Mayor Bloomberg: "Americans Can't Agree on Guns? Wrong."

This is a discussion on Mayor Bloomberg: "Americans Can't Agree on Guns? Wrong." within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In an article in the Huffington Post, His Honor quotes poll data that states: Americans overwhelmingly believe the Second Amendment protects the rights of law-abding ...

Thread: Mayor Bloomberg: "Americans Can't Agree on Guns? Wrong."

Mayor Bloomberg: "Americans Can't Agree on Guns? Wrong."

In an article in the Huffington Post, His Honor quotes poll data that states:

Americans overwhelmingly believe the Second Amendment protects the rights of law-abding individuals to buy guns: 79% of Americans believe that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to own guns and only 17% would support a proposal to ban all handgun sales.

Americans overwhelmingly believe that felons, drug abusers, and the mentally ill should not have access to guns and that more needs to be done to ensure that their records are in the federal background check system: 90% of Americans and 90% of gun owners support fixing gaps in government databases that are meant to prevent the mentally ill, drug abusers and others from buying guns. Likewise, 89% of Americans and 89% of gun owners support full funding of the law a unanimous Congress passed and President George W. Bush signed after the Virginia Tech massacre to put more records in the background check database.

Americans overwhelmingly believe that its time to close the loopholes that make it possible for people to buy guns without background checks: 86% of Americans and 81% of gun owners support requiring all gun buyers to pass a background check, no matter where they buy the gun and no matter who they buy it from.

The mayor then goes on to state:

"We have come together around a simple idea: it's possible to respects the rights of responsible, law-abiding Americans and do more to keep guns from criminals, the mentally ill, and other dangerous people."

So why then, Mr. Mayor, as a responsible, law-abiding, legal firearm owner, can I carry concealed EVERYWHERE in New York State EXCEPT in your city?

Full Story:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michae..._b_810282.html
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

many of us don't agree with those assumptions at all ... not the way Bloomberg would like to do it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I see a lot of "buying" and "owning", but I did not see "carry/carrying" anywhere.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yes, but wait until you read his listing of "Other Dangerous People"! It would probably include about 80% of the National population.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have noticed that more and more states are coming over to the right side.I was watching the clip on Camden New Jersey and a guy commented on the Police and Fire Dept. layoffs,he said who is gonna protect us?I thought that is how brainwashed gubment has people.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well, I overwhelmingly disagree with most of what he has to say. IIRC, someone did a poll of "NRA members" a while back and that is likely where the numbers are coming from. They were really skewed to fit the MAIG's agenda I believe. Except, NRA does not disclose their membership.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Well, I overwhelmingly disagree with most of what he has to say. IIRC, someone did a poll of "NRA members" a while back and that is likely where the numbers are coming from. They were really skewed to fit the MAIG's agenda I believe. Except, NRA does not disclose their membership.
    Exactly....it was supposedly self-ID'd NRA members....which I don't believe....unless they are fudds who live in NY/NYC/MA/NJ who have been conditioned to believe that only LEO/military should have/carry guns. Many years ago, I believed the same thing....then I grew up.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Exactly....it was supposedly self-ID'd NRA members....which I don't believe....unless they are fudds who live in NY/NYC/MA/NJ who have been conditioned to believe that only LEO/military should have/carry guns. Many years ago, I believed the same thing....then I grew up.
    Living in NJ, I don't know 1 NJ resident / NRA member that agrees with NJ laws.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    In an article in the Huffington Post, His Honor quotes poll data that states:

Americans overwhelmingly believe the Second Amendment protects the rights of law-abding individuals to buy guns: 79% of Americans believe that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to own guns and only 17% would support a proposal to ban all handgun sales.

Americans overwhelmingly believe that felons, drug abusers, and the mentally ill should not have access to guns and that more needs to be done to ensure that their records are in the federal background check system: 90% of Americans and 90% of gun owners support fixing gaps in government databases that are meant to prevent the mentally ill, drug abusers and others from buying guns. Likewise, 89% of Americans and 89% of gun owners support full funding of the law a unanimous Congress passed and President George W. Bush signed after the Virginia Tech massacre to put more records in the background check database.

Americans overwhelmingly believe that its time to close the loopholes that make it possible for people to buy guns without background checks: 86% of Americans and 81% of gun owners support requiring all gun buyers to pass a background check, no matter where they buy the gun and no matter who they buy it from.

The mayor then goes on to state:

"We have come together around a simple idea: it's possible to respects the rights of responsible, law-abiding Americans and do more to keep guns from criminals, the mentally ill, and other dangerous people."

So why then, Mr. Mayor, as a responsible, law-abiding, legal firearm owner, can I carry concealed EVERYWHERE in New York State EXCEPT in your city?

Full Story:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michae..._b_810282.html
    GREAT QUESTION... guess that was not in his poll so do not expect an answer soon

Links