30 Round Magazine Ban? (Long Post)

30 Round Magazine Ban? (Long Post)

This is a discussion on 30 Round Magazine Ban? (Long Post) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 30 Round Magazine Ban? Let me just start out by saying that the whole thing seems wrong in my gut. When my friend called one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 Round Magazine Ban? (Long Post)

Angry 30 Round Magazine Ban? (Long Post)

30 Round Magazine Ban?

Let me just start out by saying that the whole thing seems wrong in my gut. When my friend called one day soon after the Tucson shootings to ask me what I thought on this matter, I had to admit that I didn’t like it. I kept going back to something Jon Stewart said on The Daily Show about something else when he referenced the story of some jackass, a frozen turkey, and oncoming traffic as pertaining to why we have fences on almost every single bridge that goes over a road in this country:

“This is why we can’t have nice things.”

So one degenerate goes and uses a 30 round magazine (See that? That's right proper English Language Definition, that is. Try it some time, MSM) to kill 6 people and attempt the assassination of an elected official and now we must all be punished. While I understand the strongest argument of the proponents of this measure in that such an item does in fact make it easier to simply spray wantonly into a crowd of people, I can also think of at least one other thing that we have that defies legitimization:

Cars that can go over 100 mph in a country that has 80 as the highest known (to this writer) speed limit.

Try legislating against this and you’ll see a bi-partisan effort mounted to stop you complete with the speech, “Sure, only a ridiculously small percentage of Americans go to the track and legally race their cars at speeds in excess of normal speed limits, but this is America and they can do so if they like!”

Yeah, it’s not what I like to do, but it is legal at a race track, and some folks really go in for that sort of thing. Kinda like some folks just love to go blow 30 rounds downrange to let off steam. Funny thing is, one of these things has a higher death toll than the other. Care to wager a guess as to which one?

If your primary argument for considering the banishment of anything is that your opponent can’t think of a single legitimate use for said item that satisfies you, then maybe you should review your premise and start over. Just my opinion, but I stand by it.

To view this from another direction, allow me to tell you about my EDC. An EDC for those of you who aren’t “hip” to my lingo, is one’s Every Day Carry. I consider my EDC to be more than just one handgun. It’s the whole set-up or “rig” in Firearm Enthusiast parlance. I carry a Glock 21sf on my right (strongside) hip, a Glock 30 in crossdraw on my left (weakside) hip, and a spare G21 magazine behind that. I carry other things daily as well, but let’s focus on the guns here.

I have modified my G21 magazines to hold 2 more rounds than the factory magazines can hold (13+2=15). I used extensions that can be easily purchased online for a small amount of money. All three of my G21 magazines now hold 15 rounds apiece. Additionally, due to Gaston Glock’s genius, these magazines can be inserted into the G30 as a reload to give a 15 round capacity to a gun that ordinarily holds 10 (+1 in the chamber).

This means that:

EVEN WITH THE BAN, I CAN HOLD 30 ROUNDS IN TWO GUNS AND SPRAY DEATH INTO A CROWD.

In fact, I could be more dangerous in such a situation because I have two delivery systems instead of just one. Take one away, and I’m still spraying death. And before you snidely suggest that we simply ban the practice of carrying two guns, stop and think for a second. How would you enforce such a law? The Police have better things to do than ask everyone they meet if they’re carrying two guns. Plus, people can say anything to an Officer of the Law or just shake their head "no" and keep going. Such a law would see it's vast application After The Fact realistically speaking. A Perp shot up a store and killed three people? He also had a second gun on him? Charge him with the extra law to lengthen the sentence. It didn’t stop or prevent anything, but it gave the Police more things to charge the Bad Guy with AFTER the Bad Guy Deed was committed.

Helpful, huh?

All in all, this proposed ban is just a pleasant looking Band-aid on a very unpleasant Sucking Chest Wound. It will stop no one from committing heinous acts of inhumanity, nor will it prevent the use of high-capacity magazines in the commission of crimes. Felons can’t own guns legally, but they still get them somehow. Their criminals, ya know. They do criminal things from time to time.

