Feel good letter

Feel good letter

This is a discussion on Feel good letter within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know my single letter will have little to no impact, but I feel better knowing that I sent one. I would suggest that others ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feel good letter

Feel good letter

I know my single letter will have little to no impact, but I feel better knowing that I sent one. I would suggest that others do the same.

To: John Boehner, Speaker of the House
    Sen. Frank Lautenberg, Senator

I am writing you today in regards to the horrific tragedy that happened in Arizona and new legislation that is rumored to be introduced.
    I’ve heard the term “sensible gun control” thrown around and I would like to know who defines what sensible is? To me sensible is for all residents of our great nation to have the same ability to own and carry a weapon if they so desire. There is enough legislation on the books today and we don’t need more. What we need is for the current legislation to be enforced.
    Unfortunately no legislation would have prevented what happened over the weekend. Legislation only applies to those that are willing to abide by it. The proposed legislation of no firearms within 1000 feet of an “important” politician is ludicrous. First of all like I have already stated, only law-abiding citizens would follow this and these are not the people that are committing the crimes. All this legislation would do is disarm safe law-abiding citizens. Second what defines “important”? Aren’t we all-important to our families? Is a politician more important then someone else?
    We have laws that state you cannot bring a firearm into a school, we still have school shooting. We have laws that state you cannot commit murder, we still have murders. There are laws that state you cannot rob a bank, there are still bank robberies. All these laws have 1 thing in common; they only abide to law-abiding citizens.
    While I cannot personally disagree with the elimination of 30 round magazines (if you are going to use terms at least use the proper term, they are magazines and not clips) for handguns I don’t believe a blanket limitation of 10 or 15 rounds is the correct legislation. If you feel you must legislate something I suggest the legislation be more along the lines of a hand gun can not have a magazine larger then designed and provided with the handgun as OEM. A handgun is designed for a specific weight and balance, the magazine and ammunition within the magazine play into the engineering.
    I find it extremely ironic that some of the most verbal political supporters of gun control themselves have carry permits. In some cases these same individuals are protected by the best trained police forces in the world. Some of these forces are larger then the entire military in other countries. Are we to understand that these politicians don’t feel that the police forces can protect them, but they are capable of protecting the average citizen? Is a politician’s life more import then others? Is a politician more important the their family then I am? On of the great notions our nation was founded on is that all people are created equal. What happened to this equality?

Rich Milchman

Your letter is still compromising to something that no law abiding citizen should have to compromise to. I dont like it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Your letter is still compromising to something that no law abiding citizen should have to compromise to. I dont like it personally.
    My suggestion is to send a letter only stating what you feel is appropriate. If we all do / say nothing, then we can not complain about what may happen.

In my case, it probably doesn't matter what I say as my senetor believes no-one should be allowed to have / own a gun.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I like and agree with the first part of your letter but your letter can be used as ammunition for banning high capacity magazines. "See even firearm owners think we should ban these high capacity clips" As they pass your letter around.

Once they start banning them where will they stop? 15? 10? 6? 0 is what they are after

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    I like and agree with the first part of your letter but your letter can be used as ammunition for banning high capacity magazines. "See even firearm owners think we should ban these high capacity clips" As they pass your letter around.

Once they start banning them where will they stop? 15? 10? 6? 0 is what they are after

+1 to both
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

While personally I don't see a need for a 30 round magazine, the way I tried to phrase it if the gun came with a 30 round magazine then it would be fine to have it in that gun. Maybe it didn't come off that way. Either way write your legislators and let them know how you feel.

I kept it simple in the letter I sent to my Law Makers.................

Dear Sir, in light of the horrible murderous act committed in Arizona, by an obviously mentally ill person, I am very worried there will be knee jerk reactions by law makers, that while possibly done with good intentions, will infringe on the 1st and 2nd amendment rights of honest law abiding citizens of this country.

The 1st amendment guarantees us the right to free speech, which gives us the right to peaceably have public discourse and debate, while the 2nd amendment guarantees us the right to own and bear arms; they are not only tradition in our country, but rights that many Americans have fought and died for. I'm sure many will petition to disarm honest citizens and silence the political voices of America based on fears it may trigger the lunatic fringe, but it's unconstitutional to infringe on the rights of citizens because of the irrational actions of a few.

I understand the hurt and pain inflicted by the shooter, but to blame this on anything or anyone other than the shooter is utterly and completely absurd and anyone implying otherwise is surly doing so with an agenda. What I am asking of you Sir, is to defend our Constitution and the rights it guarantees us citizens, from those that will use this tragic event as an excuse to deprive us of them.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families; this was truly a sad day for our nation. Vr...

MSgt John Luttrell USAF Retired
    John Luttrell

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    While personally I don't see a need for a 30 round magazine, the way I tried to phrase it if the gun came with a 30 round magazine then it would be fine to have it in that gun. Maybe it didn't come off that way. Either way write your legislators and let them know how you feel.
    Yet some people personally don't see a need for you to own a handgun.... does that mean that they should be taken from everyone?

I have pointed this out to many a firearm owner willing to bend over and compromise on something that should not be compromised on... it makes me sad to think even people who exercise their rights to keep and bear arms feel the need to restrict them just because THEY don't use something or feel the need to own one.

One day someone is going to not feel the need for something you own and try to take it from you, then see how you feel about the whole restriction thing.

One day someone is going to not feel the need for something you own and try to take it from you, then see how you feel about the whole restriction thing.
    They are, I live in NJ...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Please voice yours by writing to your legislators?

In my honest opinion, your letter is a slap in the face to everyone who cherishes the 2d amendment freedoms they have and people like you will be the downfall of the firearms community. I don't have to write my legislators because we don't vote in anti-gun liberal scum out here. They got our backs right down to the Governor.

In my honest opinion, your letter is a slap in the face to everyone who cherishes the 2d amendment freedoms they have and people like you will be the downfall of the firearms community.
    Sorry you feel that way, but that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    How about no aftermarket grips or sights? No trigger or spring changes either. The gun didn't originally come out with them after all. They aren't really needed; the gun will still operate.
    No aftermarket wheels on your car, no changing the exhaust system or spring set up. Leave it stock or lose it.
    America has been about freedom. The freedom to change, customize, individualize. That is slowly changing.
    While I applaud your action rmilchman, I disagree with your reasoning.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    How about no aftermarket grips or sights? No trigger or spring changes either. The gun didn't originally come out with them after all. They aren't really needed; the gun will still operate.
    No aftermarket wheels on your car, no changing the exhaust system or spring set up. Leave it stock or lose it.
    America has been about freedom. The freedom to change, customize, individualize. That is slowly changing.
    While I applaud your action rmilchman, I disagree with your reasoning.
    Feel free to modify as you desire. You can change your wheels on your car, springs, audio.. Remove your catalytic convert you have broken the law.

I don't feel the need for people from NJ up to maine to be allowed to leave their states and infect the rest of the country with their liberal mindset.... so does that mean we can build a wall?

What started out to be a way to get others to write to their legislation before any legislation gets rushed through because of this weekend has turned into a personal attack by some. Maybe it's time the moderators close this thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links