Blog post prompts police to seize weapons from Arlington businessman - Page 3

Blog post prompts police to seize weapons from Arlington businessman

This is a discussion on Blog post prompts police to seize weapons from Arlington businessman within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Come on. Its not the new America. Incitement laws have been on the books for the entirety of the nation's history ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blog post prompts police to seize weapons from Arlington businessman

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Come on. Its not the new America. Incitement laws have been on the books for the entirety of the nation's history as have laws against threatening. And where they haven't been on the books they were enforced as common law; some things are just wrong and the judicial system takes that into account. This issue is not about free speech. And as far as posts here, supporting this stuff or endorsing it really really really doesn't do much for our image.
    Hopy...now you come on....you should've seen right through that (my post). The guy lacked tact...plain and simple.

I'm gonna go with "big dummy" as well.

An item that folk who are not MA residents should know is that by statute here the right to possess a firearm is a _privilege_ not an inherent right.
    Further this state is a 'May Issue' state as opposed to 'Shall Issue'.
    Additionally as part and parcel to these two facts; The statute toward gun possession demands that the owner possess a valid FID (Firearms Identification card) as a minimum. Only exception being air guns.

Along with that application toward and assignment of the card is and does remain contingent on that of the provisional applicant and license holder being deemed to be a person of 'good standing'.
    This latter item is not at all clearly defined in the GL and by that open to interpretation and application by the issuing authority (Police!) of a persons given town or city of residence or business location.

So what happened is they revoked his LTC for concern that he no longer is a person of 'goo standing' and moral character, which in MA is not unlawful per the statute.
    From there as the statute mandates that one must possess a _valid_ FID at a minimum in order to possess firearms OR ammunition (including any and all components such as brass, powders, unfired projectiles and primers) then again by statute the police likely submitted a warrant to enter and confiscate all of his equipment. Lawful.

Lessons learned here:

1) Don't move to MA (!)
    2) If you live in MA....Move elsewhere.
    3) If you live in MA and do not choose to move elsewhere, then well you had darn well batter act like you know and self moderate yourself or else you too could find yourself a pickle layered in jam just like this fool.

- Janq

Corcoran’s post went on to criticize a report of the attacks that said the shooter was “firing indiscriminately.” His wrote in his blog that, “It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot ‘indiscriminately’.Target only politicians and their staff, and leave regular citizens alone.” [Emphasis was a part of Corcoran’s original post.]

Source - http://www.wickedlocal.com/arlington...sial-blog-post
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    3) If you live in MA and do not choose to move elsewhere, then well you had darn well batter act like you know and self moderate yourself or else you too could find yourself a pickle layered in jam just like this fool.
    - Janq
    Our world is full of folks who can not self moderate themselves. Wherever you live, and without regard to gun laws, learning that is essential. Most folks learn it by the end of kindergarten; the ones who don't eventually mess up.

For what ever it's worth. People granted the ability to carry should consider themsleves "model citizens" and avoid such ill filtered comments as this bloke has done also the fool in Utah that had the Radio. EVEN IF I wasn't into firearms and such I still wouldn't have come close to saying something along those lines.

Heck I work for a school district and carry....I'm really held to a standard above the avg. citizen..heck even my driving habits are accountable. My wife is about to be a teacher...so we "filter" alot what the avg. citizen just chalks up as "whatever" I can say this or that...act this way other that way....

Self moderation is a constant practice....along with self reflection.

I'm gonna go with "big dummy" as well.

An item that folk who are not MA residents should know is that by statute here the right to possess a firearm is a _privilege_ not an inherent right.
    Further this state is a 'May Issue' state as opposed to 'Shall Issue'.
    Additionally as part and parcel to these two facts; The statute toward gun possession demands that the owner possess a valid FID (Firearms Identification card) as a minimum. Only exception being air guns.

Along with that application toward and assignment of the card is and does remain contingent on that of the provisional applicant and license holder being deemed to be a person of 'good standing'.
    This latter item is not at all clearly defined in the GL and by that open to interpretation and application by the issuing authority (Police!) of a persons given town or city of residence or business location.

So what happened is they revoked his LTC for concern that he no longer is a person of 'goo standing' and moral character, which in MA is not unlawful per the statute.
    From there as the statute mandates that one must possess a _valid_ FID at a minimum in order to possess firearms OR ammunition (including any and all components such as brass, powders, unfired projectiles and primers) then again by statute the police likely submitted a warrant to enter and confiscate all of his equipment. Lawful.

Lessons learned here:

1) Don't move to MA (!)

- Janq
    I agree, and well stated..

The dude has no one to blame but himself for his situation. I kinda think the gun confiscation is over the top, but it's up to the judge and local law enforcement if they want to issue the carry permit.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Lessons learned here:

1) Don't move to MA (!)

- Janq
    HAHAHA... Now that's funny!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

“It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot ‘indiscriminately’. Target only politicians and their staff, and leave regular citizens alone.”
    Had he been arrested for the blog title, I would agree that it would be over the top. That's simply not the case, he was arrested for the preceding statement which is easily interpreted as an incitement to violence. I agree that there is certainly a double standard when it comes to what progressives spout, but the answer to that isn't to give idiots like this a free pass.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, rather than open it and remove all doubt."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    For what ever it's worth. People granted the ability to carry should consider themsleves "model citizens" and avoid such ill filtered comments as this bloke has done also the fool in Utah that had the Radio. EVEN IF I wasn't into firearms and such I still wouldn't have come close to saying something along those lines.
    How true.

I have friends that aren't gun people and say stupid things to me all the time like "will you shoot this person for me" etc... and think it's funny, I don't. If I were to say something like that (not that I would) I'd be in a heap of trouble if the wrong person overheard me. I even have a friend that had his guns taken away because of his words & actions and now he's trying to get them back. I can't say I feel bad for him, it was a pretty boneheaded move.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

In his blog Corcoran writes, “It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot indiscriminately. Target only politicians and their staff and leave regular citizens alone.”

That sounds like a very public threat to me. If someone made that statement replacing "politicians" with your or your spouses job title wouldn't you be a little upset if the police DIDN'T investigate?
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    In his blog Corcoran writes, “It is absolutely, absolutely unacceptable to shoot indiscriminately. Target only politicians and their staff and leave regular citizens alone.”

That sounds like a very public threat to me. If someone made that statement replacing "politicians" with your or your spouses job title wouldn't you be a little upset if the police DIDN'T investigate?
    I'm inclined to agree. By specifying that shooting indiscriminately is unacceptable, he is implying that shooting politicians IS acceptable and instructs potential shooters to "aim carefully" basically. If you replaced politicians with my family, it'd be a winning bet that I'd be asking law enforcement to investigate that person for threats to our safety and harassment.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

[QUOTE=Bark'n;1854495]Well, then I suggest you go to the Michelle Malkin page and examine those examples closely and explain why a whole lot of left wing nuts haven't been visited by the law and snatched up for Incitement and threatening. I submit that just about every example on that page is a hell of a lot worse than what this blogger said. But it seems it's okay if President Bush is burned in effigy, or had a movie encouraging his assination, or Sarah Palin is attacked, threatened and incite people to kill her.

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/01/10...mer-2000-2010/

if your looking for even and fair, good luck. you'll not find that. reaching across the isle is only a medafore for agree with me or i'll burn you in the media.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Big brother IS watching.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Big brother IS watching.
    Not much watching necessary when you post on an internet blog is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not much watching necessary when you post on an internet blog is there?
    LMBO! You actually got people in my office asking me what I'm laughing at!

Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links