were forced to appear on the stand to his cross-examination...And he even attempted to place himself on the stand as a victim 'witness' for intent to cross exam himself (!).

    Because of this very clearly mentally deficient shooter the rest of America has had to suffer Carolyn McCarthy (widower and mom) in specific for some 20 years now and will continue to do so for some time to come.

    The actions of one reflect on and effect us all.
    Like it or not, personally disagree or agree...This IS a hard fact of life FACT.

    It was an event similar to this that was the lynch pin as momentary knee jerk reaction public opinion changed toward the outright gun ban that resulted in England during the 90s. : (
    Same goes for the Clinton era AWB too.

    - Janq

    P.S.
    Items like this and two weeks ago the also allegedly mental child who shot his mom using a rifle & ammo he got for Christmas because he didn't like being told to do his chores...Never mind all the others of same that have occurred through the past year alone (!)...Is why it is VERY IMPORTANT in a real way that all of us as _sane_ and _responsible_ gun owners stop paying lip service toward this subject and rather extend our own selves to teach our friends and neighbors how to PROPERLY handle and store firearms.
    How to not be an idiot and thus wind up shooting our wives in the leg at ranges while handling our guns.
    How to _wisely_ store and safe our guns & ammo as related to our children and stop talking that yeah but when I was a kid garbage (It AIN'T 1940/50/60/70/80 anymore...Wake up and stop talking that when I was a kid long ago irrelevant garbage!!) because kids today are not same as kids of yesteryear and yes that means your own kid AND the one from down the street you don't REALLY know.

    As well for those of us with relatives (my father has been mentally ill literally my entire life so I can speak to this from first hand experience), siblings, children and spouses who we know in our heart of hearts have mental and emotional issues (which falls under mental)...And the ones who go all bat poo animated over poltiics this n' that or so n' such said this and we gotta STOP' 'EM talk as they are all foamed up at the corners of their mouth...Do everyone of us and yourself a favor.
    Don't go buying them guns and ammo or giving them the key/passcode to your gun safe. Use your better if not best judgment.
    This kid he has a mother and a father, possibly siblings a GF and 'friends' too. Notice how thus far there has been no statement toward that aspect and NOBODY coming forward to claim his sorry behind either.
    Just like Cho from the VA campus murders...People know and knew. There were signs, clear ones. Cho's people knew he was a nutbag but they didn't do much to help him as it weeks later came out. They just abided him and figured ehh he's nutty but harmless. Yeah, okay.

    Think about this stuff people because every time one of these people goes off the farm we all suffer as victims...For years and decades if not FOREVER (See the BATFE and the littany of NFA regs as well as overlapping handgun regs as Federal law including NICS too).
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  12. #41
    VIP Member Array Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Posts
    3,211
    Excellent post - Jang.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

  13. #42
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Responding to this from post 11, "He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress," OD* wrote:



    Do you think it is OK to threaten Federal Officials and elected representatives, or anyone else? Why shouldn't threatening be a crime?

    Threats aren't a free speech issue.
    So you look to elevate the position of one class of people over another?
    Threatening someone is already a crime. Therefore the laws are already in place, without creating yet another "special class" of people, to deal with these issues. Part of the problem, is a sense of elitism that some seem to have. Kneejerk laws, often passed in haste, and a flurry to prove the worth of the one doing the passing of the bill, do little to deal with the issues that brought the law forth in the first place.

    Biker

  14. #43
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    No, she would not.
    I am sure of this because exactly that has already happened a multiple of times within the last decade at both Wash., DC (my hometown) and in NY too.
    It was really a rhetorical question. Just highlighting the obsession with guns and not the real problem.

  15. #44
    Member Array faif2d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    254
    Jang, once again NAILED it. Cool and reasoned with facts not opinion. Thank you sir.

  16. #45
    Member Array wolfshead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Renton WA
    Posts
    493
    A good article I came across. Possible long term solution to this problem:
    http://www.keystosaferschools.com/Po...us_Student.htm
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. More ridiculous knee jerk legislation
    By fastk9dad in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: January 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM
  2. More knee surgery.
    By Ghettokracker71 in forum Bob & Terry's Place
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: October 19th, 2010, 10:59 PM
  3. 11/19/08 Pending Ammo Legislation in 18 states-MERGED
    By Eagleks in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: June 25th, 2009, 12:30 AM
  4. I would like to thank HITCH KING for a heads up, LIMA for the resulting interest.....
    By yankeeman in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 31st, 2009, 05:18 PM
  5. Knee operation update...
    By TN_Mike in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2008, 10:13 PM

Search tags for this page

colin ferguson actor

,
colin furgerson actor
,
free rifle targets 11 x 17
,

hot jerk instructor youtube

,
ruger p89 accessories phoenix,az
,
what is ?knee jerk reaction? legislation
Click on a term to search for related topics.