On Feb. 1, people will no longer be able to purchase ammunition via the Internet or

On Feb. 1, people will no longer be able to purchase ammunition via the Internet or

This is a discussion on On Feb. 1, people will no longer be able to purchase ammunition via the Internet or within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; BY MAIL ORDER. http://www.policeone.com/investigati...w-law-on-ammo/ January 17, 2011 Calif. to impose new law on ammo Proponents of the law say it will make the task of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy On Feb. 1, people will no longer be able to purchase ammunition via the Internet or

BY MAIL ORDER.

http://www.policeone.com/investigati...w-law-on-ammo/

January 17, 2011

Calif. to impose new law on ammo

Proponents of the law say it will make the task of investigating gun-related crime easier for law enforcement

By Matt Drange
    Eureka Times - Standard

While the holiday shopping season is long gone, some Humboldt County residents are stocking up on ammunition for fear of a new California law that goes into effect next month placing restrictions on the purchase of bullets.

Under the law, those buying handgun ammunition will be required to provide vendors with their thumbprint, address and photo identification, with the idea that it will make the task of investigating and preventing gun-related crime easier for law enforcement. Convicted felons who are already barred from owning a gun, for example, can still purchase bullets under the current law.

But for some, the restrictions are another example of an infringement on gun rights protected by the Second Amendment.

"There's a lot of uncertainty. It feels like our government is trying to control us more and more," said a customer at Pro Sport Center in Eureka on Sunday. The customer declined to give his name for this story, but said he's been buying ammunition in recent months every chance he gets.

"Why have guns without ammunition?" said the customer, adding that he keeps at least a dozen guns at his Blue Lake home, including hunting rifles, handguns and a shotgun that he got from his parents for his 12th birthday. "We're heading for a complete restriction on firearms. I don't want the government to know what's in my gun cabinet."

Already home to some of the strictest gun laws in the country, California will add to the list beginning on Feb. 1, when people will no longer be able to purchase ammunition via the Internet or by mail order. Instead, buyers will need to pick up their ammunition at licensed vendors, like Pro Sport Center in Eureka.
    John Corbett handles purchasing at the store and said he spent the end of last year traveling to gun shows and preparing for a possible increase in sales.

"In case there is a run, I want to make sure that we're stocked up," Corbett said, adding that he hopes to avoid a similar situation to the one in 2009, which featured a nation-wide rush on handguns and semi-automatic weapons that many feared would be banned under a new administration.

"That was the big push for a while," Corbett said. "I remember Glocks being backordered by the thousands."

Pro Sport Center isn't the only local store preparing for a rush. Ron Snyder, a volunteer at Old West Shootery and Supply in Eureka, said he's seen a similar increase in demand for ammunition in the last month.

"The .22 caliber is going really fast," Snyder said, adding that gun sales have been relatively stable at the shop, which also features the county's only indoor shooting range. A box of 50 rounds of .22-caliber bullets costs $9.95 at the store."All year they've been coming in, asking to buy 10 boxes at a time," Snyder said. "People are just hoarding ammunition."

Snyder said the new law is essentially an extension of existing gun laws, which require a background check of buyers and a 10-day waiting period to purchase a gun. Violations will be treated as a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

To adjust for the new law -- which is being challenged in a lawsuit brought about by gun-rights advocates in Fresno County -- people like Corbett are working on new forms to use when selling ammunition. Stores will soon be required to record who buys bullets, how many and which type, and will have to keep the information on file for five years.

"It's just one more step for us," Corbett said. "We want a system that's easy on us and, most importantly, easy for the customer."

Copyright © 2010 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
    Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy

Copyright 2011 Eureka Times - Standard

Not People....just the sheep in California who allow stupid laws like this to go unchallenged.
    Recall elections, civil suits, media campaigns, etc...the tactics of the enemy. Use them against them or...this is what you get stuck with.
    I feel sorry for any freedom loving individual who can't move from that cesspit of communism.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I guess this is good news if you sell ammo in one of the neighboring states.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I guess this is good news if you sell ammo in one of the neighboring states.
    I wonder if they will set up checkpoints?

