Bloomberg twisting statistics?

This is a discussion on Bloomberg twisting statistics? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mayor Bloomber states on MSNBC that a person with a gun in the home is 22 times more likely to get shot. That sounds like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloomberg twisting statistics?

Mayor Bloomber states on MSNBC that a person with a gun in the home is 22 times more likely to get shot. That sounds like a twisted statistic only giving half the story in order to trick the public into buying into his ideas.

Does anyone have the inside scoop on this 22 times more likely biz?

Bloomberg is a liar with an agenda

cj
    Looked it up...found http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...ad.aspx?ID=119 which discusses the flaws in the study. Looks like small sample size in specifically chosen areas, and counting number of perps shot vs. number of family members shot...so doesn't take into account missed shots, fleeing at the presentation of a firearm, etc. It doesn't say specifically on this page, but I'd bet suicides are included in the 'family member' numbers.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    If you swim, you are much more likely to drown. If you ride in a car you are much more likely to get in a car accident. It could be true, but your chances of being shot could be so minuscule that 22 times that chance could still be minuscule.

I read a book last year "More Guns Less Crime" and it shed some light on these types of lies but I cant remember what the actual deal is with this particular stat.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Statistically, the bathroom is the most dangerous room in the house. I call for a ban on high capacity tubs...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Lies, darned* lies, statistics. The three types of lies... according to Twain, quoting Courtney.

In a study, yet to be released; 100% of people who have had their concealed carry permit for more than 1 year, have not been the victims of violent crime or house fires in the period since acquisition of said permit. Proof that the concealed carry permit is not only a deterrent to crime, but also circumvents household fires!

I've looked at this study, and have confirmed, with the subjects of the study, that this is indeed true.

So, I axed myself, "Self, has you had any fires in your house since you got your permit?" And I answered, "Nope! No fires! And no one has raised a hand to me or threatened me since I got that little piece of paper! I am amazed at the power of this little document, and suggest that anyone who has a fear of housefires gets one... and it has the added benefit of keeping others polite in my presence."

Thank you self, for this enlightening study!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I found the flawed study method here http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdgaga.html and a few funny quotes along the way. Funniest one -"non gun owners were 22 times more likely to get beaten to death".

A politician that would twist or distort statistics, in this country? C'mon....

Really? Bloomberg? say it ain't so.

Bloomberg is a very rich, fat, liberal anti-gunner with bodyguards. He is supposed to lie. Even a deaf person can tell when Bloomberg is lying, his lips are moving.

A King/Diety cannot lie. Anything he says automatically becomes truth.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Your 22 times more likely to get constipated after reading anything about Bloomberg,or the Brady Bunch
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I had never listened to an interview with him before. The interview started off normal with the statement that we should prosecute anyone who sells a gun to a person that states that they wouldn't be able to pass a background check. Ok, I agree with that. Then alludes to the idea that we should require background checks at gun shows. I don't see anything wrong with that, I know some do, theres good and bad arguments on both sides. He skipped the topic of personal individuals, aside from gun shows, selling firearms with no background check and went strait to the B.S. statistic which is an attach on legal gun ownership in the home. He skated across the slippery slope issues and then stuck his bias out in front on full display and the interviewer never called him on it. Ahhhh!!!! Crap professional journalism!

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Statistically, the bathroom is the most dangerous room in the house. I call for a ban on high capacity tubs...
    Don't give them any ideas. They already banned high capacity toilets didn't they...?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links