Now THIS is gun legislation

This is a discussion on Now THIS is gun legislation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Actually a comment on Obamacare, but interesting nonetheless. http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...tizens-buy-gun...

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Actually a comment on Obamacare, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...tizens-buy-gun
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Unconstitutional. The government should not require anyone to purchase anything to live freely in the United States

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I believe that is the point.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Yeah they are not serious. It is a statement. Nuff' Said!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

But Honey, I've got to get one now!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Would it be unconstitutional? I mean... You are required to have smoke alarms in your home. I'm only kidding. ...It does make me proud to live in the state where this law has been in effect for over 2 decades, though.

...See Kennesaw, GA. This is from Wiki. I couldn't find the actual law.

Kennesaw Gun law
    In 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-21][13]
    (a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.
    Gun right activist David Kopel has claimed that there is evidence that this gun law has reduced the incident rate of home burglaries citing that in the first year, home burglaries dropped from 65 before the ordinance, down to 26 in 1983, and to 11 in 1984.[14] Another report observed a noticeable reduction in burglary from 1981, the year before the ordinance was passed, to 1999.[15]
    Statistical analysis of [the] data over a longer period of time did not show any evidence that [the law] reduced the rate of home burglaries [in Kennesaw.] [16][17]
    Noted: []'s added to denote not referenced quotes. Also, the above references[16][17] do not address violent crime or crimes other than home burglaries in their long term statistical review and therefor may be inaccurate.
    However, the city's website[18] has the following entry:
    The Gun Law
    Kennesaw once again was in the news on May 1, 1982, when the city unanimously passed a law requiring "every head of household to maintain a firearm together with ammunition." After passage of the law, the burglary rate in Kennesaw declined and even today, the City has the lowest crime rate in Cobb County."
    I don't think this law has ever actually been enforced. Cool, none-the-less.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The fedgov cannot require you buy anything; that's why states and not feds require auto insurance.

States, however, can require such purchases of a limited number of items. As I recall, some of the colonies required people possess, or have access to, firearms suited for militia service. This may have been written into the state constitutions. Saying anything definite is for a lawyer, or a judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I mean... You are required to have smoke alarms in your home.
    The smoke alarm statute is local. Local governments do not have the same restrictions imposed on it that the federal government has by the US Constitution. The idea behind the whole scheme is that by giving local governments wider power, you the citizen have the option of changing jurisdiction if the laws where you live are oppressive. You can always move to another state.

I like where the guy is going with this bill. Of course the government has no right to tell you what you will and will not buy.

Read "The Founder's Second Amendment" by Stephan P. Holbrook.
    Not only did some of the state's constitutions require free men to maintain arms and amunition, some required the the state to buy them if you could not afford them.
    Th
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

Lead Moderator
    This really isn't anything new. There was a town, I think in Georgia, that mandated that every household in the town own at least one firearm, and this was probably 23 or 30 years ago.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Kennesaw Gun law
    In 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-21][13]
    (a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.
    Gun right activist David Kopel has claimed that there is evidence that this gun law has reduced the incident rate of home burglaries citing that in the first year, home burglaries dropped from 65 before the ordinance, down to 26 in 1983, and to 11 in 1984.[14] Another report observed a noticeable reduction in burglary from 1981, the year before the ordinance was passed, to 1999.[15]
    Statistical analysis of [the] data over a longer period of time did not show any evidence that [the law] reduced the rate of home burglaries [in Kennesaw.] [16][17]
    Noted: []'s added to denote not referenced quotes. Also, the above references[16][17] do not address violent crime or crimes other than home burglaries in their long term statistical review and therefor may be inaccurate.
    However, the city's website[18] has the following entry:
    The Gun Law
    Kennesaw once again was in the news on May 1, 1982, when the city unanimously passed a law requiring "every head of household to maintain a firearm together with ammunition." After passage of the law, the burglary rate in Kennesaw declined and even today, the City has the lowest crime rate in Cobb County

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Been aroumd for awhile^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Did I read a different article than some of you and the people who commented on the actual article itself?

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.
    Looks like a good jab at mandating the people to buy anything. People will get up in arms about this, but wont about mandated healthcare. I believe something should be done about healthcare, but forcing people to buy it is wrong.....
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Links