Blog post prompts police to seize weapons from Arlington businessman

This is a discussion on Blog post prompts police to seize weapons from Arlington businessman within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Arlington, Mass. — Arlington-based online comic store founder Travis Corcoran was surprised when a recent entry he posted on his personal blog started attracting thousands ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blog post prompts police to seize weapons from Arlington businessman

Post Blog post prompts police to seize weapons from Arlington businessman

Arlington, Mass. —

Arlington-based online comic store founder Travis Corcoran was surprised when a recent entry he posted on his personal blog started attracting thousands of hits, as opposed to the couple hundred he’s accustomed to.

The reason for the sudden boost in readers was the title of the post, “1 down, 534 to go” in the wake of the Jan. 8 shootings in Arizona that left Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords critically wounded.

Arlington Police Chief Frederick Ryan have seized a “large amount” of weapons and has also suspended the firearms license of Travis Corcoran, 39, who runs the online comic book business HeavyInk.com in Arlington

source http://www.wickedlocal.com/arlington...sial-blog-post

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Another big dummy, IMNSHO.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Ok maybe he won't win something at the good timing awards, but isn't that a little over the top? He didn't threaten anyone and he was only exercising his 1A rights, and not a lot of common since.

I thought we had free speech in this country?

Not that I condone his particular view, I just don't think anything he said was enough to prompt such a strong reaction.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Another bad promotional idea. I guess he got a little more attention than he wanted.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

That "WAS" a pretty stupid comment to make!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Massachusetts does NOT recognize the U.S. Constitution

I agree that is pretty darn thin to have the police come in and start seizing someone's personal property.

He'd also have one hell of a law suit if he could prove he had just acquired one comic book out of a series of 535 produced. It certainly wouldn't be the first time the police over stepped and ended up with egg on their face.

I just don't see an overt threat in that statement.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I agree that is pretty darn thin to have the police come in and start seizing someone's personal property.

He'd also have one hell of a law suit if he could prove he had just acquired one comic book out of a series of 535 produced. It certainly wouldn't be the first time the police over stepped and ended up with egg on their face.

I just don't see an overt threat in that statement.
    O.K. We all know very well what he had in mind, and the police know what he had in mind. He didn't utter a threat but he engaged in unlawful incitement perhaps. Or perhaps, he just showed such really really bad judgment as to demonstrate a lack of mental acumen.

Free speech doesn't include inciting others to violence or attempting to incite others to violence. I gave this analogy in another thread.

17 y.o. says to 12 y.o. brother regarding step -dad; "I sure wish someone would take him out." That is not a direct threat. But now, 12 y.o. takes the words to heart and trips dad at the top of the stairs. We all know how this one will go. Let's say the police never get involved. Step-dad and mom get to be the one to give out justice. Who do you think he might just hold really really responsible for that fall that twisted his ankle; the idiot 12 y.o. or the 17 who spoke with malice and incited the 12 y.o.?

This guy who was raided knew exactly what he was saying. He was just too dumb to understand the consequences and had no idea that when you urge someone else to do illegal deeds you are guilty too.

Nothing thin here. And its time for those here who cheer on illegal activity or defend it, to stop it. It puts our community in the worst possible light and violates forum rules as well.
    Last edited by Hopyard; January 18th, 2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added and mom

I don't know if that was an overt threat, a veiled threat, or just stupidity.

But, if he was to get involved in something like the shooting in Tucson there would be a lot of folks yelling that "the signs were there" and no one did anything about it.

Maybe he needs to exercise a bit more discretion and common sense. Free speech needs to be tempered with responsibilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    O.K. We all know very well what he had in mind, and the police know what he had in mind. He didn't utter a threat but he engaged in unlawful incitement perhaps. Or perhaps, he just showed such really really bad judgment as to demonstrate a lack of mental acumen.

Free speech doesn't include inciting others to violence or attempting to incite others to violence. I gave this analogy in another thread.

17 y.o. says to 12 y.o. brother regarding step -dad; "I sure wish someone would take him out." That is not a direct threat. But now, 12 y.o. takes the words to heart and trips dad at the top of the stairs. We all know how this one will go. Let's say the police never get involved. Step-dad and mom get to be the one to give out justice. Who do you think he might just hold really really responsible for that fall that twisted his ankle; the idiot 12 y.o. or the 17 who spoke with malice and incited the 12 y.o.?

This guy who was raided knew exactly what he was saying. He was just too dumb to understand the consequences and had no idea that when you urge someone else to do illegal deeds you are guilty too.

Nothing thin here. And its time for those here who cheer on illegal activity or defend it, to stop it. It puts our community in the worst possible light and violates forum rules as well.
    So obviously the solution to the problem is censorship. After all, that's the politically correct thing to do!

I'm not talking about threats... But who decides where to draw the line? Big Sis? I think not!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    So obviously the solution to the problem is censorship. After all, that's the politically correct thing to do!

I'm not talking about threats... But who decides where to draw the line? Big Sis? I think not!
    You know who gets to draw the line. It is always LEOs, DAs, Judges, Juries. Legal determinations are almost always made by the "reasonable person" standard.

Look at what happened with that guy in Tucson who was shot. It could be argued that he didn't make a threat at all, and that he didn't even urge anyone to do anything bad. But still, he wound up in the psycho ward where perhaps he belonged at that moment in time. Reasonable standard!!! If my wife smiles at me and says, "honey, your dead," that has a very different meaning than what we saw in Tucson, or how the law would treat precisely the same words if spoken on the street by a stranger, and spoken with an angry tone.

There is such a thing in this world known as "judgment," and all of us must exercise it if we wish to be considered rational sensible people. It is in some ways a special kind of censorship; self-censorship. It is the knowing what not to say and when not to say it.

As for formal censorship of speech, we have it all the time. You can't make veiled jokes about bombs at airports, can you? Not if you want to continue on your journey and avoid a fine or jail. You can't make statements which appear to incite violence (at least to rational minds) and think you are going to get away with it. There is nothing thin here.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Look at what happened with that guy in Tucson who was shot. It could be argued that he didn't make a threat at all, and that he didn't even urge anyone to do anything bad. But still, he wound up in the psycho ward where perhaps he belonged at that moment in time.
    I had not heard this. Which one of the victims who was shot, ended up in the psycho ward? What threats did he make that were not taken as threats?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

There are lots of people who made dumb, stupid and even outrageouis comments..... like Obama.... "if they bring knifes, we'll bring guns ".

But, the real question is.... does it justify this reaction without any due process at all and was it criminal, or was this done for the purpose to purely harrass the guy and be heavy handed ?

There seems to be no direct threat in the comment, even if it wasn't smart at all. I deplore the guy's comment, it was uncalled for and out of line. But withstanding more information ..... I'm not sure it was criminal and it appears to me they over-reacted and may have stepped over the boundaries of their legal authority to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard;
    Here is some examples , courtesy of Michelle Malking that Progressive / LIberals and illegals have spouted : http://michellemalkin.com/2011/01/10...mer-2000-2010/

One key about the "rule of law" is that the law has to be evenly and equally applied to all citizens, no matter what their stance or financial standing within society. When it isn't, then there is no real "rule of law".
    Last edited by Eagleks; January 19th, 2011 at 12:35 AM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well, looks like we don't have free speech anymore, with that said, I will shut up so I don't get the same visitors!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links