Opinion: Gun Control Emotions vs. Gun Control Facts

This is a discussion on Opinion: Gun Control Emotions vs. Gun Control Facts within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just read this well-written opinion by this guy, link below: John R. Lott Jr. is a Fox News.com contributor. He is an economist and ...

Thread: Opinion: Gun Control Emotions vs. Gun Control Facts

VIP Member

Opinion: Gun Control Emotions vs. Gun Control Facts

I just read this well-written opinion by this guy, link below:

John R. Lott Jr. is a Fox News.com contributor. He is an economist and author of the revised edition of "More Guns, Less Crime" (University of Chicago Press, 2010).

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/20/op...control-facts/
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

John Lott's on our side... shame he's not on some other news outlets as well.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

As with many other things in modern America, gun control is all about emotional response and has nothing to do with objective reality.

Two specific dangers for constitutional liberty arise:

1. The general public has becoming thoroughly convinced that their feelings and emotions are entirely as valid as any proven fact, and are ready to follow those who pander to their feelings and emotions on issues. Those without the capability of logical thought and rational analysis freely accept the "feel good" rhetoric of those promising security in exchange for liberty.

2. Liberal elitists have found that they can easily build a political constituency by pandering to peoples' feelings and emotions, thus achieving positions of power and authority that allow them to dictate the decisions and lives of everyone else. Those who would be our rulers, rather than our representatives, freely deliver promises of security in exchange for liberty.

Only our Constitution (more succinctly expressed, only one vote on the US Supreme Court) stands between free citizens and oppressed subjects. This is why the writings of our nation's founders speak at length about such things as the duty to resist tyranny, and completely explains the inclusion of the Second Amendment in our Constitution.

The founders clearly understood and feared the inherent dangers of government, and did everything possible to limit the powers and role of government. I have come to believe that the founders anticipated a time to come in which many would prefer subjection to liberty, and went to historically great lengths to insure against such an occurance. Only time will tell if their efforts will be honored and cherished, or if those efforts will be shown to be in vain.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

The problem is, the people that SHOULD read this won't. But more importantly they don't care.

Personally I believe 90%+ of Americans firmly believe it is our right as Americans to keep and bare arms. Even those Americans that do not own a firearm still believe we have the right to acquire one if they/we so desire.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    The problem is, the people that SHOULD read this won't. But more importantly they don't care.

Personally I believe 90%+ of Americans firmly believe it is our right as Americans to keep and bare arms. Even those Americans that do not own a firearm still believe we have the right to acquire one if they/we so desire.
    I prefer to keep my arms hairy. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    "In Australia, murder rates were flat after many types of guns were banned in 1996."

The murder rates were "flat"? I'm not familiar with that expression, but it sounds like it means "dropped to zero" which I know isn't correct.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    "In Australia, murder rates were flat after many types of guns were banned in 1996."

The murder rates were "flat"? I'm not familiar with that expression, but it sounds like it means "dropped to zero" which I know isn't correct.
    Rate did not increase or decrease in a statistically significant deviation from the period prior to the event. Murders per 1000 people as an example.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Shootings always evoke emotions and the turmoil that ensues.

On the other hand, autos kill many, many more people each year, have killed more at one time than any shooting, yet anyone can still buy as many as they want, as often as they choose, with no permit or waiting period required, and everybody wants to own at least one. Go figure.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good editorial. I like how even the Telegraph in the UK admits that the UK is four time as violent as the US. Gun control at work!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...of-Europe.html

Links