WSJ (Opinion): Why Federal Gun Control Will Not Pass

This is a discussion on WSJ (Opinion): Why Federal Gun Control Will Not Pass within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not to make us less vigilant, or complacent in this day and age: Read the entire article here: http://blogs.wsj.com/capitaljournal/...eral-gun-laws/ I got a call last week ...

Thread: WSJ (Opinion): Why Federal Gun Control Will Not Pass

Post WSJ (Opinion): Why Federal Gun Control Will Not Pass

Not to make us less vigilant, or complacent in this day and age:

Read the entire article here: http://blogs.wsj.com/capitaljournal/...eral-gun-laws/

I got a call last week that reminded me that when it comes to gun control, where one sits – lives, actually – largely determines where one stands on the issue.
    It would not be surprising if the Arizona shootings led to a blip up in public support for stricter gun control, but there is no reason to think it would be anything more than a blip.
    The key swing voting bloc in these key swing states is often made up of current or former blue-collar workers who often share Democrats’ views on economic issues. But on a number of cultural issues, especially guns, they are much less supportive, and dwelling on the issue drives them to Republican candidates who generally oppose gun control.
    That’s why gun control has lost its saliency as a political issue and why such proposals have virtually no chance of passage in Congress these days.

2. Remove Ads

Good article
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Don't get confident. I've met several people who really should know better, who support going back to stronger gun control laws. I have not been able to pin down where they are getting their info.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Don't get confident. I've met several people who really should know better, who support going back to stronger gun control laws. I have not been able to pin down where they are getting their info.
    If in doubt, assume huffington post. They've been pushing it heavy ever since the arizona shooting, and in subtle ways, as well. They're reaching a lot of people with very effective messaging.

Also keep an eye on the media at large. You have no doubt noticed that because of Tuscon, for the time being, every shooting every where is somewhat newsworthy. Shootings that would not be national news are making headlines. Because now there's a story narrative: guns are dangerous and America's gun laws are crazy and we need more and stricter regulations!

And then, after we pass some new strict laws, we will have done something about the problem. Then everybody can go back to watching American Housewives and Facebook.

If you haven't noticed, this is a pattern in US society. If a kid drinks too much Red Bull and has heart palpitations, there will be a movement to ban youth access to energy drinks. Because we have to do something about it!

When the press finally moves on to another cause, this threat to the 2A will be over for the time being. There is zero political will to do anything - neither political party wants to be painted with the anti-brush. The WSJ guy is correct on this score. A few may mumble platitudes in a microphone, but actually pushing legislation through? Ain't gonna happen. It's a ballot-box loser and they all know it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    How come when we bring up a valid point we're grasping at straws or clutching the Bible...but when the other side of the issue say's something completely ridiculous.....?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

The key swing voting bloc in these key swing states is often made up of current or former blue-collar workers who often share Democrats’ views on economic issues. But on a number of cultural issues, especially guns, they are much less supportive, and dwelling on the issue drives them to Republican candidates who generally oppose gun control.

This describes my home state and its coal miners and union workers to a tee.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links