Wow. That state is almost as bad as New Jersey.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I can see it now, Sir the reason why I have stopped you is a receipt for ammunition was in plain sight with the words ONLINE ORDER stamped on it. May I have your consent to search for internet purchased ammo?
    One more step and it's on!

NO: [CALIFORNIA STATE] COURT INVALIDATES UNCONSTITUTIONAL AMMUNITION REGULATION STATUTE (AB962)
    Calguns Foundation ^ | 1/18/2011 |

In a dramatic ruling giving gun owners a win in an National Rifle Association / California Rifle and Pistol (CRPA) Foundation lawsuit, this morning Fresno Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Hamilton ruled that AB 962, the hotly contested statute that would have banned mail order ammunition sales and required all purchases of so called “handgun ammunition” to be registered, was unconstitutionally vague on its face. The Court enjoined enforcement of the statute, so mail order ammunition sales to California can continue unabated, and ammunition sales need not be registered under the law.

The lawsuit was prompted in part by the many objections and questions raised by confused police, ammunition purchasers, and sellers about what ammunition is covered by the new laws created by AB 962. In a highly unusual move that reflects growing law enforcement opposition to ineffective gun control laws, Tehama County Sheriff Clay Parker is the lead plaintiff in the lawsuit. Other plaintiffs include the CRPA Foundation, Herb Bauer Sporting Goods, ammunition shipper Able’s Ammo, collectible ammunition shipper RTG Sporting Collectibles, and individual Steven Stonecipher. Mendocino Sheriff Tom Allman also supported the lawsuit.

The ruling comes just days before the portion of the law that bans mail order sales of so called “handgun ammunition” was set to take effect on February 1, 2011. The lawsuit, Parker v. California is funded exclusively by the NRA and the CRPA Foundation. If it had gone into effect, AB 962 would have imposed burdensome and ill conceived restrictions on the sales of ammunition. AB 962 required that “handgun ammunition” be stored out of the reach of customers, that ammunition vendors collect ammunition sales registration information and thumb-prints from purchasers, and conduct transactions face-to-face for all deliveries and transfers of “handgun ammunition.” The lawsuit successfully sought the declaration from the Court that the statute was unconstitutional, and successfully sought the injunctive relief prohibiting law enforcement from enforcing the new laws.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    NO: [CALIFORNIA STATE] COURT INVALIDATES UNCONSTITUTIONAL AMMUNITION REGULATION STATUTE (AB962)
    Calguns Foundation ^ | 1/18/2011 |

In a dramatic ruling giving gun owners a win in an National Rifle Association / California Rifle and Pistol (CRPA) Foundation lawsuit, this morning Fresno Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Hamilton ruled that AB 962, the hotly contested statute that would have banned mail order ammunition sales and required all purchases of so called “handgun ammunition” to be registered, was unconstitutionally vague on its face. The Court enjoined enforcement of the statute, so mail order ammunition sales to California can continue unabated, and ammunition sales need not be registered under the law.
    - That's too bad. Can you imagine what the headlines would have been for February 1, 2011?

"Gun Violence A Thing Of The Past"
    "California The Safest State In The Nation"
    "Avian Sus Domestica Sighting"

Yay! Something went right in CA!

MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Fresno Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Hamilton

A man who deserves a standing ovation!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I was just about to buy 5000 more rounds of 9mm and .40 cal... Thank God... I need to move to Arizona or something...
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

-George Orwell

"Paternus Deus Humana Fraternitas" (Fatherhood of God, Brotherhood of Man)

I'm really glad I live in the south.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Judge Hamilton needs to be careful. You don't stay in office in Califoria for very long with decisions like that.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyrob125 View Post
    I was just about to buy 5000 more rounds of 9mm and .40 cal... Thank God... I need to move to Arizona or something...
    Good luck if you could find any on the shelves locally. North County Walmarts have had empty shelves since before Christmas from all us "hoarders" preparing for February 1st. The LGS have been jacking their prices way up. In San Marcos the Walmart clerk told me last Thursday that every caliber was selling out by 9am on the date of delivery (the shelves were EMPTY...bare....devoid....). This being overturned is GREAT NEWS ! Thank God I only live here part of the year.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links