Magazine Size Limit

This is a discussion on Magazine Size Limit within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Retiredonce Take your friends to the range this weekend and let them reload mags 5 rounds at a time while you shoot. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Size Limit

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    Take your friends to the range this weekend and let them reload mags 5 rounds at a time while you shoot. That will help them understand why most of us have more than a few rounds in our mags.
    Just talking pistol mags right now, I see this argument over and over. Well, I shot competition years ago and mags were loaded with ONLY 5 rounds at a time. Now, I'll admit, I'm not up on some of the newer types of competitions, but watching some of them on TV I don't recall seeing any with these "super" capacity mags.

Bottom line it I have to wonder (again) why I would want a 33 round mag that I won't/can't CC or compete with, still have to put bullets in one round at a time? What ever happened to "practice like you shoot"?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Bottom line it I have to wonder (again) why I would want a 33 round mag that I won't/can't CC or compete with, still have to put bullets in one round at a time? What ever happened to "practice like you shoot"?
    I agree that 33 round mags are excessive, but many folks have 10 and 15 round mags in their everyday cc that are considered by some to be excessive. I should have made that clearer in my OP...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Just talking pistol mags right now, I see this argument over and over. Well, I shot competition years ago and mags were loaded with ONLY 5 rounds at a time. Now, I'll admit, I'm not up on some of the newer types of competitions, but watching some of them on TV I don't recall seeing any with these "super" capacity mags.

"Practice like you shoot" is great, I recommend it for everyone who carries or competes. Another nice thing to do at the range is have FUN! Semi-auto AR's, AK's, 10-22's are as close as most of us will ever come to firing a full auto gun. I doubt any of us will ever get a hold of a GLOCK 18. Being able to send 30+ rounds downrange without having to stop and reload is nice, yeah not for defensive scenarios or target shooting but maybe for cans, vegetables, bottles of liquid, etc. The point is high capacity magazines (or ammuntion as the libs were spewing on Sunday) are just part of the tool being used by someone with the intent to kill. Now somebody wake me when they come up with an effective ban on the true culprit in any murder-INTENT.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I own many so-called high capacity magazines, and so far I haven't had any urge to commit murder. Are my magazines defective, or is the argument against these magazine created from fresh, steaming bovine droppings?

Note: I would normally mention the Constitution and Bill of Rights, but that would be hate speach according to the leftists.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

You can put a 150 round limit or a 10 round limit into effect. It would not matter. Tomorrow or next year these same people would come back and demand a 149 or 9 round limit. Then 148 or 8 and so on. If you are wiling to give in do it knowing that it is a starting point and not a final end to the battle. Remember when the anti's said they were only out to ban the machine guns?

Michael

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

Most of the pistol mags that are large capacity like the 30+ round mags are for pistol caliber carbines and the 33 round Glock mag was for the G18 machine pistol... You don't have to carry or practice with a 30 round pistol mag. You can choose that since you are free to do so. But if the ridiculous legislation passes that means nobody can have one, no matter what reason they have.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

The problem with the legislation isnt that 33 round mags are not "necessary" for target shooting or SD, but the fact that it will have NO impact on crime or murder. So, I ask, *** IS THE POINT of passing it?

Listening to the local news while reading this. John Yarmuth is yapping about how there should be a ban on high capacity "clips" ( yelled their called magazines at the TV). If the capacity for magazines was set at 8-10 rounds, those who wanted to perpetrate violence against large number of people would simply carry more magazines. He seems so reactionary I wonder if intelligent, civil discourse is even possible. Let the knee jerking begin in the bluegrass state.

I think the important issue is constitutional; the powers not explicity granted the federal government reside with the States and the people. It is not my (or anyone else) responsbility to have to explain why they want a high capacity magazine; maybe I want it to shoot rats, or I want it because I like big magazines, or I don't want to reload, maybe I think it looks cool...it doesn't matter. Unless the government can demonstrate a compelling argument, within the constitution to restrict my right, the answer to that is none of their business. I realize you are asking this for informational purposes, as a devils advocate, so my irritation is not with you, but the Statists that seem to believe all power is in the hands of government and that they give the people what they see fit. In our form of government, all power is in the hands of the people, and we grant certain powers to the government. A similar argument could be made about free speech; I don't need to explain why I want to talk or write on a particular topic; it is my right to do so without government interference. Similarly, I can attend whatever church I want without needing to explain to anyone my choice..anyway, just some thoughts expressing my irritation with the Left...

