The ATF study on the importability of Certain Shotguns

This is a discussion on The ATF study on the importability of Certain Shotguns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ATFstudy on importality of certain shotguns.pdf Well well. We all know these non-sporting shotguns have been used in numerous crimes, and banning the importation of ...

Thread: The ATF study on the importability of Certain Shotguns

The ATF study on the importability of Certain Shotguns

ATFstudy on importality of certain shotguns.pdf

Well well.

We all know these non-sporting shotguns have been used in numerous crimes, and banning the importation of them will make our streets safer in future.

Even the most heinous acts of recent history have been commited with a handgun... or, If you want to go further, with weapons that are not, and never have been, banned, because they were military surplus, or fit the definition of sporting purpose anyway.

Legislating and regulating inanimate objects is no answer.
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    This BS needs to stop.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6172

Friday, January 28, 2011 "On Thursday, Jan. 27, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives released a Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns, which proposes that “military shotguns, or shotguns with common military features that are unsuitable for traditional shotgun sports” be prohibited from importation. This would apply to all shotguns—not just semi-automatics. As in previous “working group” studies on rifles, the study fails to give proper credit to the widespread use of these guns in newer shooting sports, or to their adaptability to hunting."

We all need to contact our Congress people and tell them to rein in the
    Yahoos at the BATF.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

OD*
    Where in the Second Amendment does it mention shooting sports of any kind, or for that matter, hunting?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    ATFstudy on importality of certain shotguns.pdf

Well well.

We all know these non-sporting shotguns have been used in numerous crimes, and banning the importation of them will make our streets safer in future.

Even the most heinous acts of recent history have been commited with a handgun... or, If you want to go further, with weapons that are not, and never have been, banned, because they were military surplus, or fit the definition of sporting purpose anyway.

Legislating and regulating inanimate objects is no answer.
    Though I agree with you that more gun control will do nothing, I want to object to the comment--"Legislating and regulating inanimate objects is no answer." Does that go for regulating the inanimate objects known as drugs as well? How can we influence human behavior if not through regulation of the objects and items and drugs that humans use to engage in unlawful behavior?

Just putting up food for thought. Both regulatory schemes having been demonstrably failures.

The ATF itself is unconstitutional and should be abolished immediately. Also, legislating and regulating inanimate objects definitely is NOT an answer. Just look at how much more violent this country is since the unconstitutional "War on Drugs" began for a nice shining example.

Already running here
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Though I agree with you that more gun control will do nothing, I want to object to the comment--"Legislating and regulating inanimate objects is no answer." Does that go for regulating the inanimate objects known as drugs as well? How can we influence human behavior if not through regulation of the objects and items and drugs that humans use to engage in unlawful behavior?

Just putting up food for thought. Both regulatory schemes having been demonstrably failures.
    Yeah, prohibition is a prime example. If I am the government, and regulate arms... will that stop someone from having them?

It's like the old saw... If you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns... and some otherwise law abiding citizens will become "outlaws." Or would you turn yours in?

We already spend more of my money (and yours) on this war on drugs with absolutely no return on the dollar. Legalize it, tax it, it suddenly has a positive revenue stream. Example: Gambling taxes pay for gambling treatment programs, etc.

Now? is that a cure..? Nope.. I'm certain there are still plenty of "moonshiners" out there... but the taxes from legal hooch pay the salaries of the "revenooers."
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    The ATF itself is unconstitutional and should be abolished immediately. Also, legislating and regulating inanimate objects definitely is NOT an answer. Just look at how much more violent this country is since the unconstitutional "War on Drugs" began for a nice shining example.
    While I agree with you, the real problem is Congress tasking the Executive branch with making the law!!! This is a basic separation of powers issue.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    While I agree with you, the real problem is Congress tasking the Executive branch with making the law!!! This is a basic separation of powers issue.
    Between that and all these rogue departments and bureaus, we have a lot of blatantly unconstitutional activity going on. I don't know which is worse, to tell you the truth. Both trends need to be reversed immediately.

Links