Magazine Size Limit

This is a discussion on Magazine Size Limit within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, So after the terrible shooting that just happened in Arizona, all I've been hearing on the news (all my roommates at school pretty ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Size Limit

Magazine Size Limit

Hey guys,

So after the terrible shooting that just happened in Arizona, all I've been hearing on the news (all my roommates at school pretty much watch exclusively MSNBC...sickening) is how we desperately need new gun legislation. Also sickening.

One thing in particular I heard was how magazine size should be limited....that guns that have more than a few rounds' capacity are designed specifically to be used in shootings like these. That we can't possibly need that much ammo unless we're going to go on a rampage.

I know this is an old argument that comes up anytime gun control is mentioned; I was just looking to see if anyone had any new, fresh opinions.
    Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

- Andrew Fletcher 1698

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Old opinion, mag size limits will have no effect what so ever on criminal’s intentions.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

What amount is acceptable for your friends? 5 rounds, 10 rounds, 15 ????
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    I've got a better idea. Rather than pass legislation that repealed once before because it had no effect whatsoever other than to limit and hinder law abiding citizens, let just make it illegal to use a gun to kill someone with.

Oh wait, that is already illegal.

Lets make it illegal to kill someone whether it be a rock, a gun with a 10 round magazine or a gun with a 33 round magazine.

Ahh crap. Thats already illegal too.

Here is an idea. Lets instead penalize every citizen in America that has not murdered anyone and limit their their magazine capacity to make them less dangerous.

I am genuinely concerned for our country when people use stupid,irrational arguments that don't make sense and often emotion to pass a law...like a law actually prevents people from going berserk and killing someone. If they are too stupid to understand such a simple concept, perhaps we should make it illegal for any legislator, politician,city council,state senate, Congress or President to pass laws that do nothing but serve to help weak minded people feel better about themselves, and that,is all this magazine limitation is about.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think we should send Congress home for a one year furlough without pay to help reduce budget and keep stupid laws from being passed during a time of distress. We could reconvene in time to pass next fiscal year's budget.

yes, it is a cross post of mine, but it fits.
    more laws are a useless wast of time. Murder is a capital crime crime here in AZ. There is no law that you can make or think of that will stop a lone guy trying to kill someone.
    The best defense is everyone around him being armed and a lethal injection.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I am genuinely concerned for our country when people use stupid,irrational arguments that don't make sense and often emotion to pass a law...like a law actually prevents people from going berserk and killing someone.
    I agree completely. It's baffling to me that people cannot understand that new, more restrictive laws do not make it more difficult for people to kill each other. It doesn't make sense to try and prevent those who break the law from breaking the law with a new law.

Clip size doesn't make any difference to me, by the way. Just wanted to clear that up. Wasn't sure I was completely clear in my original post.
    Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

- Andrew Fletcher 1698

Laws don't stop criminals.

Consequences of breaking laws might deter criminals.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Take your friends to the range this weekend and let them reload mags 5 rounds at a time while you shoot. That will help them understand why most of us have more than a few rounds in our mags.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    If they're msnbc fans, 0, would be their preference. They won't be happy until they've restricted or banned ammunition, re-loading components, gun making materials, holsters, ranges, training, etc. We'll be unarmed in America and vulnerable to attack like so many other countries.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    That's a fact.

I know this is an old argument that comes up anytime gun control is mentioned.........
    Argument? Can't be. A sore spot......maybe. Magazines, ammo, guns. Apple pie and ice cream, chili and hot dogs, pizza and beer......the list goes on. This is America. Gun control leads to population control. "Gun control" are two words we should never think of in our right minds, or never speak of amongst ourselves no matter what our masters lay down for the slaves. What you and I know is that we're smarter then them. It's available any day of the week whenever one of them opens their mouth in public. Deep down........we're the enemy. Defend yourself or be conquered (again). Worry about such little things as numbers in your sleep. If you knew the truth, you'd never sleep. Complain about the things that were done while you were asleep, and you can only blame yourself for being tired. Sleep not these days, and be ready to defend in the darkest hours.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    It doesn't matter. As soon as you set a limit, the anti's will start chipping away at that.
    Read the second amendment and tell me where it sets the limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    Take your friends to the range this weekend and let them reload mags 5 rounds at a time while you shoot. That will help them understand why most of us have more than a few rounds in our mags.
    I actually like reloading magazines at the range. It gives me a chance to relax, think about what I'm doing, and step back for a minute. If I just shoot, I find I'm not thinking about getting better, I'm just throwing lead downrange. Also, with a Lula, loading is a breeze.

Having said that, I would oppose any restriction. It would not solve a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post

Consequences of breaking laws might deter criminals.
    To add a corollary: More laws create more criminals.

Think about this hypothetical situation: if suddenly America became gun-free, and we were all given a period of 30 days to turn our weapons over to the government (even if they paid you, like they did in Britain), how many of us previously law-abiding citizens would now become criminals through this inaction? Think about it, wouldn't you hesitate to turn ALL of your guns over, especially if you had the means to hide at least one away someplace *just in case*?

I bet the majority of us would become criminals overnight.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

If they (the libs) HAVE to make a mag size limit, then it should be at least 150 round limit.
    Maybe that will make them feel good.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If any new gun legislation was bad last week/month/year/10 years/25 years ago.....it's still a bad idea today/tomorrow/forever. The only thing that has changed is the emotion behind these events. People (including legislators) make bad decisions when emotion is involved...or maybe that's the only way their bad bills pass.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links