Another in NY Times: "Why Not Regulate Guns as Seriously as Toys?" - Page 2

Another in NY Times: "Why Not Regulate Guns as Seriously as Toys?"

This is a discussion on Another in NY Times: "Why Not Regulate Guns as Seriously as Toys?" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HKinNY In Nassau once you get your Pistol license you can purchase as many purchase orders as you like for $10.00 each. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another in NY Times: "Why Not Regulate Guns as Seriously as Toys?"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    In Nassau once you get your Pistol license you can purchase as many purchase orders as you like for $10.00 each. The PO are good thru the calander year. Go to any gun store buy what you like,they fill out Po and u walk out of the store with the firearm. You have 10 days to get back to police HQ to have it added to your license. You can carry it,shoot it,polish it, dance with it but must be added within the 10 day window.
    Lucky. In Westchester we have to purchase the pistol first, file for an amendment, wait for a judge to sign it, go back to the clerk to get new permit and coupon and then return to the dealer to take possession.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Who's going to protect us from the regulators ? Next it will be knives, then bats, then kitchen utinsels, then aresols. It goes on and on.
    It goes on and on and it often ridiculous, particularly at the local level, but that doesn't mean that regulations aren't important to very many aspects of our lives. As to who regulates the regulators, the answer is politicians and judges who are (here) elected.

In our community, I learned last night, that even the colors used to paint stores have been regulated and had to come from an official color palette. So yes, regulations can get overdone. But that fact by itself does not mean regulations should not ever exist. Remember, its regulations which keep planes from falling out of the sky on a daily basis. Its regulations which help keep you from being fed bad food and given bad medicine. And yes, it is law suits too which help to keep us from being given bad medicine.

I can't go into details, but I know someone who works for a huge law firm which seems to have as its main business purpose defending pharmaceutical companies. I've been told that it is not uncommon for them to make a purely economic decision that they will violate a regulation because the punishment is less than the profit which can be obtained. The fact that they do this is no argument against regulation. It just shows how low some folks will get. Same thing happens with guns; there is a segment which will stoop very low and guess that they won't get caught. Usually, we call them felons. Sometimes we call them crazies, but that doesn't mean there isn't a place for laws designed to reduce the opportunity for doing bad things.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Lucky. In Westchester we have to purchase the pistol first, file for an amendment, wait for a judge to sign it, go back to the clerk to get new permit and coupon and then return to the dealer to take possession.
    New Yorkers, My sympathies! But the question was "Why Not Regulate Guns as Seriously as Toys?" So what would the process be for buying, say, a Hotwheels car, or a tickle me Elmo? The only reason I picked on New York was I was working there up to last week, and looked into whether or not I could have a hand gun in my hotel room. After a quick look I gave up. Finding out that toys are more seriously regulated, I feel sorry for the Kids. Next time I’m up there maybe I'll smuggle in toy cars and sell them on the black market.
    Last edited by dylistn; January 13th, 2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I don't think NY is that screwed up. It just takes a little longer, that's all.

Once you have your permit, it's relatively simple to purchase a new firearm.

You of course, must go through the 7743 FBI Form, then (in Ulster County, NY) you take your purchase receipt to the county sheriff's office. They record the firearm on your permit, and give you a coupon stating this was done. You then bring the coupon back to where you bought the firearm, give them the coupon, and walk out with your gun.
    In TN, Laws like that would require the legislature to make a fighting retreat to Illinois, (they would not want slow down in Kentucky) and possibly all the way to Canada. Our process is Bad enough. But you need to get a permit to purchase a gun? Do you need a permit to purchase a long gun, or only handguns?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dylistn View Post
    New Yorkers, My sympathies! But the question was "Why Not Regulate Guns as Seriously as Toys?" So what would the process be for buying, say, a Hotwheels car, or a tickle me Elmo? The only reason I picked on New York was I was working there up to last week, and looked into whether or not I could have a hand gun in my hotel room. After a quick look I gave up. Finding out that toys are more seriously regulated, I feel sorry for the Kids. Next time I’m up there maybe I'll smuggle in toy cars and sell them on the black market.
    Thank you! It's not an easy process here. And it could take a few days to a few weeks for the judge to sign the amendment papers.

The only regulation for toys I can think of is not allowing certain ones into the country. You know things like those evil Kinder Eggs that get seized at the border. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...se-border.html

Distinguished Member
    In TN, Laws like that would require the legislature to make a fighting retreat to Illinois, (they would not want slow down in Kentucky) and possibly all the way to Canada. Our process is Bad enough. But you need to get a permit to purchase a gun? Do you need a permit to purchase a long gun, or only handguns?
    We need a permit before we can purchase a gun. We are printed, FBI checked and mental health records are queried. Permit for handguns only, not long guns, unless you live in NYC then you need a permit for long guns also.

Ahh, there's the rub. Yes, you need permit. And, because New York is a "may issue" state, you need to be approved by a judge in your county. This judge has the power to give you a "full carry" permit, a "sports/range" permit, or "residence only" permit, or for that matter, no permit at all. The problem is, that all county judges are different. They are elected officials, and some counties (closer to NY City especially), the judges are not as likely to give permits, or severely restrict them.

This whole process usually takes many months, and I've had some friends that say it took more than a year. The paperwork is lengthy, and you usually need four notorized references. That said, once the permit is issued, it's not as bad getting additional guns on the permit (for most counties).

And, to answer your other question, this procedure is for handguns only, not long guns. (Except, as mentioned by fastk9dad, in NY City)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It goes on and on and it often ridiculous, particularly at the local level, but that doesn't mean that regulations aren't important to very many aspects of our lives. As to who regulates the regulators, the answer is politicians and judges who are (here) elected.

In our community, I learned last night, that even the colors used to paint stores have been regulated and had to come from an official color palette. So yes, regulations can get overdone. But that fact by itself does not mean regulations should not ever exist. Remember, its regulations which keep planes from falling out of the sky on a daily basis. Its regulations which help keep you from being fed bad food and given bad medicine. And yes, it is law suits too which help to keep us from being given bad medicine.

I can't go into details, but I know someone who works for a huge law firm which seems to have as its main business purpose defending pharmaceutical companies. I've been told that it is not uncommon for them to make a purely economic decision that they will violate a regulation because the punishment is less than the profit which can be obtained. The fact that they do this is no argument against regulation. It just shows how low some folks will get. Same thing happens with guns; there is a segment which will stoop very low and guess that they won't get caught. Usually, we call them felons. Sometimes we call them crazies, but that doesn't mean there isn't a place for laws designed to reduce the opportunity for doing bad things.
    I cant argue the point that some regulations are good. When people cant regulate themselves and exercise common sense, regulations are good but when does it end. When to the politicians stop regulating from a sense of self purpose, self indulgence and ego ? When do judges stop writing laws from the bench. Hopyard, I really wish I was as optimistic as you. None the less, more regulations will not direct behaviors of those who ignore them nor will they instill a sense of conscience in the regulators who feel the need to control the masses. Yes, I agree, how low will they go. When will they quit believing that all should be controlled by the actions of the few. As it's been said earlier, isn't that what laws are for? Enforce them, apply the laws to those who cant self regulate but, they can leave me/us/you/them/I alone. I haven't broken any laws lately that I'm aware of. I doubt if you have either. What happened to the Freedom of choice? If I want a 30 round magizine...so what. I don't want one but if I did then why not? Who am I hurting? I can go to the range and I can have three 10 rounders. I can stop shooting at nine, dump and slam the next in a few seconds and keep going. Why is there some here, there and way out there that feel people need to regulate choice and thats all it is because you cant regulate crazies.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links