Is it me, or are the States going in the opposite direction of the Feds?

This is a discussion on Is it me, or are the States going in the opposite direction of the Feds? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I see more and more threads of states pushing for looser 2A legislation (either new legislative sessions or in the wake of the AZ incident). ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me, or are the States going in the opposite direction of the Feds?

I see more and more threads of states pushing for looser 2A legislation (either new legislative sessions or in the wake of the AZ incident). Whereas the Federal level is pushing the usual restrictions.

To me this reads as "Hey big brother, the people are speaking...Listen carefully."
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

The 10th Amendment has been re-discovered
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think it's a matter of many states thinking, "My state, my rules."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As the Feds go farther and farther off the deep end the States are starting to come up for air!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'm seeing that it is not only 2A but several issues: health care, immigration, and a host of other issues. States are seeing more and more intrusion/domination, especially in the last two years.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    States are reacting as they should, and in response to the overreaching and intrusive behavior of the Federal government.

It's almost like the Founding Fathers knew this would happen.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I sure hope so. I don't' think any state could justify leaving the union, but we can sue make plain that the federal govt. has a very specific role and they have overstepped those bounds long ago.
    Last edited by Paco; January 28th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    I'm seeing that it is not only 2A but several issues: health care, immigration, and a host of other issues. States are seeing more and more intrusion/domination, especially in the last two years.
    Mucho Agree!!!! It's like a light at the end of the tunnel. That not all is lost. We need to keep being involved, at least at the lower to state level of gov't.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    States are reacting as they should, and in response to the overreaching and intrusive behavior of the Federal government.

It's almost like the Founding Fathers knew this would happen.

Scary how smart those guys were. & How well the Constitution was thought out. They knew how drunk with power people/gov't get.

Quote Originally Posted by coolfrmn View Post
    Scary how smart those guys were. & How well the Constitution was thought out. They knew how drunk with power people/gov't get.
    Well, you have to remember that a number of the states, including my beloved Virginia, were hesitant to subject themselves to a central federal government. They were leery of what the other states might impose upon them, and made sure that they were protected from abuse at the hands of the other state reps.

Definitely a good call, given our situation today.

The States have been sending Obama a message for quite awhile now, even thru new laws, court challenges, the separation of State vs Fedl, etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    Me too, but not allowed to discuss those here.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member
    I've noticed it too. There seems to have been a flood of 2A legislation recently more than I can remember at any one time in recent years. Almost all is geared around allowing carry in more places and removing gun free zones. What is even better is a lot of it is getting passed! :) It's nice to see some legislatures getting it right and understanding taking peoples rights away won't stop criminal behavior and instead want to extend peoples rights to defend themselves.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    You all forget the motto-- from many one E' Pluribus... Want to destroy the USA for good, push the states rights agenda. One nation indivisible, you all insist that folks should be required to recite it but you don't get the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You all forget the motto-- from many one E' Pluribus... Want to destroy the USA for good, push the states rights agenda. One nation indivisible, you all insist that folks should be required to recite it but you don't get the message.
    Want to destroy the USA for good, continue the process of consolidating power in the hands of Washington and subordinating the states to the federal government until they are just another branch of it. This is NOT the way the Constitution is written; the federal government has overstepped its bounds more and more for over a century and if it takes the states standing up to them to reverse it then so be it. Collectivism fails in every nation that embraces it as their philosophy of government.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links