How do you try to change the law

This is a discussion on How do you try to change the law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys just wondering if instead of complaining about the way the law reads in Montana (which is no carry into places that sell alchohol ...

Thread: How do you try to change the law

How do you try to change the law

Hey guys just wondering if instead of complaining about the way the law reads in Montana (which is no carry into places that sell alchohol which includes all the resturants it seems) I was wondering if one of you guys might point me in the right direction on how this law might come up for amendment. Who do you contact in a state government to put a bug in their ear? Thanks in advance for all suggestions
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

2. Remove Ads

Call the senator/rep from your district. I don't know how it works there, but here in OK we have a website which has email addresses and phone numbers for all the senators and representatives. I've actually had quite good luck with calling and emailing a few here. I've gotten on the personal email list of one senator who knew I was a guy to contact regarding gun laws and I've had multiple phone conversations with a representative from my district. Just be professional.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Check to see if you have a concealed carry association in your state, and if so, join, contact them and see what's on their agenda for new legislation. It's always better to speak to your legislators with more than one voice.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Check to see if you have a concealed carry association in your state, and if so, join, contact them and see what's on their agenda for new legislation. It's always better to speak to your legislators with more than one voice.
    +1 Your local pro-gun organizations frequently hear about proposed legislation and get the information out to members long before anything is said by the news media.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    +1 Your local pro-gun organizations frequently hear about proposed legislation and get the information out to members long before anything is said by the news media.

First , do the above and check there ... to see what they are doing. Support it.
    Second, find a similar law in other states to use an example, and how well it's worked there. If you can, find out who wrote and introduced the law in that state , and ask them if they would be willing to discuss this with Rep's in your area if they were contacted.
    Third, find a legislator who is supportive of the idea and who is willing to introduce it , if they know there is more support behind him/her. Give them names and phone numbers in # 2, so they can contact them and talk to those folks themselves, and how it's gone, how it's worded, etc. Cohorts that have been successful in it, are usually quite willing to help those in other states going down the same path.
    Fourth; Organizations & people who can or will start to hit up their reps and getting them to sign on to help get this passed if Legislator above would introduce it. Hopefully they will co-author it with them. That is what lobbyist are good at ... drumming up the support.
    Fifth : What "committee" would review it and have to approve it to make it to the floor. Start working on members of that committee to gain support.
    Sixth ; If / when it gets introduced..... get everyone possible to get ahold of their representatives and write them so they are almost afraid of the votes they'll lose if they don't support the legislation. Tell them to praise and thank those that have stood up in support of it.

Seventh; hope it actually passes the first time through the process.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Tell your legislators how much money your ideas will safe the government, or how much it will raise for the government.

That usually works.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Tell your legislators how much money your ideas will safe the government
    Ha ha. I tell ya, it's always refreshing to see people who still have idealistic views of government.

No, the way to get legislation drafted and pushed through committee is to tell your legislators how much money your ideas will put in their pockets. You can donate to your chosen candidates directly, and if you max out your contribution sometimes that will be enough to either get face time or a talk with their chief of staff.

Second, you have to form a PAC or find one that will champion your cause and bundle checks. When your legislator comes to believe that supporting your cause will result in a large amount of money he or she can use toward reelection efforts, you will have given that person sufficient motivation to support a bill and drum up co-sponsorship for it.

That will have to occur both in the House and Senate chambers, both of whom will have to ratify their respective bills and finally send the law to the governor, who can either sign or veto. Guess what? Yep, he'll need to be greased, too.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Links