New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting (MERGED)

This is a discussion on New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting (MERGED) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry if this has been posted already, looked for it and didn't find it. Just saw this story on CNN, Mccarthy is trying to ban ...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting (MERGED)

New legislation after AZ shooting

Sorry if this has been posted already, looked for it and didn't find it.
    Just saw this story on CNN, Mccarthy is trying to ban all magazines that hold more than 10 rounds because of the AZ shooting.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/01/...ban/index.html

2. Remove Ads

People need to start contacting their congress critters expressing their thoughts against this kind of legislation ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    It was really a rhetorical question. Just highlighting the obsession with guns and not the real problem.
    I know...

My post was taking your lead, as a rhetorical query, to state the bigger answer to the bigger question; Who is Carolyn McCarthy, what is her motivation and why.

Honestly I feel for her as a human being.
    I do not at all agree with her stances and positions, but I do as a human and a spouse as well as parent do very much understand her 'feelings' and by that where she has come from.

Same for the dad of the 9 yr. old killed who yesterday is reported as stating to the press; "Nothing good ever comes from guns.".
    Of course we know this to not be a truth.
    But in kind we all can very much understand the roots of his statement in that moment...And I would bet the keys to my home that he will be aligned at the hip with Carolyn McCarthy and her ilk in the weeks/months/years to come.

Again I would not agree with the position, but I very much do understand it.

As to the rest of my post it is me venting.
    Becomes I am absolutely sick and tired of other mothers screwing it up for me and making my life, and the future life of my kids who will likely want to be sport & recreation shooters if not keep a gun for defense, that much more difficult than it already is.

How many times have we had threads here _before_ this incident just in the year of 2010 alone where folk have been all ehh it's not my problem or when I was a kid (back in an era, decade and America nothing at all like current times!) kids just acted right.
    Yeah sure, things would be great in that utopia. Let me know when the Way Back machine gets re-fueled...Until then, lets look at the present into the relevant future.
    We got people like former police chief Edward Fleury of neighboring to me town Pelham, MA who along with three partners facilitated the physical transfer of a specific type firearm not at all in any way suitable for a child to that of a damn 9 yr. old who of course wound up injuring himself with it, fatally. His blockhead dad ignored statements by a _child_ 'safety officer' (this in itself was stupid and wrong to have) who said the gun is too much for the boy but the dad passed on that advisory and began videotaping as his boy stands there and does the very much predictable. MORON.
    Then we got all these crazy people running up on folks killing people, murdering wholesale their entire family (many of these this year!) and others shooting people in and around Wal-Marts as well as acting out in public spaces while carrying guns to wind up getting themself shot only to have family try to displace blame to the police who shot to stop the crazy person in the first place (See Eric Scott).

Myself I am tired of being lumped into the category of analysis of ehh he's another one of those gun nut loonies who any minute now might go bonkers and start shooting people up.
    Oh and i do always carry everywhere I go when ever I leave the house and I train with my guns monthly and if work & family time allows weekly (OMG!!!)...Soooooo that makes me even more dangerous as being both paranoid and delusional as well as 'aggressive', 'violence minded' and 'skilled' never mind that I'm a negro too and everybody knows those folks are always mad about something quick fused ready to blow at any moment, that's why they got an epidemic of hypertension and heart disease (!).

People actually think this crap, and apply it to _Me_.
    Why? Not because of how I myself might actually be and carry myself in demeanor be it here/online but in real life too.
    No it's all about what do the OTHER people per broad general perception and how they act as related to what folk see depicted in the media and by TV & hollywood which sad as it might be even so called smart & educated people do look to as being reflection of fact.
    It is bizarre, but true.

So again I was just venting as I am right now.
    Because I'm sad for my America present, concerned for my childrens America future...And I am in specific very much disappointed with us all among those who are of like mind and view with me.

