The 2A, Politics and Those who would act wrongly.

This is a discussion on The 2A, Politics and Those who would act wrongly. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A very much on point commentary made today at the NRA site by retired career LEO (NY and GOV), former military serviceman and current principal ...

A very much on point commentary made today at the NRA site by retired career LEO (NY and GOV), former military serviceman and current principal of the Rayburn Law Enforcement Training academy; Michael T. Rayburn.

Why, when it comes to the Second Amendment, must the many suffer for the misdeeds of the few?

When someone seemingly misuses their First Amendment Rights, we donít push for tougher legislation to limit their free speech.

On the contrary, most times the courts have expanded on that personís right to express themselves in the manner they see fit.

Yet when it comes to our Second Amendment Rights, there are full-fledged organizations looking to limit our right To Keep & Bear Arms.

They lay in wait for an opportunity, like the one that happened in Arizona, to pounce on the average American who wishes to exercise their Second Amendment Rights.

More troubling is the politicians, who we have elected and have sworn an oath to protect the Constitution, that have jumped on this bandwagon to take away our Constitutional Rights.

To take away the very thing they have sworn to protect.

- Michael T. Rayburn
    I know this is preaching to the choir here, but what Rayburn has to say above IMHO cuts to the quick.

Whether we as individuals have personal interest, desire or even need for arms or not.
    Even for those among the population who have no interest what so ever in using or possessing firearms, this simple truth toward infringement remains directly relevant.

I'd liked his statement so much that I felt an urge to, with his direct permission, re-post it elsewhere.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The First Amendment is in more danger than the 2nd as of late.

And both are to be defended as equals, by tooth & nail.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I have teeth. Who brought nails? Anyone?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Those in politics are encouraged to disregard the will of the people, in addition to the Constitution.

Example: Clinton praised courage of those in congress who enacted the AWB, knowing that they would be voted out of office as the people did not want it.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    How many in Washington, D. C. would gut 1, 2 and several other Amendments form the BOR if they could get away with it? This is why we have the ballot box and the bullet box. They are preventative measures. The Founders used bullets to make us free, then told us not to do it again in the Constitution. Why? First, because under our new form of government, bullets should not be necessary. Second, I believe they knew that if our government ever got that bad, then armed rebellion might be necessary, but our government would not survive. If America ever comes to armed rebellion (not to be confused with collapse and anarchy), I fear the outcome. We will most likely be stuck with a government worse than the one we toppled.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I have teeth. Who brought nails? Anyone?
    I'll provide some nails.

If America ever comes to armed rebellion (not to be confused with collapse and anarchy), I fear the outcome. We will most likely be stuck with a government worse than the one we toppled.
    This is a great point. "Transitional" revolutionary governments tend to be totalitarian and very slow to enact reform. We are fortunate that the founding fathers of this country stayed true to the principles of democracy.

Links