Ohio Mayors fear bill would allow guns in parks

This is a discussion on Ohio Mayors fear bill would allow guns in parks within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thomas Ott Plain Dealer Reporter Mayors in Cuyahoga County fear that state lawmakers soon will rob them of the right to bar gun owners from ...

Thread: Ohio Mayors fear bill would allow guns in parks

Ohio Mayors fear bill would allow guns in parks

Thomas Ott
    Plain Dealer Reporter

Mayors in Cuyahoga County fear that state lawmakers soon will rob them of the right to bar gun owners from packing pistols in the parks.
    A bill approved by the House would strictly limit city control over the carrying of concealed weapons, which was legalized by state law two years ago. The Senate is considering slightly different legislation.
    State Sen. Joy Padgett, a Coshocton Republican, said the state has to tighten the ground rules for carrying concealed weapons because varying city laws leave gun owners uncertain as to where they may tread. With each city adopting different rules, gun owners don't know what's legal as they cross municipal boundaries.
    "We have determined that gun laws affecting law-abiding citizens do not deter criminals from carrying wherever they well please," said Padgett, who speaks for the Senate majority on this issue.
    "The criminally minded, they don't care what laws you pass," Padgett said.
    The legislation, which also could restrict assault-weapon bans in Cleveland and other cities, had officials worrying at a recent meeting of the Cuyahoga County Mayors and City Managers Association.
    The proposed law would not stop cities from keeping out of public buildings, a right given to them in the 2004 law.
    But Timothy Cosgrove, lawyer for the mayors group, said the legislation appears to prohibit outlawing firearms in parks.
    Some Cities banned guns from after the state's concealed carry law took effect two years ago. The state law is vague on the question, and the cities wanted to resolve doubt, Cosgrove said.
    Cosgrove and others said the new gun proposal is the latest in a series of attacks on the Ohio Constitution's principle of home rule. Home rule gives chartered cities the final say in local affairs. The legislature has in recent years prohibited cities from forcing employees to live in the communities where they work. Lawmakers also have blocked cities from deciding where gas wells can be drilled and setting higher standards for building than are required by state.
    "It's another shot at home rule," said Parma Mayor Dean Depiero, a Democrat who formerly served as a state representative.
    Padgett said home rule applies to local issues, but gun control is a statewide concern. She said letting cities tailor gun control would be like permitting them to set requirements for driver licenses.

+1 for Sen. Padgett
    maybe we can get the rest of them to wise up!
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

2. Remove Ads

Criminals just are not concerned about the laws of the land therefore, law abiding citizens need continunity in the state. This just makes sense to me.

Assistant Administrator
    Concerns need not be toward the ''clean'sheet'' legal CCW's, ever. But so often it seems we are ''punished'' by being deprived of carry rights - where we all know darned well the BG's will, as ever - flout any and every law they so choose.

Padgett is a welcome voice to hear overall.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Hope this happens in TN as well....
    cant currently carry in any state park....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Senior Moderator
    Whats the big deal about pistols in the parks ?

A bill approved by the House would strictly limit city control over the carrying of concealed weapons, which was legalized by state law two years ago.
    State Sen. Joy Padgett, a Coshocton Republican, said the state has to tighten the ground rules for carrying concealed weapons because varying city laws leave gun owners uncertain as to where they may tread. With each city adopting different rules, gun owners don't know what's legal as they cross municipal boundaries.
    Thats a no brainer.
    Ohio has some big anti gun cities. The CCW law isnt worth much if you have to figure out were you can and cant legally carry everytime you take a trip across the state.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Cuyahoga county is full of a bunch of ex-hippies who don't want people to be able to protect themselves in the Cleveland MetroParks system or anywhere else for that matter. These are parks that have biking/jogging trails in Suburban areas. The way I see it, you could become easy prey because many of these MetroParks are very wooded. Anyone from NE Ohio want to chime in?

BTW-This newspaper (Cleveland Plain-Dealer) prints the names of people who apply for CCL in the newspaper!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stand these people's mindset!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

You're right Doc, I live in NE OH and the areas people like myself like to go for a jog it's pretty scary in the wooded parts. I carry while biking/jogging everytime we go. Who knows what/who is waiting to attack in those bushes.
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Yeah, I know the area pretty well. My inlaws live in Strongsville.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Lead Moderator
    Glad MI decided we can carry in state parks, now if they would change the national park ruling.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rabid Coyotes

Remember the people that were attacked by rabid coyotes in the Cleveland Metroparks just last year?

and the best part is that we still haven't heard from the courts on the challenge to the Clyde, Ohio ban on guns in their city park...

"We have determined that gun laws affecting law-abiding citizens do not deter criminals from carrying wherever they well please," said Padgett, who speaks for the Senate majority on this issue.
    Amen-
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Quote Originally Posted by MR D
    and the best part is that we still haven't heard from the courts on the challenge to the Clyde, Ohio ban on guns in their city park...
    City of Toledo vs Bruce Beatty deals with the same issue and is already at the 6th District Court of Appeals which also covers Clyde. Therefore, whatever the decision rendered in Beatty will automatically decide the Clyde case.

The Plain Dealer printed my letter written in reponse to the original article.

http://www.cleveland.com/letters/pla...390.xml&coll=2

Links