California Court Rules Ammunition Ban AB962 Unconstitutional

This is a discussion on California Court Rules Ammunition Ban AB962 Unconstitutional within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=6086 I didn't see this posted anywhere else, so I thought I would post it. I'm sure Cheaper Than Dirt isn't lying since they ship ...

Thread: California Court Rules Ammunition Ban AB962 Unconstitutional

Distinguished Member

California Court Rules Ammunition Ban AB962 Unconstitutional

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=6086

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, so I thought I would post it. I'm sure Cheaper Than Dirt isn't lying since they ship ammo to Cali.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

I am glad to hear that. Sometimes common sense prevails.

VIP Member
    Though happy enough for the ruling going the way it did, I am puzzled by the reasoning.

"The lawsuit alleged, and the Court agreed, that AB 962 is unconstitutionally vague on its face because it fails to provide sufficient legal notice of what ammunition cartridges are “principally for use in a handgun,” and thus is considered “handgun ammunition”

I think we here all pretty well know what cartridges are principally for use in a handgun. Sure, now and again someone gets a Henry in .357, but .357 is principally a handgun cartridge. I like the results, but I sure don't understand the reasoning behind it.

Again, for illustration, and maybe this is more vague, is 22 Magnum principally for use in rifles or handguns? That gets a tad tricky, though I think most folks here would say rifles-with NAA revolvers being the exception.

Good result, but weird reasoning to my mind or I'm missing something and someone will surely point that part out to me.

Law of averages finally caught up with California, nobody is perfect, they are bound to get one right once and awhile.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Though happy enough for the ruling going the way it did, I am puzzled by the reasoning.

"The lawsuit alleged, and the Court agreed, that AB 962 is unconstitutionally vague on its face because it fails to provide sufficient legal notice of what ammunition cartridges are “principally for use in a handgun,” and thus is considered “handgun ammunition”

I think we here all pretty well know what cartridges are principally for use in a handgun. Sure, now and again someone gets a Henry in .357, but .357 is principally a handgun cartridge. I like the results, but I sure don't understand the reasoning behind it.

Again, for illustration, and maybe this is more vague, is 22 Magnum principally for use in rifles or handguns? That gets a tad tricky, though I think most folks here would say rifles-with NAA revolvers being the exception.

Good result, but weird reasoning to my mind or I'm missing something and someone will surely point that part out to me.

It's unconstitutional precisely because of the difficult cases you mention in addition to some other problems such as: What does "principally" mean? 50.1%, 60%? Who's intention, the ammunition manufacturers, firearm manufacturers, end users? Assuming a benchmark for "principally" is set, and one of the preceding groups is selected for term of "intentions," how would you measure that? Plaintiffs were also able to point out that several online sellers such as Cheaper Than Dirt, Midway USA and Ammoman among others decided to simply withhold sales to California for all ammunition orders pending clarification by the California AG (our new AG is horribly anti-gun and would most likely refuse to issue an opinion until she had to: namely when a prosecution for violation occurred - never. No one was going to sign up to be a test case).

It ought to be noted that DeLeon (AB 962's author) drafted a bill in 2010 to clarify what calibers were covered. This was defeated thanks to the efforts of the NRA and CRPA for the purpose of keeping the bill unconstitutionally vague. Now with the higher profile the legislation has achieved after this near miss, it is unlikely to be passed again (a shocking number of California gun owners over the age of 40 only learned about the bill when sellers sent cessation notifications in the last couple of months). If it were passed again, our new/old Democratic governor Jerry Brown would likely veto it - I love the irony of that one: he's more pro-gun than his challenger or our ex RINO was).

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Links