Ironically when this shooting occurred I was at of all places the Smith & Wesson Shooting Sports Center training a student of mine toward how to learn and apply the basic fundamentals of shooting a rifle.
    He is by state law not yet able to purchase a firearm or ammunition simply because he has not yet passed a state recognized 'LTC' firearm course even as he did go through one of my basic hunter ed. courses spring 2010. As well he lives with his parents current and they are anti-gun concerned due to what he says they have seen on television and the media. He's a white male rural raised & oriented just about 13 yrs. my junior.
    Further in the lane next to him as he was running my bolt action .22 using a 5 rd. low capacity magazine I noticed a young (early 20s I would guess) asian couple struggling to hit a man sized piece of target paper at 21 ft. They had a rental 10 shot revolver using .22LR. Neither showed any degree of even basic pistol fundamentals and the results were to match.
    So, I volunteered and introduced myself to them. Shared with them the three most basic fundamentals of shooting a pistol; Stance, body positioning and manner of grasping the gun correctly as well as how to properly align the sights as in relation to the target.
    At first they looked at me like I was some sort of weirdo. Black man standing there wearing a big silver gun and reserve magazines holstered on my weak side along with a can of pepper spray. I very much do not look the part of traditional sport shooter, as per what is commonly depicted within the media.
    Just sharing these three items though and then donating to them some of my own ammo to show them how this is done...They both inside of :20m conversation wound up with grouping that measured 4" actual including multiple hits to the bullseye X on the Shoot N' See targets that I also donated to their cause.
    They were ecstatic! No more weird face looks toward me from that point on. They went and bought another whole box of ammo and several more targets and stayed for another hour, even as they were preparing to leave before I approached them.
    When they did pack up to leave they both approached me and shook my hand showing me nothing but teeth and genuinely happy faces to say "Thank you!".
    My response was that I encourage them to seek out additional professional instruction be it from Smith or the NRA or wherever, and to continue to train & practice so as to hone their skills toward our sport...AND to actively support myself and themself by voting toward policys and programs that allow sport & recreation shooters as well as people like me who carry to continue doing same.
    I'd literally said this to them in so many words. They are and remain complete strangers to me.

This is what we need more of...To counteract foolish people, gun ignorant people, inform fence riders AND the outright anti-gun emotional folk such as Carolyn McCarthy.
    As to mentally nut bags who do criminal acts. They gonna be crazy and do bad things regardless no matter what the laws might be. I mean hell it's already illegal to assault and murder people so what more needs to be said or done.

Anyway I come home feeling very good about my time at the range with functionally three students exposing them all to something positive.
    I go to my home office desk to check my mail and DC.Com just happened to be live in one of my browser tabs...So I hit refresh only to find at the top of this forum a posting about this shooting event.
    Imagine how quickly my smiley face went to WTH!? frowns upon seeing that news.

I'm tried of it.
    Sick and tired.

I have not been out my house since this event, but I know what will happen on my next trip into town or to my barber.
    I'll be drilled on this event. And folk will be all see...GUNS they are the problem with society today, and Sarah Palin (!?).
    To which I'll be left yet again to try my best t counter with facts and figures as I know them and to explain this tragedy was not caused by a gun nor because the guns magazine could hold X amount of rounds. But rather because some human being had the crazy.

We are not at fault for this incident singular.
    But we all can do something to better our lot even if it is just one person having a sane and reasonable conversation with another, who might be a fence rider never mind an anti as to open their eyes to what our side is and can be.

To the majority we gun owners, sportsman, hunters, competitors and gun collectors are normal, sane harmless people.
    We have not an interest nor hope toward killing anyone never mind running up into crowds to do walk by mass shootings.
    You and I and everyone reading knows this. But it's on US to get the word out to the rest of the voting public.

Again very sorry for the the rant. I was not intending to be directed toward you specifically.
    In hindsight I should have stated that in so many words.

I'm just emotionally tired and an am sick to my core toward people, innocent people who very easily could have been me or my wife and daughter (or son) suffering because of morons and mentally ill people....With guns.

I have the first of a series of 2011 BHE courses to teach coming next weekend.
    I'm very sure this will be at the tips of every students tongue and I am just not looking forward to fighting even more of that fight.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thanks for posting your thoughts Janq.
    Spot on.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    Need to look a little harder. It's been up and running since yesterday. Problem is, there are so many forums, so many get posted elsewhere. This topic has already been merged once.

Running here New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    Just saw this story on CNN, Mccarthy is trying to ban all magazines that hold more than 10 rounds because of the AZ shooting.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/01/...ban/index.html
    Not is trying But:
    Trying again!

Quick to expoit the the killing and injuring for political gain.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Again very sorry for the the rant. I was not intending to be directed toward you specifically.
    In hindsight I should have stated that in so many words.
    No need to apologize! I never thought it was directed at me. I think many of us feel the same way you do, at least in part if not completely.

I am not sure which proposed laws worry me more. The ones restricting free speech or the ones restricting the possession of weapons.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Need to look a little harder. It's been up and running since yesterday. Problem is, there are so many forums, so many get posted elsewhere. This topic has already been merged once.

Running here New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting
    My mistake, thanks Bark'n.

Nice read Jang. I appreciate ya.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I am not sure which proposed laws worry me more. The ones restricting free speech or the ones restricting the possession of weapons.

Michael
    Both. Take these away and it won't mean much to be an American.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    He was probably a psychopath first. He may not have known what he was.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Time to talk to our congress men and women and support the NRA!

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Until they go after all magazines and your right to own a weapon....... why do you even own a firearm if you think this way?
    Because it's possible to think this way and own a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Because it's possible to think this way and own a firearm.
    It is very hypocritical of you.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links