NC Castle Doctrine scheduled for reading

This is a discussion on NC Castle Doctrine scheduled for reading within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Those of us in NC need to be all over this. It is scheduled to be introduced Mon, Feb 7th. Read the text of the ...

Those of us in NC need to be all over this. It is scheduled to be introduced Mon, Feb 7th. Read the text of the bill here. Let your reps know we need this law.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...%20&BillID=s34
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    With the new legislature this may finally get passed, been introduced over the last three or four years but dies in committee. Next we need to work on restaurant carry and some of the other restrictions.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Good luck, hope you get it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

We need it, the current law as it reads is too vague and is defective, in my non-legal opinion.

With you guys keep the pressure on.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Deborah Ross must be peeved about this since she has been the sole person responsible for killing it every year by not letting it out of committee.
    It has always passed the senate, usually unanimously. I see it passing by a land slide but its politics so we need to keep the pressure on.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    Deborah Ross must be peeved about this since she has been the sole person responsible for killing it every year by not letting it out of committee.
    It has always passed the senate, usually unanimously. I see it passing by a land slide but its politics so we need to keep the pressure on.
    One of my reps, Warren Daniels, is co sponsor and co chair of Senate Jud II. If it gets in there it will be voted on. He is very pro gun as well. But yeah, it's always been the house side where it went to die. Interested to see how it fares tomorrow.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I just had this exchange with Senator Daniels, my rep. If you have a Senator on the Judiciary II committee, tell them we want this effective immediately. Let's get this done. Currently the law does not go into effect until Dec.

Sen. Daniel,

I see that the Castle Doctrine bill has been referred to Jud. II, which you co-chair. Is it a possibility to arrange the law so that it is effective immediately upon signing? Since this change requires no changes in procedure, time to plan for it, or any real affect on a state agency it would not seem to be a problem making it effective immediately. Thank you again for your support of this legislation and your service to our Burke County and the state of North Carolina.

Sincerely,

Jason
    =======================
    I think that this is a valid point and will bring it up with my colleagues.

Senator Warren T. Daniel

You can check the members of Senate Judiciary II here.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Commi...%20Standing_71

Also a companion House bill was introduced today. Time to email your House Reps too.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...011&BillID=H52

SB 34 has been strengthened to compete with HB 74. It includes some very good language now instead of the old compromise stuff. It does not include all of what HB 74 does, so there is some good and bad.

Good- includes workplace, property, vehicle and personal stand your ground language; plus civil immunity for justified SD in any of those situations. Sweet!

Not so good. The language for sexual assault as a reason for deadly force seems to be missing, at least in this bill. 3rd party language is a bit more vague. No punishments for trying to file a civil suit after it's ruled justified.

It also just passed it's second reading.

Also, HB 74 Castle Doctrine passed through the sub committee and is headed to full committee. However, it did meet some resistance in committee, so this may not be a done deal yet. Also, the bills that pass have to be reconciled and sent to the Governor. Progress though.

VIP Member

Bill is gaining momentum.

Senate tentatively OKs presumption for deadly force

Raleigh, N.C. State senators tentatively approved a bill Thursday that gives a stronger legal basis for people to use deadly force if they feel their lives are threatened during a forcible break-in at their home, car or job.

Senate Bill 34, which attempts to expand widely what's known as the "castle doctrine," is considered to be a crime deterrent by supporters who say that legally armed citizens should have the right to protect themselves against unlawful entry.

Existing North Carolina law allows the use of deadly force to someone in a home, but the person might have to prove to police afterward he was faced with a reasonable fear of death or bodily injury.
    And of course the anti's fear mongering.

Opponents worry the law could be misused to kill someone tapping on a car window for directions.
    Senate tentatively OKs presumption for deadly force :: WRAL.com

Maybe with the new legislature this will finally get passed. Then we need to work on restaurant and park carry.

VIP Member
    Passed the senate, now onto the House.

Castle doctrine expansion approved by NC Senate

RALEIGH, N.C. — There's a legal presumption people inside their home, car or business are justified in shooting an intruder in legislation now heading to the North Carolina House.

The bill expanding the state's "castle doctrine" was given final Senate approval Monday night.
    Castle doctrine expansion approved by NC Senate :: WRAL.com

Castle doctrine in NC where does it stand now?

Everything for the Castle Doctrine is in committee in the House right now. There is a crossover deadline for bills. They are focused on new bills and getting them through the crossover deadline now. Crossover deadline is June 9th. After that, no more new bills and they re focus on the old bills that are in committee. At least that's what my Senator told me. He's pro 2A so I'll take him at his word. Here is his response. Any news I hear I'll post over here too. I've been a bit too busy to keep up with all of it lately.

Since the crossover deadline is June 9, the Senate is focusing on mostly Senate bills that have to pass prior to that date. If they don’t, they can’t be considered this session. In regard to 2nd amendment type bills, I think that ultimately there will probably be several of those that are consolidated into one bill later in the session and passed as a whole. I get your point on the Guice amendment. Will discuss it in committee. Thanks for your input.

Links