I would be much more open to ideas that keep guns out of the hands of maniacs like Jared Lee Laughner. Like making it a part of the process to receive your Federal Firearms License (FFL; required to buy/sell firearms commercially) that you have to take a class on profiling like the airports in Israel use to find terrorists and other assorted Bad Guys BEFORE they get on the plane. Must work well, there has never been a single hijacking in the several decades of Israel's existence.

What I’m not open to is the outright banning of inanimate objects simply because some low-life decided to use one to commit a mindless act of violence. Blame the human, not the tool.

As to Laughner? Well, I propose a law that all his (and any future assassin's) “writings” both tangible and electronic should be stacked into a big pile at the bottom of a pit with him on top. Put 3 dirt-cheap .22LR rounds in his skull and light the whole thing on fire. Don’t “study” any of it. He’s crazy. Don’t immortalize him. He’s not worth it. Don’t acknowledge anything from him as anything but what we must all reject in our civil society. And when the fire goes out, fill in the hole and salt the Earth.

Just sayin’…
    Last edited by EvilMonk; February 1st, 2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Clarity of writing and of mind...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Excellent. I loved the "cars that can go over 100 mph" analogy. Great post Monk.

Very well said. I personally don't see a ban coming at this time. With the House controlled by Republicans, and, the fact that pushing gun control is a political suicide endeavor for Democrats, it will not happen this term. Also the current crisis in Egypt and the middle east have pushed this to the background.

If we see any serious push, it will be if Obama is reelected. And if we control both senate and house at that time, not even then.

What I do see is a push to close the so called gun show loop hole and require background checks for handguns.

Very well done!

My honest fear is one ban begats another and another ....... and the ban whatsoever it or they may be only tend to alter the way people act but only people who were never a threat to begin with LIKE US who belive in and follow the law; even if we do not agree with the law we follow it, and so the ban on anything does not = safty in way shape or form fit form or function....

Jon Stewart also commented about the proposal to ban firearms within 1000 feet of a Public official, he asked "does the bill require them to wear cow bells?? and gun owners to carry those chains to mark distance like in a foot ball game?" I thought that was funny!

Exactly, great post Evil

But, you have to take a step back and look at the big picture. The mag cap ban would only be a step on the path to a total ban on guns.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

H. R. 308 has 65 co-sponsors. It is not going anywhere unless 218 members of the US house sign a discharge petition.

Well if the SCOTUS 2nd amend decision did anything, it confirmed our right to have firearms, so a total ban is out. The fight now is restrictions.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sounds like I need to listen to Jon Stewart more (I avoid the pundits like a bad case of the clap).

Her Royal Highness, the mayor of West Palm Beach, is proposing a ban on high-capacity mags. Someone needs to point out to her that the "State" has preemption on all matters with firearms and ammunition. If Bill 45 (?) passes, she could easily subject her esteemed turf to a hefty fine by the State.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sounds like I need to listen to Jon Stewart more (I avoid the pundits like a bad case of the clap).

Her Royal Highness, the mayor of West Palm Beach, is proposing a ban on high-capacity mags. Someone needs to point out to her that the "State" has preemption on all matters with firearms and ammunition. If Bill 45 (?) passes, she could easily subject her esteemed turf to a hefty fine by the State.
    Jon Stewart is worth watching out of all of them he is left but a lot more honest than the other idiots on TV and man is he funny!!!!!!

“This is why we can’t have nice things.”
    I know that you have been in the ultimate "This is why we can't have nice things" and "All must pay for the sins of one" sub-culture of America.

And I know that you know trying to get common sense to fly there rarely works as well.

It's well written, and a nice thought though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Great post! These are the ones I really like to read. Gets one thinking. I propose those evil cars be banned now as they are the real threat here. Imagine the damage a car can do at 80 into a crowd. Don't need thirty rounds. It would have been just as bad if not worse. It just sucks how so many are fixated on taking away someone elses right and almost always based on faulty information. To your point evil, ban guns only law abiding citizens suffer. Bad people never follow the rules. At least with the rest of us legally armed we have a fighting chance.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I think the evil cars are really made by Glock (they just put other names on them)

Sometimes, looking at the final goal, rather than a specific action, provides insight into the purpose of the action.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Great post EvilMonk.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Very good post. I've thought about the fast cars and bikes myself, doesn't mean I think they should go away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links