For those of you who are supporting a compromise to ban any magazine over 10 rounds..

This is a discussion on For those of you who are supporting a compromise to ban any magazine over 10 rounds.. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by shockwave While I don't personally feel that a 33-round magazine would be useful for my circumstances, I certainly like having the option ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those of you who are supporting a compromise to ban any magazine over 10 rounds..

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    While I don't personally feel that a 33-round magazine would be useful for my circumstances, I certainly like having the option of 18 9mm with my SR9c. What I don't get is the arbitrary selection of 10 rounds in all the chatter I see on this topic.

Why is 10 rounds the magic number? Why not 7? or 14? What's special about 10? Is it because there are only 10 Commandments?

Now, if we had some major crime wave across the nation involving high-capacity mags, that'd be one thing, but some crazy doofus going loco with one should not impinge on the rights of all the law-abiding owners, so I'm totally opposed to any "compromise" on this issue. The problem isn't guns, it's about crazy people having too-easy access to them.

The law already prohibits sales to the mentally ill, so any steps taken to strengthen that framework are OK with me because that's just in accord with law already on the books. Like the NRA says, we don't need any new laws, we just need to enforce the ones that are in place.
    Because in some places, 10 rounds is the law already.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    You say no need for hi-cap mags. I have none, either. Why should anyone in their right mind want such a hi-cap mag?

The Constitution is the law of the land. It's up to the banners to prove a reason to abondon or erode 2A. It's not up to us to defend the hi-cap mag.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    The law already prohibits sales to the mentally ill, so any steps taken to strengthen that framework are OK with me because that's just in accord with law already on the books. Like the NRA says, we don't need any new laws, we just need to enforce the ones that are in place.
    Even Loughner's dad had some concerns about his psychopath son with a gun. It's a shame he didn't go to LE about the incident they had the morning of the shooting. People need to be more proactive and less willing to suffer the evil in their midst.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Elections are in 2012. There will be no new gun laws before then. There might be some talk of it on the fringes but nothing will be brought to the floor for debate or vote. Regardless of what congress critters feel, they won't go against what will keep them in office.

Maybe they will get smart and do something constructive about the long overlooked mental health issues this country has. That would be more sensible than looking at magazine capacity.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sponsor

right on

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Question: ~~~> What good can come out of this?

Answer: ~~~> More Greater Cap magazines are being sold right now than ever before.
    That's what I'm saying too! we are being played, and the"this is just the beginning' sounds to me like a really good slogan for a huge hi cap mags sale

We are about to see gun shows more often than not.
    Go with the glow

People need to be more proactive and less willing to suffer the evil in their midst.
    +1
    In the aftermath of every mass shooting we have people coming out of the woodwork with evidence that the perp had a screw loose. Strange that on one is willing to stand up and report the guy before the event.

I'm waiting for a hi-cap fer me musket matey
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

MJK
    Adoption of another unconstitutional restriction is not imminent, but that is no reason to not vigorously work to preempt the restriction. These things sometimes take years to gain enough support for passage, and often the process is hidden from the general public. One day we may wake up and suddenly find the house, senate and president all in agreement to legislate banning hi-cap mags (defined according to them). Then we're behind the eight ball and playing catch-up.

The best defense is an immediate, vigorous and overwhelming response to those supporting this kind of nonsense. Respond to op eds, write letters to the editor, send e-mail to your representatives, let no verbal comments go unanswered, vote in media polls, etc.

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by MJK; January 22nd, 2011 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spellimg

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Get your PMAGs while they are available. :P Toodaloos
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Unhappy Careful What You Wish For

Folks, it is all politics.

It is easier than banning crazy people. I am not saying I agree or disagree, but it is just a fact.

We need to consider whether we are marginalizing our position when we react to the proposals. Politics is the art of the possible, run thru a sausage grinder, with an outcome for which all can claim victory. Victory has many fathers, defeat, none. If we draw lines in the sand that most Americans believe irrational, then our positions become marginalized.

I am not arguing for or against any of this, but we need to be careful and really consider what we want to stand for and what lines we want to draw in the sand.

If they can regulate how much ammo you have in your gun, then they can regulate how much ammo you can have in your possession
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Don't ever say never, we need to protect all of our righits and liberties ....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links