New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting (MERGED)

This is a discussion on New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting (MERGED) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting (MERGED)

New knee-jerk legislation resulting from the AZ shooting (MERGED)

One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as soon as Monday.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1Ab7Vps20
    Can't say this was unexpected. But it's been a day since the shooting... you'd think they would at least try to not appear to be exploiting a national tragedy.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I don't see how passing laws to control guns really protects people. Passing laws that make it more difficult for honest law abiding citizens to buy guns for self defense or for other legal uses isn't going to solve the problems. Criminals who want to run around committing violent crimes against people are going to get the guns they want, and I don't see a law that can be passed that is going to stop that. I would love to see them pass a gun control law that would really reduce a wood be criminals ability to commit a violent crime with said gun. I'm just shaking my head right now, not really knowing what to think.

Since the left thinks that ALL people are good and just misunderstood or abused or some other not their problem of course they will attack the inanimate object precisely because it can not feel.

Countdown clock to this tread being shut down starts....now!
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Let's try not to politicize this thread. Please?

No mention of right/left or political party. There are plenty of people on both sides of the spectrum that believe in the 2A- so this is not necessarily a left/right issue, but a pro-freedom one. And neither party has a monopoly on liberty.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

it is unlawful to murder. it is a life sentence in some states. it is a life sentence for the 3rd strike in some stated. How much more unlawful does it need to be? and how is that accomplished?
    this is another stupid, not well reasoned knee jerk reaction. CALL and voice your opinion. that can stop this stupid reaction.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

It's a death sentence here in Arizona where the incident happened.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

She's been committed since her husband and son were shot, to pass a gun control bill and end American's all having guns at all. It's her main cause in life. We can only hope that it gets shot down as it has in the past, and recent events don't get a sympathy vote pattern going. Hate to say it, but if her husband had been carrying he might still be here. He didn't , but why try to take that right away from us, so we are all good victims ?.... afterall, it won't stop criminals, murderers, and nut jobs.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I hope everyone remembers that Rep. Giffords is a 2nd Amendment supporter.
    Ruger LCP
    KelTec P11
    Ruger P89
    Taurus M380

Quote Originally Posted by AdoptedTexan View Post
    I hope everyone remembers that Rep. Giffords is a 2nd Amendment supporter.
    And I've heard that she often carries too .... I've wondered if she was that day. Afterall, some things can come so quickly that she may have not been able to react.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

OD*
    Pennsylvania Rep. Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he also plans to take legislative action. He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress
    Figures, to hell with the peasants.
    And they wonder why so many despise their arrogant ..............
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Well... Well... Well..... this wont pass anyways the congress is OWNED by the right. No chance, if this shooting happened about 8 weeks ago, we'd all be handing the guns over to the gestapo.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    I heard on the radio today she was going to introduce legislation to ban the high capacity magazines like the ones used in this incident.

Yeah, that will stop the criminals.

The recent events may very well be the turning point that sparks a new era of gun restrictions.

I pray I'm wrong, but I doubt it. Knee jerk reactions do little to solve the problems they intend to solve, and usually foster more problems never intended.

Biker

One crazed maniac is all it takes to reduce our freedoms in the eyes on gun controllers. This is the exact reason, discussed in another thread, why a national CCW is a bad idea. Now all the gun control groups and politicians will be out to punish us all.Nineteen people shot, what a shame.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links