Another benefit for the hi-cap Glock mags is if you have a Keltec carbine that accepts them

Another able recipe for zombies
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The 2 that were doing the sniping in Va, only shot 1 bullet at at time... and had the whole NE part of the US concerned and ducking.
    People can kill without a gun, one at all is not required. Look at the number of stabbings, stangulations, etc. that go on in the USA. So, how would any of this be effected ? One bomb can do in 1 second, what it would take several bullets to do.... ask any terrorist. Someone who is determined to do it, probably can. Driving a 4000 lb car into a crowd can do a lot as well. This has been going on since the start of time and Abel.

It's not about magazine capacity, nor the gun, but the person committing the act. They are determined to do what they are going to do, and the death penalty and "laws" are not a deterent, so at that point it's only a matter on method. Example; the 2 that rigged propane tanks and then hid them at school with the idea to blow people up with them.

In this particular case, a larger mag may have helped, by hanging up when it did.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The thing is that this will not just affect pistols, but long-guns also! I own some and I want to be able to use them in them! The new law will most likely outlaw them completely! They have been calling for the "assault-weapons" ban everytime something like this occurs, even when the shooter never used one of these so-called weapons! And calling for the "gun-show loop-hole" even when the guns where purchased at a gun shop! That in it's self tells you that they will never stop!

Another thing is this will be just another step towards a total ban on firearms! We give in to this now, then another tragedy will happen and they will be calling for another ban on whatever the shooter uses!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    The 2 that were doing the sniping in Va, only shot 1 bullet at at time... and had the whole NE part of the US concerned and ducking.
    People can kill without a gun, one at all is not required. Look at the number of stabbings, stangulations, etc. that go on in the USA. So, how would any of this be effected ? One bomb can do in 1 second, what it would take several bullets to do.... ask any terrorist. Someone who is determined to do it, probably can. Driving a 4000 lb car into a crowd can do a lot as well. This has been going on since the start of time and Abel.

It's not about magazine capacity, nor the gun, but the person committing the act. They are determined to do what they are going to do, and the death penalty and "laws" are not a deterent, so at that point it's only a matter on method. Example; the 2 that rigged propane tanks and then hid them at school with the idea to blow people up with them.

In this particular case, a larger mag may have helped, by hanging up when it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    The thing is that this will not just affect pistols, but long-guns also! I own some and I want to be able to use them in them! The new law will most likely outlaw them completely! They have been calling for the "assault-weapons" ban everytime something like this occurs, even when the shooter never used one of these so-called weapons! And calling for the "gun-show loop-hole" even when the guns where purchased at a gun shop! That in it's self tells you that they will never stop!

Another thing is this will be just another step towards a total ban on firearms! We give in to this now, then another tragedy will happen and they will be calling for another ban on whatever the shooter uses!
    You are preaching to the choir.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    You are preaching to the choir.
    It needs to be said, though. There are some in the choir who are seriously off-key, and threaten to get us all tossed off stage
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    If the capacity for magazines was set at 8-10 rounds, those who wanted to perpetrate violence against large number of people would simply carry more magazines.
    OP here. That's what I told my friends. Either that or he would just have another gun on him so he wouldn't have to reload. My friends' point was that with higher capacity magazines, a shooter could keep up the fire (and do more damage) before needing to reload when he could be stopped (By unarmed people of course). I believe the shooter in Arizona was tackled or something when he finally needed to reload. I still think that capacity restrictions are ridiculously stupid, but I'm not a very good debater and kind of got hung up on that one. That's when I turned to you guys for an answer.

I wanted to tell them that if everyone in the crowd was armed, the guy wouldn't last 4 seconds (), but libs don't seem to want to listen to that argument. Go figure. And with 3 liberal roommates against one, I need to pick my battles.
    Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

- Andrew Fletcher 1698

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links